Innovative Marine Aquariums

My 75 Gallon peninsula tank

MitchReef

Thanks a million. I try hard to keep stuff right and to let the Residents do what they do best. I've been blessed with a lot of good friends, and a few great frasgs and it's the best I can do. PLEASE visit my tank thread and see the build. It was amazing. Virtually everything involved in the build was other peoples' junk.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a bit of fragging yesterday....just wanted to send the genetic lines out to different areas for the good of the species....Took some pics, just to illustrate the process....

CIMG2013.jpg

CIMG2015.jpg

That was actually cutting these two pieces:

Pinkmillea.jpg

shown here:

CIMG2019.jpg

and here:

CIMG2025.jpg

I also cut this:

greenslimer2.jpg

producing this nice piece:

CIMG2021.jpg

One that I couldn't cut because it's grown onto one of my foundation rocks, so I had to break off limblets as possible:

bluetort3.jpg

Here are the two frag setups from it:

CIMG2027.jpg

CIMG2028.jpg

They are small, but long enough to put on upward growth soon!

I also cut off some of this one:

Monticonfusa3.jpg

giving these two nice pieces:

CIMG2023.jpg

and:

CIMG2018.jpg

These pieces, as well as a couple of little pieces of some nice stuff, just to make the package more like a present, are going to be headed to a couple of friends in Michigan and Kentucky....gotta get those genetic strains out there all over the world...that's part of what makes Happy Corals happy in the first place....

Mitch

never.................................

Oh....and BTW....everyone (yeah, that includes you too Kunz) notice the end of that sick Green Slimer has a BUNCH of new growth tips.....

That's going to be a SCORE!!!!

Gotta say....yup....looks Happy to me!!!!

now, if I could just get somebody to stumble through this thread it would be nice too!!!!

just wrote on your thread too...I got both open....read my update there....some advice on the wounded frags....

Just read PM....nevermind....

Hey, I will check back here later, gotta go cook dinner then rig my new T5 actinics in my hood....getting rid of these hot nasty PC's that do NOTHING....

Hello boys n girls....can you say Geisemann Actinic plus?????

I got them finished and everything GLOWING LIKE BAD PARTY DECORATIONS UNDER BLACK LIGHTS....and enjoyed about 10 minutes and the lights timed out!!!!

Oh well, I will have many more chances to see em pop!!! OMG what a difference...I just love those TEC II reflectors....

Mitch, you can send me those frags! But man the corals i recevived from you wedensday are doing great! The sunset has full PE already, I promise pics tomorrow, now the digi just needs to color up. :)

Thanks a lot Atomic....Unfortunately, for just about my entire tank I'm back in a grow out stage....

I am in the final stages of working out a trade for a really sweet item....another Steve Tyree Limited Edition piece...A friend of mine got 2 eyes of this coral and it grew for 4 months and he had 16 eyes....Well, he let my other buddy get hold of it and he sawed it into tiny little frags...The Lineage on this one is truly amazing...Here it is:

BubblegumMonstercolony.jpg

That's right, I'm getting a piece of Bugglegum Monster chalice....and it's the REAL DEAL.....Obviously I will not be getting that entire colony, that's a picture from my buddy Juice's site, just used for reference...I will get one tiny eye piece....But it will grow....

I will be cutting my Blasto up for this and will have a couple of really nice frags of it growing out after that...

Dunno just when I will be cutting the Blasto up, but it will be a big thing....that's the FIRST really nice coral I ever owned....the one that started it all!!!! Here is one view of the Big Momma and some of her babies:

CIMG2091.jpg

And with the Duncans...that's like 15 or 18 heads of Duncans and a nice rock of acan echinatas, just for size reference....

CIMG2105.jpg

Those were obviously taken under the actinics....my camera doesn't have a raw file out, and it beats the pics to death in processing them to JPEG...I really have to work at getting good pics with it...there is VERY LITTLE adjustment available...I HATE MY CAMERA!!!!

One that I couldn't cut because it's grown onto one of my foundation rocks, so I had to break off limblets as possible:

bluetort3.jpg

These pieces, as well as a couple of little pieces of some nice stuff, just to make the package more like a present, are going to be headed to a couple of friends in Michigan and Kentucky....gotta get those genetic strains out there all over the world...that's part of what makes Happy Corals happy in the first place....

Mitch

Mitch, I forgot to ask, what is this acro called? Deffinatly wanna swap some pearlberry for that one and some superman! Oh and the frag shelf looks so damn empty, start cutting. lol.

That piece nick, is my Blue Acropora tortuosa, or Blue Tort....I dunno the history of it, except to say that when I got it, it certainly wasn't as happy as it is now...

I started out with this miserable little piece, bought on the idea of what it could turn into...her is the start frag:

P9300024.jpg

and then became Happy Coral:

bluetort3.jpg

Another amazing transition is my great Trachyphillia brain. I got it as a beautiful, but little and very pale specimen:

PB190002.jpg

and became this:

CIMG1688.jpg

Some of these guys just freak me out, especially when I look at the "Before" and "Happy" pictures.

Enjoy,

Mitch

Okay everyone...I got tired of being over in the Big Tanks area and got this moved here...now y'all can see my stuff without venturing out of the safety of nanoworld!!!

I want some "Before" and "Happy" pics like that!!!

I actually have a Blue Tort that looks like your Before pic right now.

How long of a time frame was there between your before and after pics?

I am almost embarrassed to say how long it took these corals to grow, but they have been involved in one tank upgrade from 29 G to 75 G, including not doing a real cycle on the new tank (I loaded it with working Live Rock and never saw a real spike) and then a move from one home to another in a cooler that got WAY too cool....

But, the Tort was 9/30/07 to 11/10/08, and it has given up MANY frags, just due to my clumsy hands.

The Trachy was 11/19/07 to 10/3/08...

Mitch

BTW hows that blue torch doing for you? Any growth? Mine looks great as always but is super slow, I have yet to recover your frag in growth even!

Everyone, thanks a million for the considerate words...

Christal, the torch is a beautiful color, the pale blue iridescence is sweet...NO GROWTH!!!! That baby is SLOW!!!! But, that's cool.....

pismo, that brain was so pretty even when little and transparent that I had to badger my LFS for like 2 months to pull it out of a display tank for me....It went NUTS when I started bombarding it with light and pummelling it with flow...

So I was just flipping through some pictures looking for something and I happened upon this great shot of my Acropora chesterfieldensis, Montipora confusa and Acropora tortuosa and felt like I had to post this one:

CIMG2110-2.jpg

The tort shows a few white spots from fragging off individal little branches...It's all better now... :)

Enjoy,

Mitch

Archived