ReefCleaners.org

First Timer - RSM

kbruin

I rearranged some of the rock. I tried to make two bases at the left and right ends to use as platforms of some nature. There are also some ledges up high. The structure over all is a bit lower now. There isn't a good spot for the top left piece so i hope to fill it in with live stock to round out the top of it all

IMG_0836.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I rearranged some of the rock. I tried to make two bases at the left and right ends to use as platforms of some nature. There are also some ledges up high. The structure over all is a bit lower now. There isn't a good spot for the top left piece so i hope to fill it in with live stock to round out the top of it all

IMG_0836.jpg

Looks nice! I can't wait 'til you start stocking it with corals and stuff.

First battery of tests finished

Test 10/30/08

KH 12

Calcium 500

pH 8.0

Phosphate 2.0

Ammonia 8.0

Nitrite 2.0

Nitrate 15

Temperature 82.2

S.G. 1.024

My temp is a bit high. I'm gonna crank the AC and turn off the light, see if I can't get it to come down. Hopefully it will stay there and that the water was just warm when it was put in. It looks like my filter needs more time to get a handle on the ammonia and nitrates. Not surprised.

I did pick up one more piece of LR and now I'm pretty happy with the scape.

IMG_0837.jpg

So my tank is down to 81.1 right now. I've had the hood open, lights off, and the AC is on. My housemates are really against the AC, apparently college students don't like spending money haha. So i've sold them on it for the next few hours. Any better ways to cool the water down. I have about 10 gallons of salt water in a tub left over from filling my tank (I went with the extra can't hurt method). I thought about leaving the tub outside to cool down over night. I think it will get pretty cold tonight. And then do a water change tomorrow? Other ideas?

Edit: 80.9 :)

hooka hooka hooka

I am glad to see you moved the rock away from the glass, it makes for dead spots in flow, and also is imposibble to clean so you will have green spots forever.

Temp looks good.

Don't do a water change until the cycle is complete. Red sea test kits are pretty bad so you may want to back up with a more accurate test like API, unless we have been over this, too many new RSM owners this month!

When i got home this morning my tank was at 79.1 its back up to 79.8 and holding with the light on. Hopefully it will just stay right at this temp. No matter what its better than 82.

I still sometimes get air bubbles from the pumps. My intake grate is all the way down. If I raise it at all I get bubbles, is that normal to have it that low? I think my ground is slightly uneven. The front water level is higher than the back. I still have the back water level at about 1/4" below the molding. Maybe its a 1/2" under. I need to get some RO water today to compensate for the evaporation. An ATO is looking mighty nice already haha.

ATO for the win! They let you get away from the tank for more than a day! Well worth the money.

I have my grate about 1/4" above it's lowest point to handle surface film buildup. The tank is still new and the bubbles should pass over time. If not check the pumps, reset the impellors. Just watch your water levels, a tank should be level but I guess it is too late now.

Yah well also everything will change once the media rack and Tunzie are in so we'll see about these little bubbles. The level thing was expected my floors are crappy and it's unavoidable, I'll just measure everything from the back mark.

Okay.... so I think I did something bone headed.... take a look

IMG_0843.jpg

I think I put my mechanical filtration in the wrong place haha. As you can see its on the left of the skimmer. The black sponge is cut kinda triangleish and I thought it just fit perfectly in the crevice between the simmer and glass. But now I'm sorta thinking it goes under the intake? Maybe thats the source of my bubbles and such?

doh!

yeah, that is not the spot for it. It needs to go under the intake to catch detritus right away before they get inside your chambers. That could be the big reason for the bubbles, flow is very sensitive in this tank, it goes up and down and such, and in that area water is pulled up into the heater chamber, where it falls, then back up to the pumps. So you are restricting it and also making bubble with the sponge.

under the intank NOOB :)

but it does beg the quest what gives with the slant in the sponge. Why isn't it just a cube? Making it look like it fits against the slant of the skimmer just is asking for it.

It did help as I was able to raise the grate some maybe a quarter inch or a bit less. So it'll do a bit better with the surface.

For mechanical filter changes during the cycle. I got some polyester fill for the top part which I'll get in there in a few days. What should I replace the big black sponge with and when? Thanks.

That is a new design to "limit" microbubbles in the tank, but interesting that it would look to fit there. See orginal sponge like the one I got was a cube, it was HUGE too, but I cut it in half right away.

After your cycle, the garbage can would be a good place for the sponge, it will look great there. Floss only, so fresh and so clean clean.

Spnoges are "dirty" just like bioballs, they just trap detritus, even if you rinse them there is that gunk that just loves to grow nitrates.

during the cycle, you can rinse the sponge if it clogs up.

My trash can has been lacking something so I'm excited about my prospects.

I picked up a jug of distilled water to calibrate my hydrometer. That thing is pretty neat. Anyways I used A DROP of it. What can I do with the rest? Is distilled safe to refill the tank with to compensate for evaporation?

Also my temp has creeped back up to 81.1 during the course of the day. The light has been on for most of it. I'm not too worried about it at this point, but I'm watching it closely.

Also, looking through website and catalogs i keep seeing the American Marine pinpoint test systems. Any one used these? I'm thinking... if I get into this at my age and continue for decades wouldn't it be cheeper to have a simple and electronic test than buying test strips?

I'm probably thinking this because matching colors is not my strongest skill. I do love playing chemist and I have thought about getting a box of gloves and a lab coat just for tests, but sticking a probe into my tank and getting a nitrate reading has its appeal. Obviously the $100 a piece price is steep, but I feel that as long as they last a while having a pH, Nitrate, Calcium, and Alk would be sweet. I know I gotta pace myself as there is lots of stuff out there that is shiny, but Xmas is just around the corner haha.

Thanks N-Rers

next time you buy something, pick up some calibration solution for your refractor. Using distilled and or RO isn't as accurate. You want to calibrate it to accurately read 35ppt not zero.

Electronic testing equipment has come a long way, yet it is not exactly there plus for the cost it doesn't make economic sense. You test a lot in the beginning, but after your cycle, and after your tank ages, not so much. The only electronic testing equipment that is more widly accepted is for PH, and it is more affrodable. But you have calibrate, and keep doing so through it's life. Liquid test kits are pretty accurate and inexpensive. --- all in my opinion.

Yes, you can use distilled for top offs.

I completely missed this new RSM thread! :o

I really like your rockscape, it took me several tries before I got to where it is now, and I love it. I can't wait to see what corals and fish you'll be getting. What fish do you think you will begin with?

I completely missed this new RSM thread! :o

I really like your rockscape, it took me several tries before I got to where it is now, and I love it. I can't wait to see what corals and fish you'll be getting. What fish do you think you will begin with?

I have no idea. I'm attracted to really colorful and bright fish. I know I'll get a clown no matter what haha. First I gotta pick up a clean up crew. But thats a few weeks still.

Second batch of tests are finished.

Test 10/30/08 11/4/08

KH 12 12.0

pH 8.0 8.0

Phosphate 2.0 1.0

Ammonia 8.0 0.0

Nitrite 2.0 0.5

Nitrate 15.0 20.0

Temperature 82.2 80.4

S.G. 1.024 1.027

Calcium 500 420.0

All that seems normal to me. I'm not sure why my S.G. is going up as I haven't added any more salt. But I'm gonna re-calibrate my refractometer.

My rocks are getting nice and furry. Some green stalks have popped up along with some random other life that I can't describe. More or less my rocks have lots of things bobbing in the water. The one rock I bought locally that had lots of red algae on it is turning orange. Dunno if thats good or bad. So far no real other algae growth. But its only been up for almost a week. I think I set it up Tuesday night.

Anyways once there is something going on in there. I'll get some more pictures up.

I'm not sure why my S.G. is going up as I haven't added any more salt. But I'm gonna re-calibrate my refractometer.

My rocks are getting nice and furry. Some green stalks have popped up along with some random other life that I can't describe. More or less my rocks have lots of things bobbing in the water. The one rock I bought locally that had lots of red algae on it is turning orange. Dunno if thats good or bad. So far no real other algae growth. But its only been up for almost a week. I think I set it up Tuesday night.

Anyways once there is something going on in there. I'll get some more pictures up.

On the salinity, was the water level in the tank the same at both measurements (i.e. up to the black edge, or 1/4" below the black edge)? Not so important that it be either one or the other, as long as it was consistent both times. If you've had some evaporation, your salinity will go up (i.e. salt doesn't evaporate, so there is more salt in less volume of water), but without adding more salt, that's the only explanation that makes sense.

Good luck!

haha, the funny thing about that is. There has been evaporation and I've added a gallon of water. And yet there is more salt? I think that my tank defies science and reason. Oh joy.

I turkey basted my rocks. Boy were they dirty. My tank looks like a pond with all that junk floating around. I think I'll wash out my two sponges when it settles.

Oh and I looked closer at my "red rock" as I'm calling it - its the only rock bought locally and has the algae. But there is some dark green algae growing on it that looks like grass.

I'm happy my ammonia level disappeared and my nitrites went down. It seems my nitrates have jumped up a tad. We'll see if this turns into the full cycle :)

Hey,

ok so iam kind of in the same boat as u and hav never set up a marine tank before! i would really love to try it out and get a RSM but i keep getting mixed results! how is urs going and how is the red sea components going? i also hear u can use tap water with ur tank? is this true? i hav millions of questions so i hope im not going to be a pain! i would just like to no before i jump in!

thanx

Hey,

ok so iam kind of in the same boat as u and hav never set up a marine tank before! i would really love to try it out and get a RSM but i keep getting mixed results! how is urs going and how is the red sea components going? i also hear u can use tap water with ur tank? is this true? i hav millions of questions so i hope im not going to be a pain! i would just like to no before i jump in!

thanx

Hey TPK yah I know what you mean about those questions. At first I was really shy about asking really basic things, but I've gotten used to harassing Stevie about this tank haha ;) I would not use tap water in any reef tank. Corals just don't like the things in tap water and you'd be setting yourself up for trouble. I know the other people on the forum would agree. I really like the Red Sea. It looks great and is almost like an ant farm in that it really is a kit you set up and enjoy. i'm not saying its easy because its not, but it is a really great way to get into this hobby. Mine is going well no real problems so far. The components are okay. You'll wanna ditch the skimmer and possibly the heater, thou mine doesn't seem to have any troubles. You can totally run it stock and not have issues and you'll be happy, but some mods will make your life easier and possibly improve the health of your tank. But I'm no expert. Talk to stevie, he knows this tank in and out.

Update:

Here are some pictures of the rocks in my tank.

They looked dead, but I woke up this morning and some where white and you can even see some are returning to a neon green. Very exciting. I hope the whole colony returns.

IMG_0856.jpg

This is a cool rock. I bought it separately from the rest locally and it has the most growth on it.

IMG_0857.jpg

Some of the odd vertical plant like growth.

IMG_0858.jpg

Nothing growing here, but it has a pretty cool something on it that I hope returns

IMG_0860.jpg

Anyways theres not much else to report. Still playing the waiting game for the levels to get figured out.

I did get Stevies rack cup yesterday. Now I need to get a Tunzie for them to go with, but no rush since I'm not even using the skimmer. Probably something to do this weekend.

As for the Tang go ahead and get him.. For some reason some reefers dont like them but my buddy Glennr1978 has a yellow Tang in his tank and he has one of the nicest setups on NR. Look him up and check out his thread, very nice(with a Tang)..

Archived