Innovative Marine Aquariums

lighting Retrofit for Eclipse System 12?

DodgeRam

I used a CSL 32 watt smartlight like the one they sell here.  The holes line up with the holes for the original light but this leaves the light far from centered.  Also if you use the original holes, you can keep using the switch on the top of the hood.  I used T-12 to seal just the bulb and left the reflector exposed.  Its not perfect and takes some fanagaling, but it works for me.

• 1 month later...

I also used the set up from here, I did use the stock screw pillars but cut them down about half way so the reflector sits closer to hood and further from the water. also to center the light I drilled new holes into the reflector. I put the first 1/4" from the end furthest from the fixture and then the second hold 8 3/4" from the first. I cut a 1/8 plexi glass to create a cover to protect the lights from splashing It seems to work well. I have pics if you want

dave

I have the SuperNova retrofit kit coming on Friday.  I'll post my review then.  You can get it from Chris's store and it has a rubber end cap so you don't need to worry about covering the bulb.

• 2 weeks later...

Discodave, please post those pics - I am curious.  I am not such an avid DIY guy, and my own CSL 32w retro is off-center and I am curious enough to try I think...  Also - I like drrivas' idea of covering the light.  It may be that I am just nervous about electrical and water because I am unexeperienced with electrical, but I'd feel better if my bulbs were not getting splashed on as they are now.

No problems so far, but I am nervous about it.

BTW - I could not get the switch to work on my retro - it would not fit under the rubber gasket on top - but it is not much of an issue for me as I use a timer anyway.  :-)

Archived