Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fix your Odyssea 250W Ballast for less than $15!

evilc66

First one is definitely Odyssea. Second one I'm 95% sure is also. Chances are it uses the same ballasts anyway. The end cap arrangement is a little different, but everything else looks the same.

If you can find that first one again for that price, thats a smoking deal. If you can't, check out the shipping prices at Aquatraders because they have the fixture cheaper than the second link.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Try here

http://www.newark.com/fairchild-semiconduc...equestid=108728

They have 89 in stock.

SDT, did you ever get yours done?

Thanks for the link evil.

Yeah she did her's , 4th post on page 4.

She did however report some problem acouple of posts after that.

How do you order from Aquatraders? I called them and they said to send a email , I sent a email yesterday listing the items I wanted , and asking them to call me for credit card info. Waiting on them to call me or email me. :confused:

Durrrr :slap: I remeber seeing it now.

Don't know abot Aquatraders. Phone call is the most reliable way of getting a hold of them, but I don't know about orders.

Ordered killawatt meter , light and mosfets today. Will post updates once I finish the mod.

For anyone trying to buy the fixture , definatley got to Ebay and find the seller Hombby , MUCH easier to get intouch with than Aquatraders.

Oh and Evil , I think it's BS that RC isn't letting you share your mod.

Well, they will, provided that I write out the entire thing over there. They don't allow links to other forums. As a result, they aren't going to get it :P

I did some additional testing over the weekend on this mod. While I got 252W on the stock Odyssea bulbs, the ballast only pulled 190W on a Phoenix 14k. While there has been much improvement in the overall draw of the ballast, and the color and brightness of the bulb looks fine, it seems that the regulation on the ballast isn't that great. It's possible that your mileage may vary from ballast to ballast with this mod. For the money involved, it's still worth trying, but it now explains why some people saw little to no change, while I saw great improvements on the stock bulb.

Well that sucks. ;)

I'm going to do the mod anyway. Especially since I don't have the money for new bulbs or ballasts yet.

Should give a better color to the stock bulb while I save up cash for a better ballast/bulb combo.

Like I said, for the money, it's worth it. If you get more output out of it, great. If you don't, no harm, no foul.

Mosfets and KillAWatt arrived today.

They came from Oklahoma and South Carlonia.

The light on the other hand is somewhere between here and San Fransisco. Probablly won't get the light until next week , would be nice to get it on friday.

Is there some way to check that the killawatt is reading correctly? I connected it to a Coralife PC fixture w/ 1x96w and it only read 80w of draw.

Kill-a-Watts are know to be pretty acurate. You would have to use a device that has a known draw. I wouldn't worry to greatly about it. Chances are the Coralife ballst is underdriving the bulb too. I do know that the Current USA fixtures are pretty close to what they advertise.

Light got here today.

Do wattage tests on all the stock lights. The CF's only pull about 69-70 each. Testing the halide now , it turned on at 50w and had me really worried it wasn't even going to fire , but after 10 or so seconds the bulb came on. It's pulling 175 right now and still slowly climbing.

--------------------

It's tapped out at 186w , decent draw , but no 250w.

I'll have my buddy with some soildering expereince do the mod sometime soon , whenever he has time.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you done the mod yet, I'm still trying to decide if the 15 dollar mod is worth it or if i should put it towards a new ballast. 15 bucks is 15 bucks. Anyway, I just got a really nice giesemann megachrome 14500K bulb and would really hate to underdrive it, as the price of the bulb is in the ballpark of the whole system lol.

There seems to be some variance to the performance of this mod depending on the bulb used. The stock bulb showed the most gains, while a Phoenix 14K showed only a little improvement, but it did fire (which I have heard is hit and miss on the stock ballast). The Megachrome could see decent improvements. For the $15, it's probably worth a try.

Alright I think i'll give it a shot. I had bought the canopy used and the person I bought it from had had the stock bulb on for about 14 months. Just switching to the megachrome was a drastic improvement to say the least, but it is still surprisingly a little yellow. If the mod doesn't coax the megachrome to go bluer, I may just go with the icecap, which would surely push the bulb to its full potential. I'll keep ya'll posted.

There are other ballast alternatives that could save you a few bucks (like Ballastwise), but the Icecap is a simple plug and play deal. If you do the Icecap, get a PC power cord extension. The cord on the Icecaps are strangely short.

There are other ballast alternatives that could save you a few bucks (like Ballastwise), but the Icecap is a simple plug and play deal. If you do the Icecap, get a PC power cord extension. The cord on the Icecaps are strangely short.

im getting mine tomorrow at my lfs. its this one. he also has one over his sps frag tank its the 48" fixture. hes been runing for 5 months stock and looks really great. hes helping me out and giving me mine for the 329.00 price instead of 349.00 that everyone will be paying. im just debating if i should do this mod or not or the icecap, because he speaks and talks with people form aqua traders and says hes running everything stock that came with it. ballast/bulbs everything.

Fixture Size: 35.50 x 15 x 3

Support: 2x 250W DE HQI, 2x 65W Compact Fluorescent, 6x Dual Bluemoon LED

External 250W Electronic HQI Metal Halide Ballasts with On/Off Switch

Internal Compact Fluorescent Ballasts

Three On/Off Switch, 1 for CF, 1 for LEDs, 1 for Cooling Fan

Individual Power Cords for Separate Timer Setup

Non-Corrosive Powder Coated Aluminum Housing

Heavy Duty Cooling Fan

Tempered Glass and Clear Acrylic Lens Covers

Highly Polished Reflector

Mounting Legs Included

Thats just a heatsink. Ballast already has those.

Ahh.. my bad. I thought they included the MOSFETs. Since I am buying 6x of them, is there a cheaper alternative?

What specs should I be looking for?

Archived