SaltCritters.com

20" and 24" LED fixtures also available

evilc66

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
L-16" x H-14" x W-16" which includes the area in the back for the filters, etc..

I have plans for a 16" fixture. Keep your eyes peeled.

Evil, interested in one that would work, for a tank 30x20x22"H. Love the kittehs; the dumacat says hipost-41502-1237057931_thumb.jpg.

Pretty kitteh.

Hmm, wide tank. I'd have to figure out how to do that one.

Cool, its a nice little tank but its kind of at a standstill. Some serious lighting would add a whole new twist. The stock hood/lighting generate so much heat, going topless seems natural.

No updates yet. Still working on getting my first fixture running. Certain events around the household have slowed things down unfortunately. I was hoping to be finished with it by now. I'm pretty confident in it's potential performance though.

Fingers crossed for next month. I'm hoping to do a group buy for more LED goodies, and these might be one of them.

Let me know, if you need someone to participate, any thoughts on going modular like AI for us 120 gallon folks? It would provide more options and less expensive heat sinks.

dailydriven911
I have been talking with some people about doing a 36" unit. I still have to figure out some of the details, but it's looking to be in the $750 range. It will have the same basic design (which I will be posting images of, I promise), just longer, and more LEDs

If there is interest, I can push a little harder on getting it sorted out sooner.

I think you will have plenty of interest! I'm starting my 40b project right now and would love to get my hands on a 36" fixture. Hope to see more progress soon!

Let me know, if you need someone to participate, any thoughts on going modular like AI for us 120 gallon folks? It would provide more options and less expensive heat sinks.

Hadn't really thought about how to approach this. The way I set up the arrays for constant coverage doesn't lend itself to a modular approach just yet. Maybe in another revision. Right now the best coverage comes from making the fixture specific to the tank.

I think you will have plenty of interest! I'm starting my 40b project right now and would love to get my hands on a 36" fixture. Hope to see more progress soon!

Soon enough. After I get the plumbing somewhat situated on the new tank, I will be able to put more time into the fixture. I was hoping to have it done by now.

How far in the future do you believe this would be? I'd definitely be interested in a 16"

Hey evil, I was thinking about how you could get a modular array or a heatsink that is smaller than your sandbed to cover more area. You could go to a local machine shop that deals with aluminum and get them to machine say 1/4" deep holes on a certain degree offset. Say the outer leds on the heatsink were aimed 10 degrees from the center of the fixture, the center leds were aimed straight down, and the all the leds within the outside and the center were aimed very slightly outward. You could get better coverage and if you used narrower optics on the outer leds than you wouldn't sacrifice too much par.

I have thought about that on numerous occasions for certain applications. Don't think I'm quite prepared to spend the money to get it machined just yet, unless you guys want me to adjust the price accordingly? ;) Right now, the 8.5" heatsink works fine on tanks up to 18" wide. Wider than that and I would go with dual 5.375" heatsinks.

I have thought about that on numerous occasions for certain applications. Don't think I'm quite prepared to spend the money to get it machined just yet, unless you guys want me to adjust the price accordingly? ;) Right now, the 8.5" heatsink works fine on tanks up to 18" wide. Wider than that and I would go with dual 5.375" heatsinks.

Well I really have no idea how much that would cost. My dad has some machining equipment that we have used for drilling, leveling, cutting, and bending steel. I have seen aluminum catch on fire before and Idk if I would feel comfortable working with it. But I am considering the much cooler possibilities of it.

Seriously. Aluminum is one of the easiest materials to machine, and won't errupt in fire for damn near any reason.

Seriously. Aluminum is one of the easiest materials to machine, and won't errupt in fire for damn near any reason.

yes it is, thats why its a favorite.

vivereilmoment

How are you coming on the prototypes? Looking into doing a 20L when I get my scholarship money for summer, maybe I could send some your way if the LEDs are ready...

Tank is up and running now, so I will have more time to focus on the prototype. Might be a few weeks before it's finished though.

Help help, my aluminum burst into flames!

omgomgomg omgomgomg

:lol:, I'm not sure if that's even possible. Not while machining at least.

• 2 weeks later...
Tanque Verde

I am watching this thread, as I watch all of evilc66's threads, with a great deal of interest. I want more PAR and color options on my 18" x 10" zoanthid tank. Evil's much-hyped but not yet seen superslim actinic light would help with color, but this fixture might accomplish both. And $200 cheaper than the AI.

Seriously though my physics teacher was grinding a solid aluminum block and all the aluminum dust caught on fire and we couldn't put it out so we just let it burn out.

Aluminum fire hazard

This must have been why it erupted.

Archived