Cultivated Reef

painting an internal overflow box? aquarium safe paint?

jdi1982

In brief, I am trying to put up to acrylic (overflow like boxes) for my heaters, powerheads (will have an opening for this obviously and slits for the water), etc. And i am having trouble finding acrylic that is colored or even one that I can match to my background. So, is there an aquarium safe paint that I can use to paint the acrylic that's inside the tank?

gulfsurfer101

Hi and welcome but this question has been asked and answered here about 50 times.

KRYLON FUSION

KRYLON FUSION

KRYLON FUSION

KRYLON FUSION

KRYLON FUSION

KRYLON FUSION

KRYLON FUSION

KRYLON FUSION

Hi and welcome but this question has been asked and answered here about 50 times.

KRYLON FUSION

KRYLON FUSION

KRYLON FUSION

KRYLON FUSION

KRYLON FUSION

KRYLON FUSION

KRYLON FUSION

KRYLON FUSION

+1 I used it to paint an acrylic overflow I made for my 50 gallon that is going up soon

• 10 years later...

Curious if you painted the overflow on the inside of the overflow or on the outside?

I was assuming you'd want to paint the inside of the overflow so you can still scrape the overflow clean on the outside?

Can you keep the overflow clean if you paint the outside of the overflow?  How do you do this?

On 11/23/2018 at 6:28 PM, HookedOnAquariums said:

If you don’t have the acrylic yet I would just buy black acrylic 

I'm actually thinking of painting it gray which is the color of wall behind the tank

Christopher Marks
On 11/23/2018 at 4:51 PM, duganderson said:

Curious if you painted the overflow on the inside of the overflow or on the outside?

I was assuming you'd want to paint the inside of the overflow so you can still scrape the overflow clean on the outside?

Can you keep the overflow clean if you paint the outside of the overflow?  How do you do this?

Painting the inside is best, and creates a nice clean look. Just be sure you get enough thin layers to make it opaque, take your time.

It is possible to find gray acrylic and other colors at plastic suppliers, but it will probably be more expensive than painting clear.

2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Painting the inside is best, and creates a nice clean look. Just be sure you get enough thin layers to make it opaque, take your time.

It is possible to find gray acrylic and other colors at plastic suppliers, but it will probably be more expensive than painting clear.

Thank you for your response.

Thank you also for great work on this site.  Nano-Reef Rocks!!!