Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jav's 20L: SPS, LED, Overstocked

javisaman

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love your fish(es', es, 's????) names. I have a B&W and regular ocellaris also. Mine were named Nemo and Harriet by my 2-year-old. I think that makes the first name OK.

Your tank overall is super beautiful. Tons of corals I'd hope to have... but, I have to know, does the mandarin have a name?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
is that a rainbow in the last pic?

Nah, Tyree pink lemonade.

I bet u upgrade ur camera and a macro lens? What model?

Same macro lens (Sigma 150mm) with Canon 5D Classic.

I love your fish(es', es, 's????) names. I have a B&W and regular ocellaris also. Mine were named Nemo and Harriet by my 2-year-old. I think that makes the first name OK.

Your tank overall is super beautiful. Tons of corals I'd hope to have... but, I have to know, does the mandarin have a name?

Cool names! Yea The mandarin is named Mushu (it's been with me for 1.5 years now).

When are we gonna see some updates?

I have some sad news. The tank is basically crashing. I've lost over half of my corals. Until I get things back to shape I won't be posting pictures anytime soon. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Lack of maintenance. I use to do waterchanges every week. But when I got caught up with studying/research i developed a bad habit of not looking after my tank. I did have red bugs, which I treated. The treatment, however, killed a lot of my inverts (snails were suppose to be safe, but dozens of my dwarf ceriths died). I also didn't dose as frequently as I should have, causing some Alk swings.

Now I've gotten back into gear and the tank is making a decent recovery. Only time will tell though if it's ever gonna go back to it's old form.

035mazdaspeed

I just set up a 20L with a 10 gallon sump. I have a 740 gph pump but it just doesnt seem like its enough flow..Just wondering what you think of the before and after results of adding the flow accelerators. I reallt dont want to put extra powerheads in my tank if i can avoid it so i wanted to see if it was worth it to add the flow accelerators??? Thanks....

Dont mean to thread jack but your inbox is full..

I just set up a 20L with a 10 gallon sump. I have a 740 gph pump but it just doesnt seem like its enough flow..Just wondering what you think of the before and after results of adding the flow accelerators. I reallt dont want to put extra powerheads in my tank if i can avoid it so i wanted to see if it was worth it to add the flow accelerators??? Thanks....

Dont mean to thread jack but your inbox is full..

Oh no problem. Glad to help. To be honest the flow accelerators do not help that much. The flow is fast but only in a certain direction (kinda like a laser beam). I think a powerhead with broader flow is more effective.

• 8 months later...

Long time since I last updated. I spent the last few months getting my tank back up to speed. It's been a long process and I still have a lot of algae to battle but I hope it'll be up to spec soon. Pics in the near future!

• 2 weeks later...

Updated pictures:

(FTS)

5510989748_e0a2c983b7_o.jpg

frogspawn

5510501665_27c9ff2cdb_b.jpg

blue mushrooms

5511096282_613edb3017_b.jpg

hermit crab

5511088464_96b0861d43_b.jpg

bluespot (bahamut zero) and hermit

5511079676_cf1ecfb5de_b.jpg

rainbow acan

5510468979_24d0195257_b.jpg

Mohawk palys

5510455389_61788f5cca_b.jpg

Mandarin (Mushu)

5510384673_fc0161163e_b.jpg

I'm struggling with cyano, hair algae, bryopsis, and dinoflagellets...ugh.

The tank crash was major. Carbon, skimmer, and cheato don't seem like enough.

livestock/equipment list

Get a large turbo snail or two. Mine decimated the hair algae in the back of my tank and even ate some overgrowing macro algae I needed to remove.

glad to hear its on its way back!

never saw this tank before....it reminds me alot of mine....stocking wise and experiences(Tank crash)... :huh:

Get a large turbo snail or two. Mine decimated the hair algae in the back of my tank and even ate some overgrowing macro algae I needed to remove.

I already have two turbos. They don't seem to do much other than eat the smaller algae. I maybe confusing bryposis with hair algae

glad to hear its on its way back!

never saw this tank before....it reminds me alot of mine....stocking wise and experiences(Tank crash)... :huh:

Thanks. Your tank is amazing! 20L unite!

Thanks for checking out my build, I haven't ever seen yours so I jumped over here to check it out. Sorry to hear about the crash. I have been in this hobby for a very long time and have been through what you are going through more then once. Perseverance and the love for the hobby have always pulled me through. Doesn't hurt I can't afford to get out now. Got way to much money invested.

Just a few things and I am sure you know all this but it is owrth repeating it anyway.

1: A complete cleaning of the system including the sump, get all detritus build up out.

2: Get you some kind of phosphate remover. I like the HBJ pads myself. I use them regularly to as a preventive major.

3: Make sure your top off water has no TDS readings or as close to zero as possible. Of course this will not tell you if you are putting silicates or phosphates into the tank so make sure those are not in your top off water.

4: A strong clean up crew.

Good Luck working yourself through this ruff time.

phi delt reefer

Get a magnesium test kit and Kent Tech-M - up your MG to 1400 and keep it there until its killed the byrosis. Must use the kent product - some supplement in there seems to do it - other magnesium products dont seem have the same effect.

all other algae need three things to survive; co2, water and light. clearly you cant get rid of the water or co2 (fish do need to breathe) so kill the light. Big light proof blanket over the tank for 48-72 hours. feed at night so you arent exposing the tank to light. SPS will brown out as the zooanthele population increases to sustain the sps but once you start lighting the tank again the color will come back.

you will need to keep your phospates in check going forward. Vaccum your sand bed weekly. poop gets trapped under the larger grains. Also got a fighting conch to help keep it clean

good luck - looking forward to seeing your tank take off again.

Thanks for checking out my build, I haven't ever seen yours so I jumped over here to check it out. Sorry to hear about the crash. I have been in this hobby for a very long time and have been through what you are going through more then once. Perseverance and the love for the hobby have always pulled me through. Doesn't hurt I can't afford to get out now. Got way to much money invested.

Just a few things and I am sure you know all this but it is owrth repeating it anyway.

1: A complete cleaning of the system including the sump, get all detritus build up out.

2: Get you some kind of phosphate remover. I like the HBJ pads myself. I use them regularly to as a preventive major.

3: Make sure your top off water has no TDS readings or as close to zero as possible. Of course this will not tell you if you are putting silicates or phosphates into the tank so make sure those are not in your top off water.

4: A strong clean up crew.

Good Luck working yourself through this ruff time.

Yea I'm doing all of the above. Been using RO/DI and Chemi-Pure Elite. I cleaned out the sump/fuge when I thought I was suffering from old tank syndrome.

Get a magnesium test kit and Kent Tech-M - up your MG to 1400 and keep it there until its killed the byrosis. Must use the kent product - some supplement in there seems to do it - other magnesium products dont seem have the same effect.

all other algae need three things to survive; co2, water and light. clearly you cant get rid of the water or co2 (fish do need to breathe) so kill the light. Big light proof blanket over the tank for 48-72 hours. feed at night so you arent exposing the tank to light. SPS will brown out as the zooanthele population increases to sustain the sps but once you start lighting the tank again the color will come back.

you will need to keep your phospates in check going forward. Vaccum your sand bed weekly. poop gets trapped under the larger grains. Also got a fighting conch to help keep it clean

good luck - looking forward to seeing your tank take off again.

Thanks for the advice.

Archived