Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

clown not eating

MidiMouse

I got a percula clown for my tank about 3 days ago, but he has not been eating. Initially I tried to feed him Formula 1 flake food, but he would just turn away when the food got close. I also tried live brine shrimp. I think he ate one or two, but the rest just floated around in the current. My pod population has definately dwindled though since I added the clown and a cleaner shrimp. Do you guys think he's been eating those? I just don't want the poor guy to starve...:*(

Thanks alot,

Lam

Fish have what is called a "prey image". What they see as food. Call the LFS where you bought it and see what they were feeding it. My female would not eat Mysisd for a while, but would eat brinr. (Don't look very different to me, but do to a fish) See if feeding it what lfs was helps.

My clown doesn't seem to dig mysid too much... I've been feeding fortified brine, formula one flakes and pellets along with the brine flakes from the same company that makes formula one...

I had my one clown that eats like a pig and had one that wouldn't... came down with brook and lasted about three weeks before finally dying, the other one is doing fantastic. Keep a CLOSE eye on your clown, he may have trouble brewing.

Seeing what your LFS fed is good advice as well... he may just be getting over the move stress, not terribly uncommon for a fish not to eat for a few days.

I called the lfs and asked what they feed him and found out he eats formula 1 also, but the pellet ones. Before I left to go get some I tried the brine shrimp again. He ate some of that so I'm happy he's eating now. Hopefully i can wean him on the formula 1 flake. Thanks

Mine didn't eat for 3-4 days when I added him. I think he was just ####ed off because he was living at Petco. Now he eats anything I put in the tank, even nips and my fingers for a sec until he realizes I taste like crap. I'm glad yours is eating though, sometimes they just need to settle in.

My clown stays by my frogspawn because he's hosting it. If a clown is hosting something they usually hang in that general area. They host a variety of things from rocks and coral to powerheads and heaters.

Archived