Innovative Marine Aquariums

My 75 Gallon peninsula tank

MitchReef

I could do that for a cut of the action B)

Sooooo......nobody else with a comment about the frags.....Ain't that a slap in da face...... :slap:

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could do that for a cut of the action B)

Sooooo......nobody else with a comment about the frags.....Ain't that a slap in da face...... :slap:

Just wanted to say that you have amazing corals and I plan on being a purchaser when my tank is up and running/established.

I appreciate that....where are you located? I have corals everywhere from Central Florida to far Northern California, Louisville KY to Greater Detroit MI.....Happy Corals spread all over the place!!!!!

Gotta hand it to ya NRF....you always know how to put a smile on this grizzled old face....

but....BTW....I'm rather proud of my rack as well!

Does this guy look all puffed up and happy with himself? Or what....

IMG_1766.jpg

and here's my Starry Blennie (named Lennie) hanging out with the Gorg....the fish is over 5 inches long now...

IMG_1774.jpg

The colors on this Birdsnest have gone nuts on me recently....

IMG_1775.jpg

and my Bird of Paradise is doing great.....

IMG_1778.jpg

I'm seeing some growth from my JC's Ancient Earth chalice as well.....

IMG_1784.jpg

The Pink Panties went into the display tonight.....

IMG_1785.jpg

My little patch of SunFlowers.....

IMG_1776.jpg

When I got this guy he was as purple as anything I've ever seen with the neon green mouths (6 mouths) and I put it up high under scorching light....it turned pale tan with the crazy eyes and....well....

IMG_1763.jpg

after it grew a few more eyes in the intense light I moved it to a shady area of the tank it's just starting to color back up nicely....once colored up well I will chop it up and grow a bunch of nice frags.....

Well....after spending two days working on my old beater van I was driving home tonight and it started losing power....I believe it was overheating but the gage wasn't showing it....anyway, I limped into a drugstore parking lot and popped the hood, only to find FLAMES!!!! I guess it got so hot in there that the oily, greasy old motor just caught fire.....I ran inside and borrowed a Fire Extinguisher, put it out and called my Bride to come get me....now that's about the worst way to start an evening....

With that tragedy aside I was sitting here looking across the room at my sweet reef, with it's filthy glass, and I decided to snap a couple pics of the latest growth spurt....

This is the view of Stoney Island from my seat on the family room couch....

IMG_1796.jpg

Softey Island....I would love to add another 20 pounds of rock to raise it up high enough to be another SPS area....

IMG_1797.jpg

An end view.....just for fun.....

IMG_1798.jpg

And Stoney Island from the other side of the tank....

IMG_1799.jpg

I love my reef...it really helps my soul when I'm so upset....Now I gotta figure out what to do for transportation....a friend loaned us his son's car (son's away in college) for a short time while I figure out what to do....but I still gotta come up with a more permanent solution.....

Sorry about the recent troubles Mitch.

When all is well in the reef tank, it really is a good place to sit and stare and unwind for a bit.

Hang in there

Tank is a stunner my friend.

Sorry about the recent troubles Mitch.

When all is well in the reef tank, it really is a good place to sit and stare and unwind for a bit.

Hang in there

Tank is a stunner my friend.

Yup, it's like it never stops.....Now I gotta come up with money for another recession-mobile....

I do tend to get into a funk over stuff like that, and then I neglect the reef....which is really stupid, cause, like you said, this is the time to really turn back to the reef for solace....

And...thanks again for the props.... :)

Yup, it's like it never stops.....Now I gotta come up with money for another recession-mobile....

I do tend to get into a funk over stuff like that, and then I neglect the reef....which is really stupid, cause, like you said, this is the time to really turn back to the reef for solace....

And...thanks again for the props.... :)

I do the same thing. -_-

I hope you are able to find a good solution to your vehicular dilemna.

Just now I have a saving grace from good friends...My step-daughter's X-boyfriend and his family are still really good friends...the kids are both away in college, and his car is here, for sale....as of right now they have loaned it to me for a little while, and I am going to see if I can buy it....at least I know it has been well cared for, and has given them no real problems over a year +....

I really need to get it together on my tank though, I haven't tested the water in like 3 or 4 weeks....thank goodness for my auto-dosing DIY.....

and the glass is dirty as a monkey-butt :o

You've been looking at Monkey Butts lately? :o

Dude, that's a total waste of time.

Work on your Beautiful Tank instead.

Might wanna wash your hands first though.

*ducks*

I gotta smile at that last one....thanks Weetie....

BTW...that's an amazing moth in your avatar.....it took me a minute to figure what it was.....

That is beautiful....I would have guessed it to be in Bolivia or someplace like that....I bet it was all the radiation that caused it to look like that!!!!

That is beautiful....I would have guessed it to be in Bolivia or someplace like that....I bet it was all the radiation that caused it to look like that!!!!

Lol, no they're supposed to be native to Eastern North America.

It's the first time I've ever seen one though, and I've been living in Eastern North America for a while now.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...I didn't die...or slip off the edge of the earth....I got another old crappy car, but I'm still working on getting the AC working (a Must-Have item here in Florida).....

I got the camera out again this evening and am going to bombard the thread with new pictures....I just love my tank.....

The Siver Bullet Bonzai is coloring up nicely....

IMG_1802.jpg

It still has a way to go, but look at this Blue-Green Acropora echinata....

IMG_1803.jpg

It has colored beautifully, and so has the little ORA Blue Acropora tortuosa....

IMG_1804.jpg

Maybe I can grow that one out to the splendor that was my original colony....the Greg Hiller's Aquadelight is doing well too....

IMG_1805.jpg

I owe those to a member of my local club...we did a nice swap a few weeks ago....

Now for some oldies, but goodies...here is my Blueberry Lemonade Acropora nasuta....

IMG_1807.jpg

Great growth out of that little guy lately. This is the ORA Marshall Island Blue Bottlebrush, home of my acro crab....(He's visible down low and to the left, if ya look real carefully)

IMG_1808.jpg

The Juicycorals Quadricolor Acropora....notice green sheen, pink, through blue to purple...and as a bonus, yellow polyps!

IMG_1813.jpg

It browned out real bad when I got it, but is making a nice recovery...My Rose Acropora millepora is getting just sick with color....

IMG_1816.jpg

An amazing piece...it too was mostly brown for the longest time....Here is the Area 51 Favia....

IMG_1819.jpg

It seems to be growing real well lately too.....This green Acropora is an unknown, also of browned out heritage....

IMG_1824.jpg

That one came from another club member....he's only 15 years old....My Rainbow Montipora is getting shockingly colored up too....

IMG_1801.jpg

There is a small colony starting to spread where it was mounted to the rocks and slid off the bottom of the frag tile.....this last one is a wild Florida SPS that was growing on some aquaculture LR I got a couple years ago....

IMG_1837.jpg

I've seen posts about this coral and most say it is nonphotosynthetic, but I gotta tell you, my nitrates never reach above 0.2, and I've never fed it...and yet it grows and grows....I vote photosynthetic....

Hope y'all enjoyed these new snaps....

Mitch

Mobility is a good thing indeed....I gotta get the AC working soon though....I got off work at 6 PM today and with the windows all down and the blower on HI it got all the way down to 105 in the car by the time I got home!!!!

But...like I said....mobility is good.............

Thanks a bunch Pismo....I just wish I had a picture of it when I got it....it was brick brown on brick brown.....I was told it was Rainbow, but almost didn't believe it at the time.....proof is in the pudding...It's a Rainbow now!!!! It was mounted to my LR until a few weeks ago when I popped it off to cut a frag....now there is a little strip of Rainbow Monti growing where the frag tile was mounted...it had grown all the way around and under the tile.....

IMG_1842.jpg

Sorry about some of these pictures...I am reaching like 10 inches into the tank with my P&S and have real problems locking the focus sometimes....

Here are some other Encrusting Montiporae....

Superman frag.....

IMG_1844.jpg

Where that tile was stuck down....

IMG_1848.jpg

Sunset....

IMG_1845.jpg

Mike Paletta Blue.....pictures just don't do this one justice....

IMG_1846.jpg

Appleberry.....

IMG_1847.jpg

I hope you like these others too.....

Militant Jurist
IMG_1837.jpg

I've seen posts about this coral and most say it is nonphotosynthetic, but I gotta tell you, my nitrates never reach above 0.2, and I've never fed it...and yet it grows and grows....I vote photosynthetic....

I recently got a coral that looks a LOT like that! My LFS said that it came in as a hitchhiker in their shipment, but that it was a coral called cladocora. From what I've been able to read, it is photosynthetic, but that it was strongly suggested to frequently supplement with feedings. I haven't fed mine since I got it, but it still sends out its tentacles every day. I suppose I should feed it tomorrow though...

How long have you had it?

Oh, and I love all of the SPS!

That little one has been with me since May of 2007....I've never fed it, and yet it still survives....Mine too was a hitchhiker, on Florida Aquaculture Live Rock....

Long time Mitch! The tank looks great and the frags are amazing! Let me know if you're looking for someone to keep backup copies of your frags...you know, just in case :D

Archived