inTank Media Baskets

Flatworm? Eel? Fish?

MarLooney

Sorry no picture, but please bare with me. I shall do my best to describe. I was up late tonight and decided to peep out my nano with a flashlight after the lights have all been off for a while. I do this often to see all the nocturnal creatures going to work. To my surprise I saw the strangest hitchhiker I've ever seen! :o It was small, about an inch long I'd estimate. It's body shape was similar to that of an eel, very skinny. It swam like one too, only it seemed to move it's "fins" a lot faster, maybe it was in strong current. It also swam right out in the open away from all rockwork. The color was dark green with white or light grey on it's head and tail portions, both of which came to a point. There were no noticable head organs. Then again, it was small and maybe it did have eyes, a mouth, and so forth and I just couldn't see it. I turned on the lights to get a better look and to my amazement it didn't dart off into the LR. It continued to swim around until it got too close to my filter. Got sucked up and even though I promptly turned the filter off and took it a part I couldn't find it. That was its first and possibly last showing and it was only about a minute so I couldn't get a picture. Anyone have any clue what this might have been? Feel free to ask any questions.

Actually my first thought was a pipefish because I'd seen a banded pipefish at the LFS and it was rather small. I didn't include that in my post because I forgot what it was called. LOL. I was thinking filefish for some reason but I knew for a fact that was wrong... so I just put "fish" =D After researching pipefish a little on the internet I know it couldn't have been one. I was looking for one with the same color pattern to no avail but I did notice some other differences. It's shape was a match but this thing I witnessed had finlike structures along it's entire top and bottom which it seemed to be using to swim. Pipefish have a skin made up of hard rings with small fins... kinda like how cowfish have skin made up of interlocking plates. The thing in my tank looked soft. Almost all the pipefish also had a rouned tail whereas the "thing" in my tank's tail came to a point. Anyway, I'll keep looking... maybe I'll pick up a pipefish at the LFS... just for the hell of it. =D

I've had a lot of view... please more replies.

Archived