inTank Media Baskets

Ando's 29g. Since October 08'

Ando

I used a halogen under the counter light I found at homedepot for my tank it has worked well as far as I can tell. The one reason I can think of for putting LR in your fuge would be to keep hte chaeto from making it's way into the 3rd chamber and clogging your return. I really don't think it would become a detrius trap as long as you have critters in there eating the detrius.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ando,

did you swap the bulbs in the hood? put your attinc bulb on the switch that kicks the fans on...so that way it will help with the temp before the brighter bulb kicks on...(as long as you run two timers)

no I didn't do any mods to the light right now. I dont have the actinics on very long for it to get to hot.. It's on for 1 hour.

I used a halogen under the counter light I found at homedepot for my tank it has worked well as far as I can tell. The one reason I can think of for putting LR in your fuge would be to keep hte chaeto from making it's way into the 3rd chamber and clogging your return. I really don't think it would become a detrius trap as long as you have critters in there eating the detrius.

ya i was thinking the same thing. should i get some snails and put them in the 2nd chamber?

If you still have that chunk of LR in your fuge, then maybe place it in front of the hole to your 3rd chamber were your chaeto is in the pic, It should do the trick. If you don't have it anymore, you can maybe try a media bag of phose gard or something. In my 3rd chamber where the spung used to be, I placed a media bag there, and haven't had any problems yet.

I'm taking back the Hydor light.. i dont think it will work. So I'm going to try to find something else.

Look in the DIY threads for an fuge light project to go on the back of the tank. No one sees the back anyway. I think that is your best bet for proper K rating and it'll be easy on your wallet too. I made my fuge light set-up for under $20 and my chaeto is growing like wildfire. Just my $.02.

Do you guy think i should have the algae somewhere else in the fuge... It looks like it's trying to get sucked threw to the 3rd chamber?

pic1.jpg

In my BC29 I only have chaeto (no rock rubble) in the 2nd chamber, so I kept the false floor and just angled it so one side touches the bottom (next to the 1st chamber wall) and the other rests on the notch it was originally on (next to the 3rd chamber wall) and attached it with some aquarium safe adhesive. So if you are looking at it from the back of the tank it looks like this: /

That way the chaeto won't get into the 3rd chamber and the fuge has enough room to house the chaeto growth.

no I didn't do any mods to the light right now. I dont have the actinics on very long for it to get to hot.. It's on for 1 hour.

Does that mean your actinics are on only for an hour? or that you have them on for an hour before the other lamp and the fan turn on?

ya i was thinking the same thing. should i get some snails and put them in the 2nd chamber?

The pods that inhabit the chaeto should be good enough to keep it clean of detrius.

Does that mean your actinics are on only for an hour? or that you have them on for an hour before the other lamp and the fan turn on?

The pods that inhabit the chaeto should be good enough to keep it clean of detrius.

I have the actinics on for hour until the daylight kick on.. but they both stay on.

alright Question?

I made a media rack for my 2nd chamber where my fuge is... Do you think it would be find to put in the tank now. I made this last night.. about 15 hours ago.. I used acetone and silicone to seal it. should i just wash it with some water and dry it off so it's safe to put in my tank. I dont want any chemicals getting into my fish tank lol

here's a pic

DSC_1709.jpg

Looks like you are off to a good start. I cant wait to see what it becomes. What are you hoping to add?

I think... The top ill use floss, middle one i will put some carbon, then the bottom one i was thinking stick some algae in it? or small piece of Live rock?

well i have had my tank alomst 2 weeks now and it's looking very furry full of green and brown algae!lol

I need to add some water to it.. The water is getting low in the middle chamber and is very loud.

here some pictures

DSC_1744.jpg

DSC_1745.jpg

DSC_1746.jpg

DSC_1747.jpg

DSC_1748.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to get a CUC.. What would you recommend?

As for the media rack... haa.. I had my measurements wrong. It was a hair to big.. so possibly tomorrow or Wednesday I will make a new one.. And a better one. I was bummed because it took a while to make.

oo well.. This next one will look better.

i think i got 10 snails, 10 blue leg hermits, 3 scarlet hermits, and 3 emerald crabs...though one of them isn't green...and he nipped at some zoas that are very healthy...i wanted all scarlet hermits cause they look really nice...but they had cuc pre-bagged that day...so i just went with it...

i cut the pcs for my media rack...but loaned out my acrylic glues...so sometime this week i will try mine out...

Archived