Pod Your Reef

72 Gallon Bow Front Nightmare!

Todesengel

About the water being cloudy: I have Oolitic sand in my 42 hex. It was cloudy for 4 days and then I finally gave up. I started up my sump and rigged 100, 50, and finally 3 micron filter socks to clear the water. I'll Never use Oolitic sand again. It blows everywhere with a lot of flow and it simply does not clear from the water column.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the water cleared up yet? Where's the new pics??!! :)

Nope... still pretty pretty cloudy... LOL

I rinsed the sand I swear! But apparently not good enough!

I believe I know how all of your misfortune bagan...you ride a Honda. If you had been on a Kawi this never would have happened! :)

Good luck with your tank, Ive been looking for a 72 bow for myself here in Denver. My little 7gal just isnt cutting it anymore.

I believe I know how all of your misfortune bagan...you ride a Honda. If you had been on a Kawi this never would have happened! :)

I know right!!! If I had a Kawi I would of spent all my money fixing the Kawi, I wouldent of been able to afford the tank!! Stupid Honda should break more!!

I know right!!! If I had a Kawi I would of spent all my money fixing the Kawi, I wouldent of been able to afford the tank!! Stupid Honda should break more!!

zing :lol:

So...is it cleared up yet?! :)

Nope!! Not yet! But here are some pics to hold you over until then! The dust is so chalky it sticks to the side of the glass. And when the skimmer pulls it out, its like chalky paste and very hard to clean off the skimmer plastic. I got 2 of them running overtime on this tank!

3111626428_8cdc4d6902_b.jpg

3111626340_e005d0480d_b.jpg

3111626536_cc0ee3b7a8_b.jpg

3111626622_ebd12e84e1_b.jpg

3111626730_e8c223295f_b.jpg

Obi Juan kenobi

Your both wrong :P If you rode a Yamaha you would be way better off ;)

Hmmm, as far as lighting goes...

I found one of these a year and a half old on craigslist for $400, i think I can talk him down to $300.

http://www.marineandreef.com/Aquali..._p/res53506.htm

Or I already have a 150w 20" Sunpod.. I could buy another one and use them as pendants... One on craigslist right now with new bulb for $150...

Or I could buy a new nova extreme pro for $350 shipped...

As a MH fan Don't get the NEP. Done 1 down 2 to go.

lol

I'd stay away from coralife. Most of their products lately have not been getting good reviews.

I think I might save up a couple more months and get a 48" 2x 250 Sunpod... Its only 8" wide so I could still use my canopy if I get some serious ventilation! Which I really really really want to use my canopy lol, but its the cheap plastic oceanic canopys. I wonder if it could stand up to the heat of 2x250... I also don't want to have to force myself to get a chiller.

Almost there! I put a couple pieces of live rock in, an a cup of sand out of my current aquarium to get some life in there. Salinity and temp are good, water is almost clear. I don't think its gonna clear up much more without some carbon or chemipure. The skimmer is pulling out some nasty stuff! It's almost black!! There was some serious dust in that sand, and I even rinsed it out a little bit!! I threw an old 100w PC on top just for the hell of it. Prob won't be until after new years when I can afford my light, so there won't be anything in here for a couple weeks!

3115245108_0a56f1da01_b.jpg

3115244700_d9563fd740_b.jpg

3114414141_2f3ffaf882_b.jpg

3115245018_b8a3ca9d77_b.jpg

3115244934_4746e4bb07_b.jpg

So the tank is on cruise control till 2009???

Looks good. Actually surprised it began to clear up. I never turned my skimmer on when I was adding the sand. I'll do that next time. Seemed to work for you. I don't think I will even bother rinsing 120 pounds of sand....

I threw my 20" 150w Sunpod on top, and I think 2x150 might be a little low on the lighting side.... But I am not sold on spending the extra cash on a 2x250 just yet...

3115324352_116e87b273_b.jpg

3114494777_7e62526d71_b.jpg

3114494885_c74fcdbeee_b.jpg

3114495065_a011fcf483_b.jpg

nice, I like bowfronts :happy:

I would say 2 x 250 is overkill for your tank, I don't see why you are not considering a retrofit T5 setup? use some nice reflectors and cut down on heat and power.. the only downside is if you wanted to keep SPS on the bottom, a 72 bow is pretty deep from what I remember..

2 x 150 with supplemental T5's would be awesome too.. I would also remove the glass covers, but that's just me, good luck!

Glad to see it's starting to clear up! In the pictures I don't think it looks bad at all with the 150w Sunpod - it's a lot brighter than I expected! Looking good! :)

nice, I like bowfronts :happy:

2 x 150 with supplemental T5's would be awesome too.. I would also remove the glass covers, but that's just me, good luck!

Well the problem is, the canopy doesent really have a hinge or anything, so any retro stuff would have to come off and be unplugged from the hood every time for feeding. And the fact that the bow front is roughly 18" wide in the bow, and only 13" wide on the sides. Most 48" lights are 14-15" wide, so they won't fit under the canopy.

Archived