SaltCritters.com

Smash's 5.5 gallon AIO

ash71089

use silicone with no mildew resistance in it from HD. there isnt much pressure on it so it should hold up fine. cant wait to see what the t5's look like on your tank. good luck and im now watching your thread

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kermitthedaniel

there isnt a great bond between silicone and acrylic, it will eventually come off very easily. another thing you could do is get a piece of glass and then have the acrylic silicone to the glass for the overflow, and drill and small hole in the glass for the maxi. and yes make sure you DO NOT get a mildew resistance silicone.

Silicone will hold just fine for this application. There is virtually no pressure on the acrylic, so unless it's flexing, there is no worries. You don't need to go to the trouble of sandwiching glass to acrylic just to get a good bond.

It will help if you rough up the surface of the acrylic a little where you are going to glue it.

I used GE I silicone in the sump for my 5.5, it bonded the acrylic to the glass and even acrylic to acrylic very well. A big tube is only about $5.

Scholar - glad to see that you're watching my thread. how did you cut the teeth in your lexan? Did you get it done by someone or did you make a template in wood?

I have access to a 3D Mill so ya everything is done by a lath :) I know that you can use a hot knife even Like I said put as many teeth as possable and then you could use the 600 maxi i find that I have enough flow with the 400 but I could always have more. I just didnt want to botch the job that had been done already by taking a hot knife to it.

yeah. my dad has a mill machine in our garage (its not a 3D mill) but he is going to try with it. If that doesn't work then he knows some people with a 3D mill. I'm with you on the knife thing. The teeth on yours looks a lot more "professional" and clean.

Even if it takes longer to get the teeth cut, I will wait.

well I am so sick of dealing with this buisness. The first time they drilled the hole too big and in the wrong place. So I take it back saying it was wrong. I go to pick it up today the hole is in the right spot but is too small. And they charged me another 10 dollars. I couldn't believe it. So I spent 35 dollars on glass and acrylic and the dang this still isn't right. I'm not going back though, I'll fix it myself.

ugh, so frustrating.

Now that I've gotten that out. I am not sure if I will have it up and running this weekend because I have tons of studying to do before finals next week. If not it will be the next weekend.

I got the light in Thursday and it surprised me how bright it is. I cannot wait to get this thing started.

On a bad note, I found out today that the dorm I am moving into in the summer does not allow pets at all including fish. So I don't know what I am going to do. I am trying to figure that out before I dive into this.

I got the light in Thursday and it surprised me how bright it is. I cannot wait to get this thing started.

On a bad note, I found out today that the dorm I am moving into in the summer does not allow pets at all including fish. So I don't know what I am going to do. I am trying to figure that out before I dive into this.

My dorm doesnt allow fish either. But you can get buy with it. Especially with a 5g tank. I have a 12g and they never say anything!

haha that was my thought also.

i just don't want to take it down there and then they say well you cant have it and then have to move it all again.

Justin_Freebords
haha that was my thought also.

i just don't want to take it down there and then they say well you cant have it and then have to move it all again.

eh id say just sneak it in. My school allows tanks up to 15 gallons i think? But nothing other than fishtanks. We still managed to get a 10gallon tank, tons of sand, a heat lamp, constant bags of crickets and a scorpion into our room as well without anyone ever even seeing us....sometimes i think people must think my roomate and i are the weird animal kids. a scorpion and wannabe piece of a reef

Im debating on whether or not to paint the acrylic. Im either going to paint it black, blue, or just leave it clear. What do yall think?

I left mine clear as it allows light to reach the macro-algea in the refugium from the main tank area for photosynthesis in addition to the light they receive from above which does not reach the macro-algea deeper down in the refugium.

hmm.. i didnt think about that. i wish there was a way to make it a little opaque. I thought about sanding it with extremely fine grit sand paper, but I am afraid that it will attract too much grime and i wont be able to get it off.

edit: i saw a thread on reef central a long time ago where someone did sand their acrylic., but I cannot find it. If someone knows what I'm talking about please link it on here

Heya, looking to start a 5.5gal pico myself, one thing I noticed about your tank is that the wall separating the 2 chambers reaches all the way to the bottom of the tank, I think you'll need to find a way to leave a gap between the two for proper water flow! good luck!

Heya, looking to start a 5.5gal pico myself, one thing I noticed about your tank is that the wall separating the 2 chambers reaches all the way to the bottom of the tank, I think you'll need to find a way to leave a gap between the two for proper water flow! good luck!

yeah i know in the picture it looks that way, because i havent siliconed it in yet, i just had it sitting in the tank

Archived