Coral Vue Hydros

20" Nova Extreme Pro Review

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Background:

I setup my 24g Aquapod in June of 2007. I bought the pod with the 150w Sunpod from DFS when it was on sale. I did a few mods to the pod and set it up and was VERY happy. Growth of my few corals was pretty good, the colors were nice, and I really loved the LEDs as moon lights. I was using the stock bulb and I was overall impressed.

I decided I needed some actinic supplementation so I ordered a Coralife Aqualight 1x28w 20" light from Hello Lights with a dual actinic bulb and the adjustable Coralife legs. It could kind of sit on the back of the tank leaning against the sunpod and gave great color when it was the only thing on, but made only a little difference when the sunpod was also on.

In April of this year, I wanted a little more useable real-estate in my display, and debated between a Finnex M30, Cadlights 39, and a BC29. I went with the BC because it was a 3 chamber design, I wouldn't have to buy a new stand, and Nanotuners had one in stock without the hood for like $100. After doing the swap, I had already upgraded to a 15k XM bulb (great color, terrible PAR I just found out this week) and the Sunpod and Aqualight would sit on the larger tank PERFECTLY. Overall, I was pretty happy with the colors, but the 2 fixtures did not look good!

So right after I did the swap I ordered a 24" Outer Orbit. It was 1x 150w and 2x 65w PC. This thing was HUGE, but the combo led me to believe the colors and growth would be great. So that was the setup I ran until 2 weeks ago I sold it to SMURF on here.

In the meantime, I had aquired a stock hood for my Aquapod. I thought to myself, I need another tank setup but I want the AIO look with the hood. So I ordered the Nano Tuners 3.36 upgrade and installed it in the hood. As I did the install, I noticed there was still a lot of room left, and the reflector/shield for the 3.36 upgrade is the same as the 4.36 one So I took one of the stock ballast, mounted it in the hood along with another 28w bulb, and made a hood with 136w PC and 3 separate plugs for greater control than the NT 4.36 hood. I used this hood for a week and a half between the Outer Orbit and the NEP. The corals like it, it was good light, but I suspect their affinity for it was due to the MH bulb needing to be replaced in the Outer Orbit.

FINALLY, yesterday night I get in my 20" NEP from Current USA on EBay (fixtures was won for $195 shipped!). It is AMAZING! It is brighter than the Outer Orbit with all lights on and the color is a wonderul 17-18k (basing off what color my XM 15k looked like). It is a bright white with a slightly blue tint, so some may say its more of a true 15k look. I can not believe how bright it is. Another great feature is the lights are split 4 on one switch and 2 on the other, so you can cut 2 on first then a while later cut on the other 4. I think this light is going to be the trick for my tank. Below is my summary of Pros and Cons of each setup I have owned.

*SUNPOD*

Pros:

-Cheap, small unit with many sizes and wattages available

-Lunar lights, really nice to observe night creatures

-light weight

Cons:

-No actinic

-Some may not like the look

-Lunars can often go out, and then you have a MH fixture only

*OUTER ORBIT*

Pros:

-MH and PC in one unit with lunars!

-Create a full lighting cycle

-Units look more sleek IMO due to curves

Cons:

-Big and bulky looking o a 20" tank (overhang, ewww)

-only 2 lunars, and they're not super bright

*NANOTUNERS HOOD*

Pros:

-Keeps top on, AIO look

-Lots of PC light, bulbs are pretty cheap too!

Cons:

-Even a lot of PC light is no T5 or MH

-Expensive and need DIY to install

-Color is only ok looking, unless you make 2 bubls complete Actinic

*NOVA EXTREME PRO*

Pros:

-20" Unit, NO OVERHANG

-Light weight

-Cooler than MH

-Bright, contoured reflectors do a pretty good job!

Cons:

-(MAJOR) lack of bulb support/choice

-No shimmer from MH (subjective)

-No lunars (a little bit of a big deal for me)

Overall, for a 20" unit, I would say the NEP is the way to go, unless you just have to have the shimmer of MH, and then you can't lose with a Sunpod and 14k or 20k bulb.

If a 24" unit is for you, then I would sugges the Outer Orbit with a 14k bulb and 2 Dual actinic PCS, or a 20k MH and 2 50/50 PCs. At 24" though, you open up to a Tek or other T5 unit, and I think T5 is the way I will be staying for a while. Pics of the NEP to come tonight. ENJOY!

i would have gotten the 24" outer orbit with the 150w MH and the (2) 24w T5's :]] that would have been nicer than anything with PC's and after you'd see the color/growth you would care much about the over hang at all, the tank is supposed to distract you from the amount of life support running it, hahaha

The NEP is nice but sadly noone but them makes the 18w T5's lol

Nice choice though man and it looks like you've went through a decent amount of setups in short time

post up some pics of the NEP :]]

I am glad it worked out for you. i know last week you thought you messed up by getting. so many people have so many different opinions on lighting that if you find someting that you like is what matters.....IMO

+1 on pics

-No lunars (a little bit of a big deal for me)

Can't you just get one of those cheap lunar strip lights from ebay?

I can't believe they haven't made more short t5ho's for nanos. I think they're missing a lot of the market.

Crackerballer
Can't you just get one of those cheap lunar strip lights from ebay?

I can't believe they haven't made more short t5ho's for nanos. I think they're missing a lot of the market.

I totally agree. I can get a strip of LEDs, but that is also added cost. I am looking into one of the 12" Current USA strips that had 4 LEDs, 2 white 10k and 2 blue 460 as they call them. I may try to find a way to sit it/mount it inside the NEP fixture.

I totally agree. I can get a strip of LEDs, but that is also added cost. I am looking into one of the 12" Current USA strips that had 4 LEDs, 2 white 10k and 2 blue 460 as they call them. I may try to find a way to sit it/mount it inside the NEP fixture.

I was refering to something like these. Maybe they could be attached to the back edge of the light fixture??

led strip

A 420nm bulb would be a vast improvement all by itself. What really needs to happen is ATI, Giesemann and UVL start making bulbs for it.

Crackerballer
A 420nm bulb would be a vast improvement all by itself. What really needs to happen is ATI, Giesemann and UVL start making bulbs for it.

Yea you know what they say though, want in one hand...

Crackerballer

The tank has been moved a little to the left now so that the top off bucket is now on the right side of the tank and a lot cleaner looking. I am probably gonna get a laundry hamper to set the top-off container in so it looks cleaner.

The tank has been moved a little to the left now so that the top off bucket is now on the right side of the tank and a lot cleaner looking. I am probably gonna get a laundry hamper to set the top-off container in so it looks cleaner.

Looks great - I'd deffinately consider that light if I was to set my bc29 back up.

I hope you have some kind of lid for that top off bucket. I'd be concerned having it in the open and with no lid on it.

Crackerballer
Looks great - I'd deffinately consider that light if I was to set my bc29 back up.

I hope you have some kind of lid for that top off bucket. I'd be concerned having it in the open and with no lid on it.

Why is that? I actually do have a lid but don't use it.

Nice setup, Baller. I have the same light for about 3 months now... haven't seen much coral growth. Was considering the Outer Orbit or Sunpod just to see how it fairs in terms of growth.

Is the dual fans annoying you? It's driving me nuts... if I do stay with the NEP, I probably do this mod:

http://www.bderen.com/DIY/

Crackerballer

The fans don't really bother me. I do think they are kind of excessive, considering the 1 fan my sunpod had and it got a lot hotter. I am so stoked about the other bulb selections I am not sure what to do. I will have this fixture for a while, but right now I am toying with the idea of trying to convince my g/f to let me put a 90 gallon DSA Neo tank (3'x2') where this tank is now, so that would be a CRAZY upgrade!

• 2 months later...

I just ordered the NEP 20" for my JBJ 24. I can't wait and after reading what you said make me even happier. I'm also looking forward to a 420nm, if they do, light upgrade when Current-USA comes out with them.

• 7 months later...

Archived