Top Shelf Aquatics

Solar Cells for Canopy fans...

Korova

I recently read a post about using solar cells to power canopy fans. Has anybody tried this? Does anybody have any ideas? I know the fans don't use very much "juice" but I like the idea of the fans coming on as soon as the lights power-up. And it seems to be a fun DIY =) Any help is appreciated...

WOW!! This DIY project might be srapped in the planning stages. I just called my local radio shack, they said they had a solar cell that might work but its $80. WOW, noway... Anybody got any ideas? If not I'll just hardwire the fan, thought the solar cell was neat though...

• 1 month later...

I don't know if thier specs are right but you could buy a bunch of cheap calculators with solar cells, wire them together and use that...then again I'm not sure if their voltage would work

• 3 weeks later...

I have to high output cpu fans total of 22 cfm and my air temp still hits 90+f try looking at cooler guys.com for fans have many selections .bigger is usally better less noise for more air speed [cfm] then try looking at emund scientific for solar cells may have to solder in series to get your common 12 v.dont know how to covert amps to watts most fans are rated at milliamps anyway.et me know if you need anymore help will try to answer them

Hey Korova,

I have my fans plugged into the same timer that runs the lights, so they come on at the same time. That might be easier than solar cells....

JPeD

• 2 months later...

Fans require a lot of power, moving air is not easy.  In order to use your Solar Controlled Fan setup, how about using a solar cell to trigger the lights instead of actually power them?  Lights come on, hit the solar cell, solar cell run to a small circuit that turns on  a fan.  Overcomplication is easy!!!!

Archived