inTank Media Baskets

Half Gallon Pico Update

thesmallerthebetter

thesmallerthebetter
uhhh too tired to complain about your insanely overstocked tank.....

lol. overstocked gets thrown around too much latley.....

this in pico reefing....its all overstocked :P

i spose you mean 2 fish in a half gallon.....i cant even find either fish half the time...they have more than enough room in there......

still cant add pics.......is there a mod willing to help me out here?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thesmallerthebetter

ok, heres the pics, i had to set up an online hosting account but here ya go!!!

i hope you enjoy

DSC06704.jpg

DSC06692.jpg

DSC06692.jpg

DSC06694.jpg

DSC06695.jpg

DSC06695.jpg

DSC06698.jpg

DSC06702.jpg

DSC06689.jpg

that's so awesome! i actually set up a second pico last night after my wife's betta died. we used the little beta cubes that have the "designer" backs. dumped enough sand in it to cover the little square in the middle, put on some salt water and finally got to use the stock picotope filter and light.

thanks for the inspiration man (even though i found this after i set it up, you gave me a lot to think about for this tank)

my wife gives you mad props too.

thesmallerthebetter
that's so awesome! i actually set up a second pico last night after my wife's betta died. we used the little beta cubes that have the "designer" backs. dumped enough sand in it to cover the little square in the middle, put on some salt water and finally got to use the stock picotope filter and light.

thanks for the inspiration man (even though i found this after i set it up, you gave me a lot to think about for this tank)

my wife gives you mad props too.

Thanks for the kind words :)

ive always seen those little "designer" betta tanks and hated the guy that designed the little square in the middle. if it wasnt for that thats what this tank would have been :P

glad i could be of some help. my goal was to be able to keep everything i would keep in a real sized reef. like 75 gallons, and i think i have at least partially succeeded. well see how long this little guy holds together, i hope its around for years to come :)

das awesome

OMG! This makes me wanna set up mine again! I have the exact same setup that was up a year ago but everything died when I left my friend in charge while I was away :( I had also had a tiny maxima (only a half inch) and it made it so much cooler looking. Have you ever thought of also adding a clam?

thesmallerthebetter
OMG! This makes me wanna set up mine again! I have the exact same setup that was up a year ago but everything died when I left my friend in charge while I was away :( I had also had a tiny maxima (only a half inch) and it made it so much cooler looking. Have you ever thought of also adding a clam?

:) glad to hear from a like minded pico reefer.

i have thought about adding a clam but i had concerns about calcium uptake and lighting requirements. someday soon im going to upgrade to a 12000k 35W Xenon HID and then i will probably end up getting a clam and designing a little kalk doser.

in other news, i cleaned the tank a bit today and realized how much space my aquascape wasted.....so i completly redid it, i added a few corals too...tommorow when everyone isnt all pissed off ill post an update.

stay tuned

thesmallerthebetter
How often do you do water changes? I did daily 20% water changes and the calcium stayed constant around 500

i TRY and do water changes bi weekly...i shud prolly do them daily, especially with my acros and seratiopora. i have litterally dozens of tank projects going at the same time, sizes varying from 75ml to hundreds of gallons, so this tank sometimes gets lost in the buzz of activity. for example, i was supposed to sand and paint the canopy for my 100 gallon coldwater tank, but i got stuck on trying to figure out why my newest addition to this tank was gaping all day, even after feedings. i decided it was getting way to much flow so i spend 6 hours trying to solve the problem, finally settled on the bottom half of a Listerine bottle to redirect some of the HOB flow. it actually gave me a few more higher flow potential SPS mounting spots (ive been dying to replace some lost deepwater acros and try more birdsnests) as well as solving the flow problem for the aforementioned coral.

needless to say, i didnt update today :( i dont want to ruin the surprise, but the new additions still arnt looking thier best.....maybe tommorow theyll feel more photogenic.....belive me, i want to update this stuff.....

PS: where did all this threads old followers go? its been mostly dead.....

• 3 years later...
gotta love dragging up a 3years dead thread :P

Must be a call for attention because you were not loved as a child.

Jacob042426
most of the stock from them resides in the tanks at work now, the "nor-tech" diy sits in a drawer in my desk waiting to be revived haha.

Archived