npkelly

6gal NC

ajlaman

man yours looks good, i was hesitant to get one until I read your thread. anyways mine came in the mail yesterday and I have it all set up and running now with my coral in it. It won't cycle becasue its all of my old LR and I don't have any fish in it.

post-37296-1228679335_thumb.jpg

npkelly
Well thank you, I use a Canon Digital Rebel XT.

cool. i'll have to check it out. really love the way your pics turn out. o and with what macro lens too?

npkelly
man yours looks good, i was hesitant to get one until I read your thread. anyways mine came in the mail yesterday and I have it all set up and running now with my coral in it. It won't cycle becasue its all of my old LR and I don't have any fish in it.

thx ajlaman. it's been a long road it seems with this tank. definitely way more challenging then bigger tanks. but you're looking good so far. you didn't break down the 20 long did you? i miss my 30 sometimes, but the 6 is way economical right now. stoked to see how yours progresses.

Lalani
cool. i'll have to check it out. really love the way your pics turn out. o and with what macro lens too?

Canon 100mm f2.8 USM

npkelly
Canon 100mm f2.8 USM

thx. Lalani

npkelly

so i was wondering if there was anyone willing to part with a spare hanging kit, like if there's one lying around from a sunpod or something. also looking for a 70w 14k ushio. thx.

npkelly

bought a nuc frag a couple weeks ago and already has a new head. so stoked. i'll have to wait til it gets bigger to take pics. camera's wimpy.

npkelly

......................so i got an early christmas gift yesterday. a poci pack from fantastic frags. came a little bigger then i thought, but cool. more news. gonna also move the tank from the kitchen to the livingroom tomorrow. just got a hanging kit (sunpod) to hang the retro from the ceiling. thanks again Greatreef777. can't wait to install it. also gonna mod the stand a bit to give it a more cleaner look. so should have pics of my process, plus an FTS update tomorrow.

npkelly

so i've got the light installed. and the move went fine. and there're pics i'll post tonight. but the weirdest thing happened after filling the tank back up with water. i turned the pumps back on and got this huge brownish cloud that engulfed the tank. did my water change and cleaned everything in the back. don't really know what could've caused it. thought it might settle, but woke up to it again. just in case it could be toxic, i drained all the water i could, and put new water in. it was still cloudy. so i turned off all the pumps except for the return hoping that it'll settle by the time i get home from work tonight. man i hope this SH!T goes away and doesn't take everything with it. WILL BE SOOOOO F-ING P!SSED.

npkelly

well the tank came out fine. so happy. was crystal clear when i got home yesterday. also getting my ushio 14k swapped out for a 20k from marine depot. was told that the 14k was bluer then most, but was really yellow. anyways....should be able to post pics tonight.

ajlaman

heres the update for you on mine...

I really hope that what happenned to your tank with the cloud of brown crap doesnt happen to mine...

people have commented on you having two clowns in the small tank, I also have two fish in there. A sixline wrasse and a blenny. I hope the 6line doesnt get too depressed, he seems to be happy right now.

post-37296-1230061788_thumb.jpg

Edited by ajlaman

npkelly
heres the update for you on mine...

I really hope that what happenned to your tank with the cloud of brown crap doesnt happen to mine...

people have commented on you having two clowns in the small tank, I also have two fish in there. A sixline wrasse and a blenny. I hope the 6line doesnt get too depressed, he seems to be happy right now.

i think what happened was my chemipure. it'd been in there a while and just needed to be replaced. because as soon as i did that, it'd cleared right up. your's changed a lot since the last FTS. nice. wouldn't stress to much about the wrasse. i had one when i was in orlando and as long as he's got some rock to swim through and eats good, he'll be fine. mine was in there for about a month before i broke the tank down. and he seemed happy to me. a lot of these guys on here are nazi's about some of that stuff. and read into it a bit too much without actually experiencing it for themselves. not knocking them, just giving my "opinion". keep it up. and i'll have to get some pics up tonight once i get home from work.

npkelly

so here's some pics on the process of modding my light.

SDC11165.jpg

SDC11168.jpg

SDC11170.jpg

not the most professional looking. but for my first time, i'm pretty happy with the results. was such a pain in the a$$ though. tons of drilling. think the move overall was a great idea too. and the presentation is so much better. in the middle of moving some things around, but i'll throw an FTS up as soon as it's done. as well as some other pics.

Edited by npkelly

npkelly

also purchased a Aquatek cooling fan the other day off of ebay and got it yesterday. works great. between that and the heater, the tank stays at 78/79ish. would recommend it to anyone.

SDC11217.jpg

npkelly

well it's been a few weeks since my last update. much has changed since then. to start, i went biological minus the chemipure. the first two chambers were changed to a fuge, with macro in the first and LR in the second. the clowns are gone along with the frogspawn. bought a joker frag. the nucs are growin like crazy. grew like 5/6 heads in six weeks. and installed a frag rack. here're some picks.

SDC11306.jpg

SDC11305.jpg

SDC11303.jpg

SDC11302.jpg

SDC11297.jpg

SDC11294.jpg

SDC11293.jpg

SDC11289-1.jpg

SDC11283.jpg

Edited by npkelly

FavaBean

nice tank np.... hopefully mine will look as nice as yours

npkelly
nice tank np.... hopefully mine will look as nice as yours

thx. it's been through a lot.

ajlaman

havent visited this thread in a while, just want to tell you it looks great and keep it up!

npkelly
havent visited this thread in a while, just want to tell you it looks great and keep it up!

thanks man. tried to check your thread and the link was broken. hope all is well with yours. just got a clown shrimp and a few more zoa frags from fantastic frags today. got some bam bams, OPE, PD, and a GS. but paul there is awesome and usually hooks "you" up with a nice piece . i'll post pics tomorrow.

Edited by npkelly

npkelly

was wondering what the rule of thumb was for mixing different species of shrimp and crabs. there's a clown shrimp in there and was wondering if it would be safe to add a peppermint for aptasia control. there's also an emerald crab for GHA and BA control. would it conflict with a pam pam crab?

npkelly

feel like i'm talking to myself. anyways, here're some pics of some of new stuff as well as for fun. had a tough time getting snaps of the harlequin because he wouldn't come out. i'll try to do better next time.

SDC11324.jpg

SDC11326.jpg

SDC11332.jpg

SDC11336.jpg

SDC11337.jpg

SDC11339.jpg

SDC11343.jpg

SDC11344.jpg

SDC11348.jpg

SDC11365.jpg

SDC11369.jpg

SDC11375.jpg

SDC11381.jpg

SDC11390.jpg

SDC11394.jpg

npkelly

just added a sexy to the tank today. and plan on doing a little construction tomorrow to remove some of the weight on the frag rack. i'll post some pics probably tomorrow.

supraeli

cute little tank you have going on. i really love the DIY MH fixture you did.

didnt have time to read through the entire thread, but did you ever figure out why your zoas weren't doing well?

BTW, if you hadn't figured it out, the brown cloud that spewed out from your back chambers was probably built up detritus... stir your sand and you'll find a bunch of the same stuff... its these pockets of waste that get trapped in our little tanks that can cause crashes, and its also the same reason why most people advise to not stock more than 2 fish in the NC6...

also, both sexies and peps can cause soft coral damage, but it seems to be a really 50/50 chance, with alot of the risk coming from whether you feed them. just a heads up.

are you keeping starfish on the side to feed the harlequin with? or using frozen ones? i love those things, but they are just too high maintainence for me...

best of luck

npkelly
cute little tank you have going on. i really love the DIY MH fixture you did.

didnt have time to read through the entire thread, but did you ever figure out why your zoas weren't doing well?

BTW, if you hadn't figured it out, the brown cloud that spewed out from your back chambers was probably built up detritus... stir your sand and you'll find a bunch of the same stuff... its these pockets of waste that get trapped in our little tanks that can cause crashes, and its also the same reason why most people advise to not stock more than 2 fish in the NC6...

also, both sexies and peps can cause soft coral damage, but it seems to be a really 50/50 chance, with alot of the risk coming from whether you feed them. just a heads up.

are you keeping starfish on the side to feed the harlequin with? or using frozen ones? i love those things, but they are just too high maintainence for me...

best of luck

thx for the comments. the detritus makes since. the only reason i assumed it was the chemipure was because after removing and replacing, the brown cloud went away within a couple hours. i do siphon the sand every few water changes to sort of prevent that and to also keep nitrates down. and i did get rid of the clowns about a month ago. so no fish. just inverts. and there're two sexies in there now and a pom pom crab along with everything else. haven't noticed them picking at my coral yet. they're fed brine every couple days. and i think the harley's picked off all the starfish. so i'm gonna have to pick some frozen up. he was pickin at the brine the other day though. so maybe he'll eat that too. i'll have to do another post soon to update info and picks. just sort of slowed down do to the lack of attention.

MR.FEESH

Your avatar is boss.

Your tank is pretty solid too.

<3 NC6

Edited by MR.FEESH