Pod Your Reef

Choice of nem

showjyr

Been wanting a nem for a long time and I'm just about ready to buy. I have a mature 29g with several corals a 150w MH and 48w of T5 HO and running a fuge. I have 2 false clowns and those are my only fish, my bioload is pretty light. Water conditions are perfect and the tank runs very smoothly.

What kind of nem would someone suggest?

I'm also building a 12g rimless that will have a 70w MH and 36w of actinic PC. This will also have a 10ish gallon sump/fuge. I'm starting with mature rock and sand from another tank and have considered stocking with one B&W clown, nem, and a few corals. What do people think?

For false percs, the recommended anemones are:

carpet

mertens

ritteri

sebae

having said that, i have 2 false percs hosting a bubble tip AND a long tentacle... my experience has been that clowns will host almost anything. don't get a sebae as they are notoriously hard to keep. i originally got the long tentacle because it was pretty and it liked to eat which i thought was cool. my bubble tip has retreated into the most inconvenient, hard to see crevice. the long tentacle lets his freak flag fly in the front of my tank.

Regards,

AG

I know what you mean, everytime I go into the lfs I think to myself, what does anyone know, I could keep that BTA in my 14gal biocube, who cares if its only been up for 2 months lol. then I realize I am an idiot. :P

I'd get a small bubble tip, carpets and sebea's have poor track records and could use more light honestly, plus huge. Either way any healthy nem will outgrow it eventually but small bubbles are easy to find and most clowns will host in them. Hopefully you get one that stays put since you have corals in there also.

Red bubble tip, red bubble tip!! I really want a red one someday, I'm just a pansy and scared of killing it. Or it crawling all over my tank and killing stuff. Or my insane clownfish beating it to death which is most likely. I'd have to buy a huge nem and let it acclimate without the clown around.

Archived