Innovative Marine Aquariums

20" and 24" LED fixtures also available

evilc66

lol

Soon enough. I ordered the big ass heatsink yesterday. Should be here this weekend. 36"x8.5"x1.3" @ ~16lbs!! It's a biggun. I'll post a picture when it comes in.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Props to Evil on this. For anybody that doesn't know Evil, he is as his title states, is a LED GAWD.

I have great confidence that this thing will be sweet.

I got one question. I know all these units are 8.5" wide, what is the maximum width of a tank that this light could be over? and would adjusting the height the fixture above the tank change that at all?

Cheers, Nick

Props to Evil on this. For anybody that doesn't know Evil, he is as his title states, is a LED GAWD.

I have great confidence that this thing will be sweet.

I got one question. I know all these units are 8.5" wide, what is the maximum width of a tank that this light could be over? and would adjusting the height the fixture above the tank change that at all?

Cheers, Nick

Until I test a little more, I'd say 18" is the max that it would be effective. You could raise the fixture up a little to get more spread, but you loose intensity. I'm going to be experimenting with some different optics to see how it ultimately affects light output. I did some light studies using CAD models with a 25 degree lens and this fixture will completely light an 18" wide tank. Moving to a 30 or 40 degree lense could get you running on a 24" wide tank, but at what cost? I'm going to start with a 30 degree optic and go from there.

NIce!!!

I have my own harem of cats (3 at home, 1 at the office) and a great puppy. I suppose it only makes sense for a person who cares about an animal that has no reciprication of emotion (corals/fish/inverts) would HAVE to have some other pets too.

That badboy looks good.

I have four too. All the same color. Drives my wife nuts because she can't tell them apart. Then there is the 60lb "cat" of an Australian Shepard. Bounds around the house thinking he is 10lbs and feline.

That heasink is a tank. Shipping wieght was 17lbs, and it's flat as a pancake. I have used a lot of extruded heatsinks from him before and the service and price has been great. I still need to find a good use for your new toy Chris ;)

He looks just like Thor. Same color eyes too.

Wow, this thread got off on a strange tangent. All we need is Dahliah in here now and it would be complete!

I'm hoping to have this one build in the coming weeks. Hopefully some of the LEDs I need come a little quicker than expencted so this can move forward a little quicker. As it stands it could be 3-4 weeks before its finished.

I don't know what shipping to Canada will be, but with all the fun of import and GST, it could be pricey to ship. If I can get a few of these ordered at the same time (like I did with the 12" group buy) the 24" fixture will be $550 plus whatever shipping is. If I have to do these as one-offs, the price will be a little higher because I get hosed on shipping prices for the parts. That price is TBD. I think I should be able to get a few of these ordered at once though.

PurpleGORILLA
I'm hoping to have this one build in the coming weeks. Hopefully some of the LEDs I need come a little quicker than expencted so this can move forward a little quicker. As it stands it could be 3-4 weeks before its finished.

I don't know what shipping to Canada will be, but with all the fun of import and GST, it could be pricey to ship. If I can get a few of these ordered at the same time (like I did with the 12" group buy) the 24" fixture will be $550 plus whatever shipping is. If I have to do these as one-offs, the price will be a little higher because I get hosed on shipping prices for the parts. That price is TBD. I think I should be able to get a few of these ordered at once though.

Nice, can't wait to see the finished product. I am interested in a 20" for my solana if the finished products look professional. Was gonna go with 250w but might be sway.

• 1 month later...

No updates yet. Still working on getting my first fixture running. Certain events around the household have slowed things down unfortunately. I was hoping to be finished with it by now. I'm pretty confident in it's potential performance though.

Fingers crossed for next month. I'm hoping to do a group buy for more LED goodies, and these might be one of them.

• 4 weeks later...
No updates yet. Still working on getting my first fixture running. Certain events around the household have slowed things down unfortunately. I was hoping to be finished with it by now. I'm pretty confident in it's potential performance though.

Fingers crossed for next month. I'm hoping to do a group buy for more LED goodies, and these might be one of them.

interested in this! tagging along cant wait for pictures and final product!

Soon. :)

Hey Evil....Do you also have any plans for something smaller would fit on the Nanowave 9? If not, would you happen to have any recommendations?

Archived