Top Shelf Aquatics

72 Gallon Bow Front Nightmare!

Todesengel

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey what brand of spray paint did you use on the back of your tank? Color?

Krylon Blue Fusion for Plastics. There is only 1 blue.

what are you doing for rock?

I am going to transfer this tank over to the new tank. Not sure if I want to use anymore live rock. Total is around 50lbs.

2701575907_5ee07e8e71.jpg

Been watching this thread and sucked to see what happened to your first bow front. Looks like everything is going good now though!

48" 2x150 sunpod is on its way!!! I got it for $200!!!

Just curious did you by chance get this from a guy in Iowa? I picked some stuff up from a guy the other day and asked him about his lights and said he was shipping them to a guy in Arizona. Looked to be in really good condition.

Been watching this thread and sucked to see what happened to your first bow front. Looks like everything is going good now though!

Just curious did you by chance get this from a guy in Iowa? I picked some stuff up from a guy the other day and asked him about his lights and said he was shipping them to a guy in Arizona. Looked to be in really good condition.

That is awesome! And yes he is in Iowa lol.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1530777

The mag7 return pump that came with the tons of crap I bought off that guy died on me... The plastic housing on the front of the impeller shaft snapped off and got jammed between the blades. I took it apart and now its running with a wobble in the pump lol. So any ideas on return pumps? I have a 1" bulkhead drain, and a 3/4" return bulkhead. Also where I poured some sand in from my display tank, I got a diatom bloom.

things look really good, i dont think the intake matters for the return pump just the return because wont the pump just be in your sump? so get another mag or try a QO. cant wait to see what you do with the rock.

Can you not repair the mag drive? I've seen impeller and shaft replacement parts.

Ya I already ordered it. I had to order the pump cover. $14 shipped from some pond website.

Mag 7 is repaired, here are some new pics! My 2x150 sunpod will be here next Tuesday! I am stoked!

Also, I am at the end of a cycle. I just tested the water, and 0 ammonia, 10 nitrate, and 50 nitrites.

3133993350_41171b4ff8_b.jpg

3133993264_6d7487b70c_b.jpg

No you are not. Your cycle ends after nitrite zero.

actually your "cycle" ends at zero nitrates not nitrites, and he said hes near the end. but really a cycle is not over when your nitrates are zero, the tank always is balancing itself out. but youve got diatoms, so thats a good sign, do you have more live rock you are going to put in because its going to cycle also unless your doing it in a bucket.

actually your "cycle" ends at zero nitrates not nitrites, and he said hes near the end. but really a cycle is not over when your nitrates are zero, the tank always is balancing itself out. but youve got diatoms, so thats a good sign, do you have more live rock you are going to put in because its going to cycle also unless your doing it in a bucket.

Actually he was right. Cycle (as used in reference to when it's ok to begin adding livestock) is over when ammonia and nitrite are zero. Water change at end of cycle is to dilute nitrates. IME, it takes a lot more time for a tank to run with 0 nitrates.

Edit: technically, you're correct though.

Edit X2: Actually, upon further reflection, technically the "cycle" is never "over". But, like I said above, typically the "cycle" is defined as the period between when a tank is started and when it becomes established enough to begin stocking.

Actually he was right. Cycle (as used in reference to when it's ok to begin adding livestock) is over when ammonia and nitrite are zero. Water change at end of cycle is to dilute nitrates. IME, it takes a lot more time for a tank to run with 0 nitrates.

Edit: technically, you're correct though.

Thanks thats what I thought. And yes it takes over a month to get nitrates to read 0. I've never registered anything but 0 in my tank. Then again I add live stock really slow and am extremely patient.

LOL you guys. I meant, the tank is nearing the end of the cycle. Way to nit pick! haha

I know I am not finished, and I won't be finished cycling untill I do a lot of water changes. I am in California now, and I did a 10 gallon water change before I left. And all the rock, except one piece was in my 29 gallon tank. I have 50lbs right now in my 29gallon, that I will be transfering to the 72 gallon after the cycling is complete. I am not sure If I want to use near 100lbs of LR, or if I am just gonna aquascape the left side and leave the right side open for some clams and sand sitting corals. Anyway, Merry Christmas!

Currently at 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 10 nitrates. Got my light today. The was packed great, and had fragile stickers all over it. Yet I saw the box had a good kink in it sitting on the porch. The bulbs are in working order, but need replacing. And the housing on the light is cracked pretty good. Nothing that I can't fix with some plastic weld, but still... Should I file a claim against UPS? I had insurance on it.

Oh, and I added 3 4-striped damsels and a couple snails a few days ago... just so it wasent empty lol. Damsels are gonna come out when I move the 29 Gallon into it. I want to pull the trigger and move it tonight!! lol But I know I should do a few more water changes and get those 10 nitrates out.

Link to big picture:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3080/315238...f73a2ec07_o.jpg

3152382740_cb4ac7923e_b.jpg

Archived