Coral Vue Hydros

just got a 2g for 3 buxx!... its a sad day today...

pismo_reefer

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think im gonna do a water change on my main tanks tomoro....so ill start the cycling of this tank with that water.

FYI: the rocks that im using are "dead" live rock. so it will need to cycle, hopefully not for too long though.(i already have about a bunch of frags just waitin to go in...)

omg...i built the ghetto-est canopy i have ever seen...i dont even know if i want to show this thing on nano-reef...its all scrap wood and blue tack-nails everywhere..... :unsure:

i may put pics up in the mornin...if i dont just scrap it.

pics or ban...

btw i think this 1.8g tank will be super cool. My hats off to you

oh.. the pics are comin.

what was your decision on the LEDs?

no LED's for right now...cant afford 'em.

I like what you are doing! I would be selective of the zoas you put in there if you are going to load it up. Some go south easier than others & take others with them.

I like what you are doing! I would be selective of the zoas you put in there if you are going to load it up. Some go south easier than others & take others with them.

thank you sue. im happy other people like it.

i have oranges, eagleyes, green-dragoneyes, and some peach paly's that i will be puttin in here.

are those guys okay? i figured that they were, but youre a pro....what cant i put in there? any big no-no's?

oh really? i havent had that experience yet....

i have oranges, eagleyes, green-dragoneyes, and some peach paly's that i will be puttin in here.

are those guys okay? i figured that they were, but youre a pro....what cant i put in there? any big no-no's?

Those are pretty hardy in my exerience. I have not had problems with palys. Nukes & Purple Death, Evil Mel's Green Skirts are others that have resisted any pox of fungus I have had to deal with.

Those are pretty hardy in my exerience. I have not had problems with palys. Nukes & Purple Death, Evil Mel's Green Skirts are others that have resisted any pox of fungus I have had to deal with.

OMG i just had to toss a pox-ridden frag in the garbage. it was free from my LFS...*you get what you pay for*

it had a mint green paly, and some GDE's. i really only wanted the paly...but the damn pox wanted it more! :angry:

IMG_6239.jpg

this is the frag on the way to pox-ville....

Do you have a QT tank? I haven't lost many zoas once I learned how to treat them.

ya, but it wasnt up at the time...got the frag free, so iwasnt expecting any new arrivals. thats what happens when i break the reefin' rules.lol.

im switchin my two 10g's into a 20g in 2 or 3 days, so ill have the space to re-setup my QT and leave it running.

i built this canopy out of plywood, trim, and tack nails...no glue, lol. i have yet to fill, prime, and paint it....i also have to add the hinges for the top....(it may hit the trash before that though.)

so, as promised, the godawful canopy.....(keep in mind i said awful!)

it leans like a cholo!

IMG_6799.jpg

i still have to add the hinges.

IMG_6795.jpg

open back for a fan/ less heat build up.

IMG_6805.jpg

i dont know if this is really gonaa be around for too long...lol.

Paint it black before you decide.

im gone use wood filler, then prime it, then paint it black...it should look alright by then....

so i decided to wire up the 2x20watters (screw-ins)....

i dont have the 13w pc bulb yet, so i didnt wire that kit up....

but basically, i stripped 2 lamps for their power cords and ceramic sockets and screwed em into the canopy....its crude. i know.

i started with this mess....

IMG_6824.jpg

then drilled some "holes"...

IMG_6825.jpg

drilled a peice of plexi for "emergency support"...(lets face it. this thing is shaky.lol)

IMG_6832.jpg

here is the finished product.( recycled reflectors from an old hood)

IMG_6835.jpg

leftovers,lol. this is the 13 watt pc wiring that will also go into the canopy.(on the lid, between the 2x20watt's)

IMG_6837.jpg

let there be light!!

IMG_6849.jpg

.....and cycle!

IMG_6859.jpg

finally have time to post the pics of the cycle...not much but at least its an update, right?

these are the new petrocks:

IMG_6839.jpg

fts

IMG_6857.jpg

IMG_6842.jpg

left side w/overflow

IMG_6845.jpg

overflow close up

IMG_6860.jpg

FTS w/ flash on (i will be painting the canopy black,as well as the BG)

IMG_6851.jpg

edit: the heater wont be in the tank much longer, so dont fret...its just a temporary eyesore.

thanks for looking, and feel free to comment! :D

it isnt the best looking hood honestly but then again look at what we've spent so far? $3 right?

and once its black it should look fine

it isnt the best looking hood honestly but then again look at what we've spent so far? $3 right?

and once its black it should look fine

exactamundo mi amigo!

$3 so far... it feels good to say that. :D

Archived