Coral Vue Hydros

My 75 Gallon peninsula tank

MitchReef

Wow we really think alike. Lol I just noticed you have a Starry Blenny! Mine's the coolest fish I've had real mower and awesome personality. Anyways also thought I'd say I have that same Tabling Acro, I can't remember what my LFS owner called it but it looks just like yours and mine's having an issue growing UP to. How long did it take for yours to start growing upward rather then outward? Mine's under 400W of 20K MH in a 30 cube but it's still just out and out and out I've had it about a month now.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to one and all...Scotty, I never noticed your location line...I'm of nearly 85% Scot heritage, but never been there to see the "homeland"...

Bryan, I will put you on the list as well...we can always try to make something work for it...one never knows...and thanks for the good words...I didn't even notice the post count...

b_c_..I get a real kick out of my Blennie too..Lennie the Blennie my 7 year old named him...as for the tabler, it may never really grow vertically very much, as it appears to be a true tabling form...I have had it for months (like 8 or 9) and it continues to grow but out not up...as for what it is called, I dunno cause i got it as a faded frag from a friend who has a dinner plate size colony, and it colored up to this...Many say that ORA Chip's doesn't table, but another friend has a colony of it that is still attached to the ORA plug and it's grown out to a table...he says that's what this is, and that people say it doesn't table because they've just never grown a frag out enough to see it!!! That's what I call it...my Chip's table....

I appreciate the compliment...we will have to see what everything looks like...When your weather cools off Mine gets hot as he[[!!!! LOL!!

Good job! You got the tort to listen, now tell the superman to get it's act together mitch! :lol: Can't wait for them to grow enough for me to get a frag! On a side note, got a pic of the surhasonoi up! :)

I really wish I could get the rock that the Tort is grown onto out of the tank without major aquascape destruction...I could probably cut a MAJOR encrustation frag, but the way it's in the scape I will just have to be BIG TOME patient for any significant frags, or I will just have to provide little grow-out frags...I guess I need to get a couple of little pieces started encrusting...maybe this weekend.... :D

I was staring into the water with the Actinics doing the sunrise thing and just had to snap a picture of my poor fractured tricolor A. valida...this is the one that was three trunks, about 2 1/2 inches tall when there was a slight liverock versus gravity accident and it got smashed....that was quite a few months ago, and it's been just encrusting and getting thicker...I think it's about due to start growing upward again soon, but the colors caught my eye and I had to snap one....

IMG_0523.jpg

I just love the way that one was showing up this morning...

Mitch

Sounds good to me....

I gotta get that little guy growing some eyes....when it grows out I now have a waiting list thwt goes like this:

JKUNZ, Mnherper, Jasong, akabryanhall and dtfleming....

I will certainly keep this list as a real lock-in, and when I'm ready I will post up on here and send PM's to the list....I am quite humbled with y'all having positive regard for me and my Happy Corals...thanks,

Now....let's all start the mantra....grow...grow....grow....

Mitch

great!

future TOTM?

I really appreciate that sentiment, but must say I cannot even think of holding my tank in the same light as those great efforts...I just do the best that I can with what I have...

Well, Our club had our quarterly Frag Event last night. We cannot call it a frag auction because of legalities, but that's what it really is....I will get pics a little later (after the lights come up) and show off my new acquisitions...I got a beautiful frag of Atlantis Aquariums Meteor Shower Cyphastrea and a frag of Montipora that is supposed to be Undata, but I just don't know about that one...it has some growing out to do before I accept that is what this frag is....anyway, pics to follow....

Thanks,

Mitch

As I stated above, our club quarterly frag auction was last night and it took fourteen lifetimes to finish...I got home quite late and got the frags acclimated and into the tank by about 2:00 AM...The lights just came up and so neither of the new ones have really gotten used to the tank, but here they are...

First is a nice encrusted / encrusting frag of AA Meteor Shower Cyphastrea...It is really beautiful and is yet another of my list of desired specimens...

IMG_0536.jpg

The second is supposed to be Montipora Undata, but I'm not totally sold on it actually being such...I will have to give it some tank time and see what it turns into...worst case scenario, it will be a decent piece of trading stock....

IMG_0538.jpg

Now, just for fun, it's only been 13 days between these two pictures, but I wanted to show a little bit of growth in the BGM...especially notice the lower edge, which was not originally even reaching all the way to the frag plug...

1/19/09

IMG_0396.jpg

2/1/09

IMG_0542.jpg

It has gotten wider and is now spreading over the top lip of the plug...

remember the mantra...grow...grow...grow...

Okay, so I went to my local Ultra-Exotics Aquaculturalist and dear friend, Juice of Juicycorals.com, really just because I needed to get a box and heatpack for a shipment I'm shooting out the end of this week. Anyway, this guy has the sweetest stuff and does the insane deals on his shipping...but anyway, I go over to the Casa de Juice (my wording, not his) this afternoon, and I left with a beautiful Aussie Rainbow Ultra grade Acan lords...these are my first and I will just have to see how well they do in my tank....They have only been in my tank for an hour and a half when this was taken....

IMG_0549.jpg

I can't wait to see this thing get Happy!!!!

Check out some of the new stuff under the actinics....

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

Looks like a tangerine's granny knitted it a sweater....just look at that mouth!!!

And this thing looks wider at the base than it did this afternoon....

IMG_0556.jpg

Looking awesome Mitch!!!

You truly do have the most "HAPPY" corals I've seen! Looks like you have TONS of stuff for me to add to my wish list now!!! Just sign me up for one of every frag you make, that I havn't already gotten from you anyways.

Mitch is by far the best "hobbyiest" seller around!!!

Please keep getting sweet corals so I have frags to look forward too!!! I need to send you these orange acans I have.

Well, This is my first try at Acanthastrea lordhowensis or any variety of Cyphastrea, but I'm excited by both....

I will, of course, post lots of pictures as these new guys become Happy Corals...

Updates to follow....

Damn! Nice acan, i've been hunting for a cheap rainbow forever with no avail. Just keep them out of direct light and strong flow, that's what really pissed mine off. Luckily my two favorites are thiriving and one is starting to look rainbowish, with faint green streaks on the top polyps that get the most light.

It still hasn't opened up much, but I can be patient...I have it on the sandbed below the area where lighting shifts from 150W to 250W...the flow is heavy but not directed...Hopefully it will open up soon....

This was stated to be a $75 per head rainbow (at most LFS's), but I got a great deal on it...I wanted a "cheap" acan to try it out, but I got a really great offer on this one...JuicyCorals.com, I'm telling you guys, Juice is the best...

I am really anxious to see that super orange mouth open up....I think I am going to dust it with cyclopeez tonight....

I found out the actual ID for my sweet tabling Acro over the weekend. The friend who I got it from got "the experts" on RC involved and found out that it is actually Acropora desalwii...I have loved it for a while and was quite pleased to get a solid ID...here is a fresh picture...

IMG_0557.jpg

I really need to build a top-down photo box...maybe I will do that this weekend....

You would be amazed if you saw the coloration (or should I say the lack of coloration) when I got it...very pale in comparison...I love the way it spans from that sweet teal green all the way to purple...

Archived