inTank Media Baskets

Group Buy on Pico LED Fixture - (CLOSED)

evilc66

The main switch will be kept as a master on/off, but there will now be seperate power supplies for the different colors so you can independantly turn them on and off for dawn/dusk effects. Thanks to ElFab for showing me the ways on that one (solves a headache that I had on this too).

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soon enough (adding it to the long list of retros). If you are seriously interested in doing it, shoot me a PM and we can talk.

Sounds like a very neat little thing you're doing here. I will definitely jump in on the bandwagon if I get any deeper into the Picotope niche.

However, I have a question for you evilc66:

What size fans did you use for the fixture and how did you wire them? I want to add some fans to my 12" Dual Current PC fixture to cool it some (as the day wears down it heats my tank a bit) but I wasn't sure how to power them or what size is needed. I see the fixture already has the mounting spots for fans. I was thinking of doing a negative pressure thing where all the heat is pushed out and nothing comes in.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts on this!

This whole thread makes me want to mod a 20" sunpod fixture with LED lights.

i'm thinking the same thing whats the measurements of the retros? i wonder if it would be possible to replace the current leds thats on the sunpod with these while still keeping the MH. It would be nice to use these as atintic supplement along with the MH. if the measurements is right you wouldn't have to much cutting, deffinatly lmk i'm very interested.

Sounds like a very neat little thing you're doing here. I will definitely jump in on the bandwagon if I get any deeper into the Picotope niche.

However, I have a question for you evilc66:

What size fans did you use for the fixture and how did you wire them? I want to add some fans to my 12" Dual Current PC fixture to cool it some (as the day wears down it heats my tank a bit) but I wasn't sure how to power them or what size is needed. I see the fixture already has the mounting spots for fans. I was thinking of doing a negative pressure thing where all the heat is pushed out and nothing comes in.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts on this!

It's a 50mm fan. You might have to get one that is low profile (10mm thick) to fit inside between the end cap and the bulb. It was tight on the 1x18W. I would just get a fan like that and a 12v power supply and run it dedicated, and on the same timer as the latest running lights (actinics maybe).

The fixture only fits one fan, unless you mod the other end. You can change the flow direction just by flipping the fan around. Usually a "positive pressure" setup works best in situations like this, where you are blowing air into the fixture.

May I know how many foot is this fixture?

12" (1 foot)

i'm thinking the same thing whats the measurements of the retros? i wonder if it would be possible to replace the current leds thats on the sunpod with these while still keeping the MH. It would be nice to use these as atintic supplement along with the MH. if the measurements is right you wouldn't have to much cutting, deffinatly lmk i'm very interested.

Well, you won't be able to use this to replace the LED modules in the Sunpods. Too big by a long way. It's not to say that it can't be done some other way. I wouldn't know where to start unless I got to see the inside of a Sunpod. With the increased heat of a MH in that fixture, you wouldn't be able to have too many LEDs either. It would be hard to keep the temperatures at a reasonable level. Again, not saying it can't be done, just that it will take some work.

Well, you won't be able to use this to replace the LED modules in the Sunpods. Too big by a long way. It's not to say that it can't be done some other way. I wouldn't know where to start unless I got to see the inside of a Sunpod. With the increased heat of a MH in that fixture, you wouldn't be able to have too many LEDs either. It would be hard to keep the temperatures at a reasonable level. Again, not saying it can't be done, just that it will take some work.

yeah i thought about the heating issues also after posting. the heat on the tank shouldn't be a problem since i have a chiller anyway. but the heat inside the fixture may be a problem, the MH may get too hot for the components on the LEDS. i measure the space it was 5" x7.5" on both sides. i was thinking cutting out the areas on the sunpod and cutting the reflectors on the retro in half. so there would be half on each side of the MH. IDK you would know better than me i'm not a DIYer. Just wishful thinking i guess.............

Well, if there is some interest in this, I'll try and look into it. I just need to find someone that will let me tear their Sunpod apart :lol:

Maybe I'll just get myself a 150W Sunpod for my BC14 and use that as a guinea pig.

Well, if there is some interest in this, I'll try and look into it. I just need to find someone that will let me tear their Sunpod apart :lol:

Maybe I'll just get myself a 150W Sunpod for my BC14 and use that as a guinea pig.

If i had a backup light i would send you mines to experiment with. hmmmmm.....man im very interested to see if this would work. this would be one hell of an improvement to the sunpod. i dealing with my frag tank breaking right now. after i take care of it i may be able to use my 4 bulb t5 as a bach up. that is if you're willing and have the time.

I'll definitely entertain the possibility.

Sweet! man i just notice that you were in mi also! even better don't have to worry about shiping or anything. imagine the possibilties if this works. i found a replacement tank im just waiting for a drill bit. maybe after thanksgiving we can work something out.

This thread rivals Calvins 12'er build as far as innovation is concerned IMO. I'd set up a pico and order a fixture just to support your cause if my wife would let me!!!!

Great work man, you're really on to something here.

Falcon_Punch, let me know when you want to order one ;)

Glenn, I think you have enough on your plate right now. But if you get the itch for a pico, let me know. Heck, if you decide you want to set up an LED array on the 40B, we can talk too. I have a few larger fixtures that I will be working on here in the next few weeks.

Oh, and I don't even compare to Calvin415's masterpiece, but thanks for the kind words.

Archived