inTank Media Baskets

Acro's 29 Gallon [Bio-Cube]

AcroporaLokani

AcroporaLokani

Here is my brand new BC 29, I decided to upgrade since my 12 gallon aquapod was just to small for what I wanted it for (A nice grow out tank for my coral frags, courtesy of my frag tanks) so I switched everything over a few days ago.

When I was looking at this tank I just kept thinking about all the "extra" equipment I wanted and then just snapped out of it and figured I would try stock everything (even the bio-balls) since the tank was $280.

I figured if I clean the bio-balls by floating them in water change water (the stuff I just dump down the drain) then they will surely stay clean of fish/coral waist and act exactly like live rock rubble. I also didn't have nearly enough live rock rubble and I didn't feel like dishing out $50 (and about the same in gas) for aptasia infested rubble from the LFS.

Tank specs.

one 10K 36 watt PC bulb

one actinic 36 watt PC bulb

three .75 watt moon lights

243 gallon per hour circulation pump

100 watt heater

My coral list as of now.

4 orange montipora cap

13 peach pocillopora frags

1 colony of Yellow polyps

5 colonies of button polyps

many many clove polyps (tan and a purple/green variety)

2 favia brain corals

3 red favia brain coral frags

10 candy cane frags (blue and green)

6 galaxea corals

1 green pagoda coral

5 yellow scroll corals

many pink lemonade zoas (not sure if that's what they are some one just told me that's what they where)

green zoas

three frags of whamming watermelon zoas

8 polyps of fire and ice zoas

3 polyps of joker zoas (not sure if that's what they are some one just told me that's what they where)

10 frags of cabbage leather coral

10 frags of finger leather coral (tan/green varieties)

1 green slipper coral

(not a coral) 3 bubble tip anemones

a few random mushroom corals

Corals I hope to add to this tank in the next few weeks/months

Xenia

Toadstool leather

Kenya tree coral.

I think for fish I want to get a small school of blue/green chromis (Chromis viridis), Maybe a school of four or six not sure yet.

And I may break my stock bio-cube mind set and DIY a protein skimmer when I get the school of fish.

And on to the pictures. The tank has only had water in it for about five days.

fts111208pc2.jpg

slippercoral111208rs1.jpg

scrollcoral111208ke1.jpg

braincoral111208it0.jpg

bordermontipora111208ny5.jpg

fireicew111208qx0.jpg

greenbrain111208vr3.jpg

closingpic111208tl0.jpg

Very nice. I really like your idea of getting a school of fish instead of a few different kind. I have a chromie, hes with a sixline and a purple firefish. All great fish, but the school of chromies is definitely a neat choice.

AcroporaLokani
excellent rock work -even if a little phallic

Phallic? Who's is that misshapen? :huh: Maybe you should see a doctor about that :P

Very nice. I really like your idea of getting a school of fish instead of a few different kind. I have a chromie, hes with a sixline and a purple firefish. All great fish, but the school of chromies is definitely a neat choice.

Thanks, I have always wanted a nice little school of chromis. I think tanks with schools of chromis are so nice so I wanted to try it out for this tank since its big enough for more than one fish.

Nice start Tim. I hope I helped contribute. :P I love yellow scroll corals they are so Bright ! B)

Look at mine under my old actinic lighting.

104_1091.jpg

Under my new sunpod 70 Courtesey of you Sir. :D

104_1134.jpg

AcroporaLokani
Nice start Tim. I hope I helped contribute. :P I love yellow scroll corals they are so Bright ! B)

Look at mine under my old actinic lighting.

104_1091.jpg

Under my new sunpod 70 Courtesey of you Sir. :D

104_1134.jpg

Hey Matt, Glad to see you like the 70 watt sunpod, And sorry to say but I had a $300 giftcard to petsmart. The money order you sent me will go to an acrylic order so I can make a DIY protein skimmer. Did you replace the bulb? Post a FTS of your tank for me to see please.

And that scroll looks like its happy with the new MH, It looks like it became more of a yellow color.

AcroporaLokani

Well the lights aren't working properly, the day light 10K bulb keeps shorting out so I have to go exchange it for a new hood at petsmart. Luckily I don't have to take the whole tank down they said they would just switch out the lid with another one at the store.

gulfsurfer101

That looks sweet with the stacked rock work. Do you still have that other sunpod from your other tank. I just posted a classified looking for a small MH fixture for some prime SPS trade. Your tank looks super sick already. This should be a good one to watch.

AcroporaLokani
That looks sweet with the stacked rock work. Do you still have that other sunpod from your other tank. I just posted a classified looking for a small MH fixture for some prime SPS trade. Your tank looks super sick already. This should be a good one to watch.

Thanks, I wanted the rock work to allow the fish to go completely around it.

I actually sold both the MH fixtures about a month ago (for $100 each plus $20 shipping/box).

I can PM you a link to a small 250watt MH fixture that is about $250 with free shipping (Its an actual website). I think the light itself is discontinued and this is the only site that still sells it.

AcroporaLokani

Ok I got the hood replaced today (Petsmart rocks!). Heres a pic of a refugium/frag tank that is in the second chamber. The light that spills over from the main display is more than enough for polyps and any form of kalerpa/cheato to grow. Just make sure to fill your tank enough so it stays fully submerged. I just used the included drip tray that holds the bioballs in place for the platform for both the polyp frags and cheato.

My still un-modded BC29.

refugium111208ih3.jpg

AcroporaLokani

One Week Update

The tanks going fine now that I got the lights replaced and not much has changed.

Updated Pictures

oneweekupdate111308tt6.jpg

ftscorneruo8.jpg

ftsrcornerax8.jpg

bluecandycane111208dz4.jpg

coralpic111208qv2.jpg

groupcoralpicturegb2.jpg

I'll be getting a few chromis in the next week or two, Hopefully my LFS will have them.

AcroporaLokani
everything looks sweet! good job cant wait to see it grown out.

Thanks, I'm exited to see everything grow out as well.

i didn't wanna move the conversation over here..lol, but your tank is gonna be so rad once everything's all grown out.

Thanks, I hope the zoas will cover all the rocks one day.

when you're ready..;)...i want a frag of that pocillopora (with reddish polyps). that piece is so rad. and i'm sure there will be others...lol.

Sure, They are my favorite. I have I think thirteen in the tank but I want to wait for them to recover from the move before I frag (some lost some tissue when I moved them and they should be better in a month or two).

One more picture.

brainpolyp111208vq1.jpg

AcroporaLokani

Well now the stock water pump broke :rant: And the hood is leaking condensation water out. I think I'm going to have to return this tank and get another one from my local petsmart. For $300 I expect this thing to crap diamonds.

A good thing is my new fish is eating like a pig and seems to be happy with the rock work.

Well here is my coral pic for today.

pinkzoaandbluecandycanese1.jpg

No replies about my new fish, I think I could add a tang and no one would notice. :ninja:

No replies about my new fish, I think I could add a tang and no one would notice. :ninja:

I lol'd at that.

Nice tank, sorry to hear about the problems with the lid and water pump. How many chromis fish did you get just one?

AcroporaLokani

Yea just one, My LFS owner was mad that I wanted to use some store credit I had from trading in two hundred pounds of live sand and ten fish from my old eighty gallon tank that I had to take down since I moved.

I hope he isn't to mad since he is fish sitting my beloved vlamingii tang till I can get my bigger tank setup (Maybe a few months till then). The owner has my tang in a 400 gallon tank.

After I got my $3.99 fish for all I traded in my LFS owner remarked on how he saw the same species/size of my tang on liveaquaria.com's diver's den for $530 and then remarked on how maybe my fish will just "vanish". :scarry:

Pics of my beloved vlamingii tang when I took it out of my eighty gallon to take to the pet store for fish sitting.

tangdripmethodwf2.jpg

belovedvlamingii111308vh9.jpg

That is spooky, Why trust a LFS owner with a $530 fish?

That would make me mad if I traded in so much and the fish store was mad that I wanted a fish that was 4 bucks.

Any new tank shots?

AcroporaLokani
That is spooky, Why trust a LFS owner with a $530 fish?

That would make me mad if I traded in so much and the fish store was mad that I wanted a fish that was 4 bucks.

Any new tank shots?

I didn't pay $530 for my tang, That's just what liveaquaria was selling it for (He had to show me it the day I got my little chromis and sure enough there was one for $530, I there where three going for $480 to $530 in price the most expensive being a male and my tang is a male.....)

Yea I was more worried he would sell my fish than mad that I got ripped off.

My 29 gallon has had an algae growth since I did a water change with water that was not RO, But luckily I took these pics a few days ago before the algae growth. Red slime algae is not my favorite by the way :mellow:

New pics of my tank just for you Sushi! Quick question for you, Why did you call your self The Sushi?

bfts111308rm9.jpg

actinicfts111308ln6.jpg

abovedown111208um9.jpg

cornerftsr111308ne3.jpg

cornerftsmidweekupdateri2.jpg

Did the tangs on the website sell for that amount of cash?

Nice tank pics to. I like that brain coral in the above pic.

People always call me The Sushi because I got kicked out of a sushi restaurant and got banned from the premises, And all my friends started calling me "The Sushi" so I figured it was good for my nano-reef name. Don't want to get in to it but the waiter was full of sass and I tossed my sushi at him when he put a half eaten tuna roll in front of me. And no I am not saying to assault your waiter in any way.

AcroporaLokani
Did the tangs on the website sell for that amount of cash?

Yes, They were gone over night. Apparently the vlamingii tang is a rare fish in the naso family and some times classified in the unicorn tang family since when they get bigger they get a bump on there heads. But the small ones go for $80-$150 from what I've seen online.

Nice tank pics to. I like that brain coral in the above pic.

Thanks, I grew that one from a small frag.

People always call me The Sushi because I got kicked out of a sushi restaurant and got banned from the premises, And all my friends started calling me "The Sushi" so I figured it was good for my nano-reef name. Don't want to get in to it but the waiter was full of sass and I tossed my sushi at him when he put a half eaten tuna roll in front of me.

:haha: Wow and I figured I was getting back at the "sass filled waiter" by not tipping! I was just wondering why the name now I have my answer.

Things are still looking fantastic! I hate red slime too, it grows on my calupra somehow. How have you fixed the pump and hood? Sticking with the stock components still?

AcroporaLokani
Things are still looking fantastic! I hate red slime too, it grows on my calupra somehow. How have you fixed the pump and hood? Sticking with the stock components still?

Thanks Kyle.B. Yea the red slime is growing on the top rock and taking up about a quarter of it. The stock pump broke so I had to switch it out with a maxijet 1200, I may have to soak the stock pump in distilled white vinegar and see if that helps. The lid is still leaking out condensation like crazy. I think I'm going to take the whole tank back and get another BC29 maybe tomorrow or on Monday. The lid seems to be bent where it sits on the tank so it does not fit on perfectly and then it allows water to gather in the grooves that hold the lid on and then leaks out.

Archived