inTank Media Baskets

Clownfish died...anyone know why?

WhiteVelvetStarfish

WhiteVelvetStarfish

I bought an Ocellaris clown about 3 days ago. I only bought one because i wanted to try adding a bigger black and white one to see if they would get along (suggestion from someone on here).

I come home today and the poor little guy is stuck to the bottom of the pump, dead. He was doing fine and eating well and didn't appear to be sick or stressed. There doesn't appear to be any damage to his body (other than that which was obviously caused by the pump). This was a small clown but not small enough that he could have been sucked into a stock pump for a 14g biocube.

All that i have in the tank with him are a few hermit crabs and snails and a peppermint shrimp.

My nitrates are below .3 mg/l

My PH is around 8.0

My Salinity is just a hair over 1.026 so i know that is a little high (it was low earlier so i added water changes with more salinity and i guess i went a little overboard).

Everything else in the tank appears to be fine, do you think that the salt levels being to high could honestly kill a newly bought, possibly stressed fish? Could it have been lonely? Anything i am overlooking about the water conditions?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Do you know if he was tank raised? My very first clown was wild caught and didn't last more than a few days...they are more prone to diseases than tank raised clowns...Salinity is a little high, but in my opinion not high enough to kill him..you would have seen signs of discomfort...

I bought an Ocellaris clown about 3 days ago. I only bought one because i wanted to try adding a bigger black and white one to see if they would get along (suggestion from someone on here).

I come home today and the poor little guy is stuck to the bottom of the pump, dead. He was doing fine and eating well and didn't appear to be sick or stressed. There doesn't appear to be any damage to his body (other than that which was obviously caused by the pump). This was a small clown but not small enough that he could have been sucked into a stock pump for a 14g biocube.

All that i have in the tank with him are a few hermit crabs and snails and a peppermint shrimp.

My nitrates are below .3 mg/l

My PH is around 8.0

My Salinity is just a hair over 1.026 so i know that is a little high (it was low earlier so i added water changes with more salinity and i guess i went a little overboard).

Everything else in the tank appears to be fine, do you think that the salt levels being to high could honestly kill a newly bought, possibly stressed fish? Could it have been lonely? Anything i am overlooking about the water conditions?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

WhiteVelvetStarfish

any ideas? I had a Damsel die the same way before the clown. Any hitchhiker type predator that could be in the tank would actually eat him, not just let him float around right?

He was def. tank raised.

TheUnfocusedOne

sometimes it just happens

if they are both from the same store it could be the store itself

whered you get it from?

your from ct huh?

nice to finally see people from the home state on here

WhiteVelvetStarfish

yeah there's not a lot of people from CT. i was actually buying some coral from someone in CT on here on sunday so that the clown could have something to host :(

and they are both from different stores. neither i think was a good store but i don't really have a choice around here. no LFS in the area really.

and the temp is between 80 and 82 and yes i let him adjust for like half an hour before i put him in.

yeah there's not a lot of people from CT. i was actually buying some coral from someone in CT on here on sunday so that the clown could have something to host :(

and they are both from different stores. neither i think was a good store but i don't really have a choice around here. no LFS in the area really.

and the temp is between 80 and 82 and yes i let him adjust for like half an hour before i put him in.

and you turned the overhead lights off right?!

Just trying to eliminate a common cause of new fish death.

WhiteVelvetStarfish

He was probably just a weak specimen from a bad LFS. :( Well if everything appears to be fine with my tank, i'll try again.

thanks guys!

TheUnfocusedOne

never heard of moosup, guessing thats upstate?

theres no real fish store in this state

there two i know of around me that are any good and 1 wants ~$80 for normal brown xenia :blink:

WhiteVelvetStarfish

well thats not a very good one lol. Moosup is a little hole in the wall right over the RI line. I am about 10 minutes from mass and 10 minutes from RI at the same time.

Archived