SaltCritters.com

6gal NC

npkelly

AcroporaLokani
wow. thanks for the bundle of info Acro.L. the light issue makes a lot of since. i'm using a 70w 20k and i'm not sure what the LFS's using. probably a 10k because of the color it produces like you stated above. the wattage is beyond me. i think their tanks are 100g's, but could be wrong. and wouldn't know how many watts. maybe two 450's or even a 750......? my tort hasn't lost much color yet, but i haven't seen it's blue tipped polyps yet either. maybe in time. how long does the transformation usually take? but thanks again. i'll have to make sure to check those things out next time.

Sure no problem, Your LFS probably has 150 watt (its the most common so it probably is 150 watt). I don't think I have ever heard of 750 watt halides, the most I have ever heard of are 1,000 watt halides in professional frag/coral facilities but who knows they may have come out with 750 watt. As for the color change rate it depends on the coral, acropora (In my experience) loses it color rather quickly so if your coral still has most of its original color then it may stay close to what it looks like today. Even if the coral does not keep the blue color you will still have a nice green tort. But since you have 20K it will sure help your acropora keep most of its color.

it must've been looked over, but i have a fireworm problem and was wandering if anyone knew a way to trap em? i've had chances, but this sob's smart and only peeks out halfway. i wanna get em out asap. thx.

Yup didn't even see your question. In a tank as small as yours and with the two small fish I would not suggest arrow crabs or boxer shrimp to remove the fireworm (Both are notorious for eating small fish and growing very large) so I would say try one of these....

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...amp;pcatid=3960

I have never used this method or the product in the link above but one or the other may work for you, If you don't want to buy the little worm trapper then you could put a small bowl with a raw wild shrimp (the ones they sell in supermarkets for people to eat) and put it in the tank one hour after lights out (make sure to dig the bowl in to the sand so the worms can get in) and leave it in the tank for one or two hours and there should be some worms that were collected in the bowl. Make sure to get wild shrimp not farm raised (Farm raised shrimp have antibiotics/preservatives in them that could harm a tank).

-Acro.L

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks Acro. i'll give the wild shrimp bate a try. i just hope the fireworm gets to it before everything else does. i did notice the worm the other day when i through brine shrimp into the tank. dude was going crazy. the wild shrimp shouldn't mess with my levels right? i'll probably do it the night before my water change, just in case. i also think i've solved my zoa issue. last night i saw something picking at my tort and have seen them on my zoas. they've been in my tank a while and never thought they'd really harm anything. but they kind of look like shrimp with a clear to opaque exo. i don't think they're mantis because they really haven't gotten that big. and i wish i had a photo of one. but would you or anyone know what they are and if they're a hazard to my tank. and if so, how do i get rid of them.

so i figured out that i have an amphipod problem and they seem to be feeding on my coral, mainly the zoos and my tort. is there something that keeps em in check?

AcroporaLokani
thanks Acro. i'll give the wild shrimp bate a try. i just hope the fireworm gets to it before everything else does. i did notice the worm the other day when i through brine shrimp into the tank. dude was going crazy. the wild shrimp shouldn't mess with my levels right? i'll probably do it the night before my water change, just in case. i also think i've solved my zoa issue. last night i saw something picking at my tort and have seen them on my zoas. they've been in my tank a while and never thought they'd really harm anything. but they kind of look like shrimp with a clear to opaque exo. i don't think they're mantis because they really haven't gotten that big. and i wish i had a photo of one. but would you or anyone know what they are and if they're a hazard to my tank. and if so, how do i get rid of them.

Hmm... Could they possibly be nudibranch? I'm not sure I have heard of a pets shrimp that eats zoa/acropora.

The wild shrimp should not be a problem as long as you take it out of the tank.

so i figured out that i have an amphipod problem and they seem to be feeding on my coral, mainly the zoos and my tort. is there something that keeps em in check?

You can use a pipette (link below) to suck the pods out (or see if a fish store will let you borrow or rent a mandarin and take it back when you see the pods have left).

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...amp;pcatid=8940

that would be so rad to have a mandarin in there. i love those fish. was the whole "renting" thing sarcasm, or do some LFS really do that. that's probably a real stupid question...lol. i have some pipettes and could give that a shot, but those amphipods are super fast. we'll see. thanks again man for all the info.

AcroporaLokani
that would be so rad to have a mandarin in there. i love those fish. was the whole "renting" thing sarcasm, or do some LFS really do that. that's probably a real stupid question...lol. i have some pipettes and could give that a shot, but those amphipods are super fast. we'll see. thanks again man for all the info.

No it was not sarcasm, Your tank can't support a mandarin for more than a week or so (Unless you can find one eating frozen food). Some fish stores do "rent" fish if you pay for the fish upfront and bring the fish back and pay maybe $5 or so (Just explain that you only need the fish for a week or so to get rid of your pods). Some fish stores will do that some won't, Just talk to the owner of your LFS and see.

And no problem with the info.

Any new FTS?

cool. i'm in pretty good with my LFS. who knows, maybe they will. and i can post a FTS tomorrow. the lights are off now. and don't be disapointed, not much has changed since the last one i posted....lol.

AcroporaLokani
cool. i'm in pretty good with my LFS. who knows, maybe they will. and i can post a FTS tomorrow. the lights are off now. and don't be disapointed, not much has changed since the last one i posted....lol.

Sounds good, where did you get your metal halide retro online?

here's a new FTS. as you can see, there's not much. but will have a couple frags coming in a few days. i already mentioned the favia and will have a frag of nucs soon. still crossing my fingers with the sunset monti.

SDC10971.jpg

i got my first of the three frags today from a dude named jason a.k.a. Dooly. the nucs are amazing and will be sure to post a pic tomorrow. in the meantime, i took some more pics just cause.

SDC10976.jpg

SDC10977.jpg

SDC10983.jpg

SDC10984.jpg

Nice tank Nick, can't wait to see an update with your new tri color

thanks jose (djorijun). just did a water change and decided to install the koralia nano i bought a few weeks ago. i'll post some pics probably tomorrow so things can settle a bit.

so here's a pic of my newest additions: nucs and tri color.

SDC10998.jpg

i have some more coming and will update my FTS once everything has arrived and is installed.

so my tort's about gone. f-ing pods keep munching on it. about to take Acro's advice and throw a mandarin in there temporarily until those b's are in check. are there any other fish out there that feed on pods? i'm a little afraid to get the mandarin. either i won't be able to get em out, or like em too much and wanna keep em in there....lol.

AcroporaLokani
so my tort's about gone. f-ing pods keep munching on it. about to take Acro's advice and throw a mandarin in there temporarily until those b's are in check. are there any other fish out there that feed on pods? i'm a little afraid to get the mandarin. either i won't be able to get em out, or like em too much and wanna keep em in there....lol.

When/if you get the mandarin just make sure to get all the stuff out of the back filter compartment (carbon/sponges whatever is in there) so the pods are not still safely hiding away from the mandarin.

And if you want to keep the mandarin take the week or two it take to sweep your tank clean of pods to see if the fish will eat frozen, flake or pellet. If not then you would have to take it back (just won't be enough pods for the fishy in the long run).

Very nice updated tank shots as well (you're making me want a NC6).

When/if you get the mandarin just make sure to get all the stuff out of the back filter compartment (carbon/sponges whatever is in there) so the pods are not still safely hiding away from the mandarin.

And if you want to keep the mandarin take the week or two it take to sweep your tank clean of pods to see if the fish will eat frozen, flake or pellet. If not then you would have to take it back (just won't be enough pods for the fishy in the long run).

Very nice updated tank shots as well (you're making me want a NC6).

thanks Acro. i'm gonna be in sacramento for the weekend. but when i get back, i'll go hunt down the smallest one i can find. i talked to danny (fish_chips) a while and said he had a couple buddies who kept em and fed em cyclopeeze and some other frozen foods. maybe i'll get lucky.

so i don't have a pic right now, but danny hooked me up with:

• cloverfield monti
  • RPE
  • blue zoas
  • dendro head
  • idaho grape monti

and probably forgetting something, but i'll post pics asap.

Archived