Pod Your Reef

Chucktown 20H

divecj5

Still waiting for the wife to figure out the exact right place for the tank. I told her once it's filled, it's not moving til we move :) Should be filling tonight.

So my next question is, to fuge or not to fuge? I was thinking about using an AC 110 or AC 70 as a place to hold some chaeto, filter floss, and a way to get the Stealth heater out of the display. What do you all think?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always go sumpless :) do a 110..I am keeping my DFS Hob with the surface skimmer...I am very happy with it and keeps the surface nice and clear, I run phospure and filter floss in it

Can't wait to see it up :D

I always go sumpless :) do a 110..I am keeping my DFS Hob with the surface skimmer...I am very happy with it and keeps the surface nice and clear, I run phospure and filter floss in it

Can't wait to see it up :D

I've never had a sump on any of my tanks either. Is this the one that you're using on yours? Linky

Thanks for the input.

+1 on the 110, chaeto in there is always an option. Lani's is set up that way. Good luck man

Thanks. I think that a 110 will be my next addition...that is once I have the tank setup :) I will have to check out Lani's thread, loads of pages to go through, to see the pics of her fuge. I am thinking it will be a great place for Chaeto, some filter floss, and a nice submersible light.

I've never had a sump on any of my tanks either. Is this the one that you're using on yours? Linky

Thanks for the input.

Yep that is it..I have the 25 on my 10g and the 75 on my 75g :)

I went this rout because on my 40 I have the 110 with the AC surface skimmer attachment but it's humongous with the attachment lol but the AC is a great filter

Oh, I didn't even realize they had different sizes. I will be getting either the 55 or 75 since they are at least 1/2 the cost of the AC. Are there any major differences between Drs. F&S and the AC?

Do you have any pics of it running on your thread?

the 110 does 500gph..

I did notice the ones from Drs. F&S have less powerful pumps. I'm just wondering how much different they are in general layout. I just want maximum space for chaeto, heater storage, and filterage :)

Yes I sacrificed a bit of flow but I knew that I would have enough wit the pH's..I mainly use the HOB's for floss,carbon, phosphate remover..I have also thought of using it as a fuge but never got around to it

I will PM u pix

Placed the sand and rocks and pouring in water as we speak. Should be 3/4 full by the end of the night and finished and pumping tomorrow :happydance:

Kinda nerve racking starting over.

Hey Adam - it's getting exciting - huh? Can't wait to see pics! Water night is alway fun and I'm glad to hear you're at this step. I'm leaving for vacation on Sunday and a little scared about leaving my tank for a week. My neighbor will be feeding the fish daily and everything else it automated so hopefully it goes smooth.

Get those pics posted soon - I'd love to see the tank before I leave!

Hey Adam - it's getting exciting - huh? Can't wait to see pics! Water night is alway fun and I'm glad to hear you're at this step. I'm leaving for vacation on Sunday and a little scared about leaving my tank for a week. My neighbor will be feeding the fish daily and everything else it automated so hopefully it goes smooth.

Get those pics posted soon - I'd love to see the tank before I leave!

Thanks Karen. It is about 1/2 full now and should be topped off this afternoon. Just ran out of space to hold the mixing saltwater. I will grab some pics tonight as long as it's not too cloudy. I added the water slowly and used the "sitting a bag on top of the sand" method so it's actually really clear right now. Except for the usual sand scum on the top.

Let me know if you need me to swing over sometime during next week just to make sure that things are still running smoothly. I would be happy to test the water for you or at least just check on things if you need.

It is completely up and running now...just topped it off and plugged in the Vortech. Such great, wide, random flow I really think the corals and fish are going to love it.

Let the cycle begin. Guess I better head back to the Beginner's section and read up on the cycle again :) Just kidding...time to sit back and let it do it's thing. Guess I should go and find an NH3, NO2, and NO3 test kit.

After letting things settle for a little while, I decided it was finally time to break out the camera. First set of pictures are with just the Aquablue Spezials and the rest of with all five bulbs going (3 Blue Spezials and 2 Blue Plus).

Enjoy and let me know what you think. It looks like I might need some more rock but I'm going to resist the urge right now. I usually end up packing my tanks too full of rock and I think this scape will look nice once I can move my SPS over from the 29.

FTS

_MG_9259.jpg

Left to Right

_MG_9264.jpg

Right to Left

_MG_9268.jpg

_MG_9269.jpg

FTS w/Daylights

_MG_9271.jpg

Now I just wish I could speed up the cycle...can't wait to get my fish and coral moved over.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I will definitely have a hard time resisting moving things over but I know better :) Back to watching the rock come alive which is pretty fun in and of itself.

I like it alot! I also like the aquasape, people do tend to pack small tanks with too much rock...I like the way it looks and will give the SPS room to grow out

I need a Vortech.

Awesome stuff, I likey the blue background :)

I like it alot! I also like the aquasape, people do tend to pack small tanks with too much rock...I like the way it looks and will give the SPS room to grow out

I need a Vortech.

Awesome stuff, I likey the blue background :)

Thanks :) I think it will leave me some room for growth with the caps and other SPS that I have.

I have still yet to try and get a standing wave going in there...might try it tonight and snag a video if I get it rockin'.

Almost one week in....haven't tested anything yet as I"m just letting it ride out for at least another week before I test for NH3, NO2, NO3 etc. No visible signs of algae or life yet :)

I will definitely grab some more pictures once there is something of note to take a picture of :) I have yet to get a wave rocking in the tank so once I have the chance to figure that out further I will post up a video.

Just been busy with getting ready for Christmas and wrapping up things at work.

Oh boy we are having some fun now!!!!!!

hi.gif

\

Haha....glad you made it over to the thread Spanko. Hope you can keep up with this thread and provide your helpful insight and suggestions like you have done with the BC29 thread.

Haven't been on here much for a while now. It was getting a little strange and I thought I'd take a break and hit some of the other sites I belong to. Looked on this morning and saw that you are still hooked and now starting another tank. Can't wait to see the progress.

Archived