Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

First Timer - RSM

kbruin

Hey all, I just got home from class and errands. BROWN ALGAE. Thats all I can say. Its there and in force. On the rocks, sand, and even a little on the korelia and power heads. I'll get pictures up in a bit.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for the Tang go ahead and get him.. For some reason some reefers dont like them but my buddy Glennr1978 has a yellow Tang in his tank and he has one of the nicest setups on NR. Look him up and check out his thread, very nice(with a Tang)..
There is a reason why tangs are not for small reef tanks, just because you have seen one in a tank doesn't make it right.
also, what gives with the bubbles on the top of the rock? The flow causing this?
I am doing this on the blackberry but it looks like diatoms and or canyo which is common at the end of a cycle. A cuc will take care of some of this, the tank should do the rest. Give it some time but don't worry too much, flow and water changes when you are ready will help too. The bubbles are from the algae.

It seems so early for the words "end of cycle" to be used haha. Tank is only 2 weeks old. I want to blame the fact that one rock is local and had lots of algae on it? But at the same time were talking about 2lb of rock out of 47? Dunno, but I was happy to come home to these changes. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow when I wake up.

One rock can "infect" an entire tank, it spreads pretty quickly. That is why you scrub any rock before introducing. But most is pretty normal do a quick search on diatoms and canyo, most see it at the start of a tank.

One rock can "infect" an entire tank, it spreads pretty quickly. That is why you scrub any rock before introducing. But most is pretty normal do a quick search on diatoms and canyo, most see it at the start of a tank.

infect is such a naughty word. Haha. So if i'm not mistaken I'm waiting for the algae to turn green correct? At which point i should start thinking about a CUC?

most of this algae will not turn green, diatoms and canyo are brown in color. YOu can add a CUC when your ammonia and nitrite are low.

New tests as of this morning. Ammonia is gone and Nitrite is staying at that low level, but the Nitrate is taking off.

Test 10/30/08 11/4/08 11/8/08

KH 12 12.0 12.0

pH 8.0 8.0 8.0

Phosphate 2.0 1.0 0.5

Ammonia 8.0 0.0 0.0

Nitrite 2.0 0.5 0.5

Nitrate 15.0 20.0 80.0

Temperature 82.2 80.4 80.9

S.G. 1.024 1.027 1.0

Calcium 500 420.0 500.0

I'm starting to look at CUCs and trying to pick one out. Obviously there are a lot of choices, sites, and sizes, but I wanted to see what you all thought of this one.

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDeta...621&cid=313

The 50gallon package has a ton of creatures. Maybe too many for an RSM? I love the diversity thou.

Any other packages or sites I should check out?

Dr. Foster and Smith has that cool build your own reef cleaner package. They have all sorts of different kinds of snails and such. Just thought you could check it out :D

And I really like you rockscape. It's nice.

New tests as of this morning. Ammonia is gone and Nitrite is staying at that low level, but the Nitrate is taking off.

Test 10/30/08 11/4/08 11/8/08

KH 12 12.0 12.0

pH 8.0 8.0 8.0

Phosphate 2.0 1.0 0.5

Ammonia 8.0 0.0 0.0

Nitrite 2.0 0.5 0.5

Nitrate 15.0 20.0 80.0

Temperature 82.2 80.4 80.9

S.G. 1.024 1.027 1.0

Calcium 500 420.0 500.0

Before you add any clean up crew, be sure to do a water change (or add Purigen and/or ChemiPure) to help bring those Nitrates down... they are headed up into an area that living creatures aren't going to appreciate.

The drop in Phosphate is a good sign - less food for the algae blooms - be sure your replacement water (top off and water change) doesn't have any Phosphates as well. (RO/DI water is recommended in part for this reason).

I am a bit confused on the last SG reading... is that 1.000? Not sure how that much salt would go AWOL in 4 days.

I looked at the package deals for clean up crews, but went with 'add a few on my own' method, as most of the packages seems way overkill for a 34gal tank. I didn't want to see any of the critters die off once the blooms were under control. You can see my stocking list in my thread, link below.

Good luck...scape looks great!

yah i need to sit down with my excel and have a few words with it. Apparently that cell only shows one decimal. In any event the S.G. is 1.026. It seems to be bouncing around a little which is annoying. I have been topping off with RO water and haven't added any salt. It may be I'm not taking care to note water level when I'm checking and that its different each time. Or my hydrometer isn't calculated correctly. Regardless it seems okay for now and hopefully with a water change it will work itself out. I ordered my tunzie this weekend so hopefully that will come monday or tuesday. I'd hope to get a CUC in around that time. I'm guessing the algae will be pretty rampant at that point.

Should I wait for any of the chemical levels to change before adding the CUC or is my tank pretty much ready to rock? Like I said the earliest I'd get one in would be Tuesday.

Thanks lizzie and nugget I'm really happy how the scape turned out too.

Anyone know of a online test supply store where I could get like a test tub rack or something. I'm also looking to replace the API tubes. I don't like the caps. They leak when shaking.

So I think I like the 20 gallon set that Blue Zoo Aquarium has. I added a few extras to round it out.

Sally Lightfoot Crab (Wanted another "unique" crab)

Sand Sifting Starfish (I wanted a starfish)

Turbo Snail (the 20 gallon package didn't have any - these seem like a staple)

Arrow Crab (looks cool)

Tonga Fighting Conch (1 more)

So the CUC would be:

Lettuce Slug x 1

Sand Sifting Starfish x 1

Astraea Snails x 5

Nerite Snails x 7

Margarita Snail x 7

Turbo Snail x 3

Onyx Nassarius Snail x 7

Nassarius Snail x 7

Cerith Snail x 7

Tonga Fighting Snail x 2

Red Leg Reef Hermit Crab x 7

Blue Leg Reef Hermit Crab x 7

Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab x 3

Sally Lightfoot Crab x 1

Emerald Crab x 1

Arrow Crab x 1

That list seems like a lot. I think its 45 snails and 20 crabs? Much more than some other RSMs, but I am just going with the package recommendation. What are your thoughts? I feel they will be able to clean more algae than I probably got. I'll have to feed them? Thoughts?

That list seems like a lot. I think its 45 snails and 20 crabs? Much more than some other RSMs, but I am just going with the package recommendation. What are your thoughts? I feel they will be able to clean more algae than I probably got. I'll have to feed them? Thoughts?

Seems like alot to me too.... I'd been targetting my max cleanup crew at no more than 1 critter per gallon, and I'm at about 11 total now. My diatom bloom wasn't quite as extensive as yours appears, so I can see where you'd want a few more than I have now... your call. My problem with adding too many is two fold: first, hate to see stuff die off for no good reason (lack of food); and second, i'd worry about the ammonia spike if more than a few critters hide and die and can't be taken out.

I'm interested to see how this goes, hope it works out well for you!

I got 15-16 snails and 1 hermit and i'm getting worried of what to do when there are no more algae to eat. My tank looks clean right now and i'm not even cleaning my glass so algae will grow on it. That's a lot of snails you are planning to put in a RSM, but as long as it works for you, then why not.

So I think I like the 20 gallon set that Blue Zoo Aquarium has. I added a few extras to round it out.

Arrow Crab (looks cool)

So the CUC would be:

Lettuce Slug x 1

Astraea Snails x 5

Nerite Snails x 7

Margarita Snail x 7

Turbo Snail x 3

Onyx Nassarius Snail x 7

Nassarius Snail x 7

Cerith Snail x 7

Tonga Fighting Snail x 2

Sally Lightfoot Crab x 1

Emerald Crab x 1

Arrow Crab x 1

Watch out for the Arrow Crab. They will kill fish and hermits. The Sally I am not sure of.

Arrow Crab (looks cool)

So the CUC would be:

Lettuce Slug x 1

Astraea Snails x 5

Nerite Snails x 7

Margarita Snail x 7

Turbo Snail x 3

Onyx Nassarius Snail x 7

Nassarius Snail x 7

Cerith Snail x 7

Tonga Fighting Snail x 2

Sally Lightfoot Crab x 1

Emerald Crab x 1

Arrow Crab x 1

I'd nix the starfish. It will devour the beneficial life in your sand bed and then possibly slowly starve after it has cleaned it all out. Plus, the sand sifting star will stay completely buried in the sand and you won't ever see it anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I may tone down some of the crab and snails from 7 of each type to something lower. And maybe add one or two shrimp. I'm gonna research more on the arrow crab and star fish. Here is my tanks current algae situation:

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

Okay so I took another round of tests

Test 10/30/08 11/4/08 11/8/08 11/11/08

KH 12 12.0 12.0 11.0

pH 8.0 8.0 8.0 8.0

Phosphate 2.0 1.0 0.5 0.5

Ammonia 8.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Nitrite 2.0 0.5 0.5 1.0

Nitrate 15.0 20.0 80.0 20.0

Temperature 82.2 80.4 80.9 77.0

S.G. 1.024 1.027 1.026 1.026

Calcium 500 420.0 500.0 400.0

Things to note:

I think I messed up the Nitrate test last time. As I don't think it went 20-80-20. I bet it is staying pretty solid. The nitrite is sticking around which is annoying. But Ammonia and phosphate remain almost zero. The S.G. still isn't quite right, but with a water change that should clear up.

Also. My temp was fluctuating between 79-82 from morning till night (probably the light). My room stays pretty cool. So I decided to leave the heater off for a night. Well it came down to 77. Soo.. I'm blaming the heater haha. A stealth will be included with my CUC order.

What do you all think? Is it safe to add a CUC at this point? Or should I wait some more for the levels to come down a bit more?

So the CUC would be:

Lettuce Slug x 1 Think twice and research

Sand Sifting Starfish x 1 NEVER

Astraea Snails x 5 Will die if they fall on their backs.

Nerite Snails x 7 GREAT SNAIL

Margarita Snail x 7 There are better snails

Turbo Snail x 3 PERFECT!

Onyx Nassarius Snail x 7 Too many

Nassarius Snail x 7 Too many

Cerith Snail x 7 Great snail!

Tonga Fighting Snail x 2

Red Leg Reef Hermit Crab x 7 Great hermits

Blue Leg Reef Hermit Crab x 7 Less lazy and small, 7 is good.

Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab x 3 Lazy, but pretty

Sally Lightfoot Crab x 1 Cool crab

Emerald Crab x 1 Will eat Macro before algae

Arrow Crab x 1 Think twice

Archived