Top Shelf Aquatics

Half Gallon Pico Update

thesmallerthebetter

thesmallerthebetter
that shark tank looks kinda small. how big is it?

yea, its TINY for those guys....only a puny 75 gals

theyre just there until the 300 gets repaired (sprung a huge leak, damn glasscages)....then they move back....then they move again one of these days to a pool.

added a clean up crew to the pico today, yanked them right out of the SPS reef

1 Bumblebee snail

1 Astrea Snail

1 Hermit

corals should be going in in a week or two :) im super excited about this project....

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thesmallerthebetter

had some issues this morning

the ATO creates a cohesive path for water to "climb" out of the tank ond over the back, i thought it was just freshwater from the ATO but it turns out that its actually saltwater, and my salinity had been lowering a bit from it :( (1.025 to 1.023 in 2 days)

so i lowered the waterlevel to see if that would help.....(i hope it does), otherwise im gonna have to come up with a more creative ATO mounting solution....

Also, that damn astrea snail poops an arseload....like, 10 litte poop pellets in one night....

any ideas as to a sandbed critter that would keep his little green poopys off my nice black sandbed?

Also, that damn astrea snail poops an arseload....like, 10 litte poop pellets in one night....

any ideas as to a sandbed critter that would keep his little green poopys off my nice black sandbed?

I would get a few nassarius. They stay really little which is perfect for a pico and they stir the sanbed and eat detritus.

Ceriths.

They will go below the surface of the sand eating while stirring it, and will even clean your glass below sand. And their poo is quite small :-)

thesmallerthebetter
I would get a few nassarius. They stay really little which is perfect for a pico and they stir the sanbed and eat detritus.

yea, im tryin one nass (stole my bimac's dinner) and if he doesnt work ill try a cerith (i can collect them locally here from the tidal flood canals by my house).

i fixed the ATO problem :) so im back on schedual for corals next week :)

yea, im tryin one nass (stole my bimac's dinner) and if he doesnt work ill try a cerith (i can collect them locally here from the tidal flood canals by my house).

:o Lucky you. A 1/4" nasarrius runs me like 4 bucks here. Brutal!

thesmallerthebetter
Cool pico, it looks a lot bigger than half a gallon.

Nice sharks and rays as well, What do you feed them?

thanks for the compliements :)

the rays and sharks eat everything from frozen silversides, to market shrimp, to squid or live baits left over from my bluewater trips. they are spoiled :)

as far as the reef goes. i ordered some awsome ricordia yumas that should ship monday :) pics to be uploaded upon arrival

AcroporaLokani
the rays and sharks eat everything from frozen silversides, to market shrimp, to squid or live baits left over from my bluewater trips. they are spoiled :)

For some reason I expected to hear the "jaws" music playing when the sushi asked you what they eat :lol:.

I was always wondering about a nice shark/ray tank but was worried they would only eat feeder shrimp/fish, Was it easy to get them to eat frozen?

And ricordia will look awesome in your pico, It just seems to be the perfect tank for a ricordia "water fall" type thing.

thesmallerthebetter
For some reason I expected to hear the "jaws" music playing when the sushi asked you what they eat :lol:.

I was always wondering about a nice shark/ray tank but was worried they would only eat feeder shrimp/fish, Was it easy to get them to eat frozen?

And ricordia will look awesome in your pico, It just seems to be the perfect tank for a ricordia "water fall" type thing.

the rays were the easiest to get to eat, after just two days of no food they immediatly took food right from my hand. the smoothound was a little trickier as he was afraid of me for so long that if my hand went in the tank he immediatly freaked out. eventually he ate a silverside on a stick that i pretended to make swim away from him :P the catshark ate prepared right out of the bag lol

yea, i hope the rics look good, ima have to cut the rock they are on down to size, but it should end up being awsome :)

EDIT: there was some issues with the heater today, and the tank got above 84 degrees. so tommorow im picking up a timer to run the heater only at lights out, and i think that shud keep the tank a nice 76-78 degrees

AcroporaLokani
the rays were the easiest to get to eat, after just two days of no food they immediatly took food right from my hand. the smoothound was a little trickier as he was afraid of me for so long that if my hand went in the tank he immediatly freaked out. eventually he ate a silverside on a stick that i pretended to make swim away from him :P the catshark ate prepared right out of the bag lol

yea, i hope the rics look good, ima have to cut the rock they are on down to size, but it should end up being awsome :)

EDIT: there was some issues with the heater today, and the tank got above 84 degrees. so tommorow im picking up a timer to run the heater only at lights out, and i think that shud keep the tank a nice 76-78 degrees

That's cool that you can hand feed the rays, I'm tempted to go get a huge tank so I can get a few rays and sharks thanks to your pictures :). I had always figured they would be a pain to get to eat so I never got one when I had my big fish only tank setup, I almost got a baby banded cat shark (fresh out of the egg) from my LFS but they said I would not be able to take care of it and refused to sell it to me (It was $35) it died when they tried to cycle a new tank with it (Last time I ever went to that place!). They claimed that sharks are heartier than damsels. (Yes the people at that LFS are stupid :lol:)

Your rics probably aren't on a big rock if they are from Florida, Collectors aren't supposed to take LR from Florida if I remember correctly. So you're rics probably will fit in your tank nicely.

I wouldn't worry about the 84 degrees, most soft corals can tolerate swings in temperature. But turning the heater off when the lights are on would probably keep it a steadier temperature.

thesmallerthebetter
That's cool that you can hand feed the rays, I'm tempted to go get a huge tank so I can get a few rays and sharks thanks to your pictures :). I had always figured they would be a pain to get to eat so I never got one when I had my big fish only tank setup, I almost got a baby banded cat shark (fresh out of the egg) from my LFS but they said I would not be able to take care of it and refused to sell it to me (It was $35) it died when they tried to cycle a new tank with it (Last time I ever went to that place!). They claimed that sharks are heartier than damsels. (Yes the people at that LFS are stupid :lol:)

Your rics probably aren't on a big rock if they are from Florida, Collectors aren't supposed to take LR from Florida if I remember correctly. So you're rics probably will fit in your tank nicely.

I wouldn't worry about the 84 degrees, most soft corals can tolerate swings in temperature. But turning the heater off when the lights are on would probably keep it a steadier temperature.

i say go for it with the sharks, i love my guys, the freindliest batch of predators around, and mine seem to be rather bulletproof as ive had equipment (and most recently their tank) fail on them and they all pulled through.

you are right about floridas collection laws, but i dont think florida has yumas? im not sure though. they get here tommorow though so well see :) i might end up hitting the fish store circuit tommorow too, as im going to be down in huntington beach and i always pay a visit to all the stores i used to frequent before i moved up to newport. maybe ill find a nice looking aussie hammer coral frag......

yea, the temps might have been fine, but i went ahead and spent the $6 on a timer for the heater, i have it going off at lights on and comming back in 15 min intervals ever 2 hours or so. last night it kept the tank at a nice 75-76 and lights only raised it half a degree or so :)

expect new pics with coral tommorow :)

thesmallerthebetter

corals added :)

FTS:

post-39455-1226548895_thumb.jpg

Hammer:

post-39455-1226548971_thumb.jpg

Ricordea Yuma:

post-39455-1226549089_thumb.jpg

More Yumas and a Haliclona Sponge

post-39455-1226549054_thumb.jpg

Yumas again

post-39455-1226549167_thumb.jpg

different angle on the hammer, my camera sucks

post-39455-1226549194_thumb.jpg

some CUC shots

post-39455-1226549261_thumb.jpg

post-39455-1226549283_thumb.jpg

so there you have it :)

in a week or two im gonna add another wave of corals, really want to find an aussie hammer, some more rics and maybe some claustrea's.

AcroporaLokani
i say go for it with the sharks, i love my guys, the freindliest batch of predators around, and mine seem to be rather bulletproof as ive had equipment (and most recently their tank) fail on them and they all pulled through.

you are right about floridas collection laws, but i dont think florida has yumas? im not sure though. they get here tommorow though so well see :) i might end up hitting the fish store circuit tommorow too, as im going to be down in huntington beach and i always pay a visit to all the stores i used to frequent before i moved up to newport. maybe ill find a nice looking aussie hammer coral frag......

yea, the temps might have been fine, but i went ahead and spent the $6 on a timer for the heater, i have it going off at lights on and comming back in 15 min intervals ever 2 hours or so. last night it kept the tank at a nice 75-76 and lights only raised it half a degree or so :)

expect new pics with coral tommorow :)

Well maybe a nice shark/ray setup for my next tank (I just spent $300 on a bio-cube 29 gallon and already I want to get a new tank :lol:)

I'm not sure about the yumas, I may have to google search that....

That's good you got the temps under control. And for only $6.

Quick question (off topic but I figured I would ask), You said you got a tank from glass cages, Would you recommend tanks from them? Even with it leaking and all....

corals added :)

FTS:

post-39455-1226548895_thumb.jpg

Hammer:

post-39455-1226548971_thumb.jpg

Ricordea Yuma:

post-39455-1226549089_thumb.jpg

More Yumas and a Haliclona Sponge

post-39455-1226549054_thumb.jpg

Yumas again

post-39455-1226549167_thumb.jpg

different angle on the hammer, my camera sucks

post-39455-1226549194_thumb.jpg

some CUC shots

post-39455-1226549261_thumb.jpg

post-39455-1226549283_thumb.jpg

so there you have it :)

in a week or two im gonna add another wave of corals, really want to find an aussie hammer, some more rics and maybe some claustrea's.

Nice corals, especially that hammer. My suggestion is a small pagoda coral I have one and I love it.

thesmallerthebetter

ive had lots of tank from glasscages, most of them run just fine, ive heard of people having them blow out on them, but as far as locating a large glass tank (98181764564 times better than arcrylic imho) they are pretty much the go to guys. i cant recommend anyone else :) my shark tank was the first one i had fail on me, and i think it was more of a fluke than the norm (it was a sealant problem more than the actual tank being faulty). its sorta like oddysea around here, some people sware by them, others curse them under thier breath and dont dare say the "g" word :P i tried to order once though my LFS and refered me not to with language more colorful than the reef itself. but really, i like them, like having the tanks be glass, and the price point is a plus as well.

thanks for the compliments :) if i could find a pagoda frag that would fit id be all over it, as they are in my beloved dendrophyllia family!!!! :P

i got a tip from a little birdie of mine that there is a beautiful 10" coral catshark for $60 aorund the corner from me at a store i dont ussually frequent, so maybe they will have some goodies for my reef as well :)

thesmallerthebetter

went reef shopping today, hit up the Reef Room in dana point, scored a few little monti frags, a orange cap and a red and green polyped encrusting chunk, $5 each. placed them in the tank and both immediatly showed nice polyp extension. i figured at $5 each they wpuld be good feelers to whether or not this set up can support a few simple SPS. pictures up tommorow.

AcroporaLokani
ive had lots of tank from glasscages, most of them run just fine, ive heard of people having them blow out on them, but as far as locating a large glass tank (98181764564 times better than arcrylic imho) they are pretty much the go to guys. i cant recommend anyone else :) my shark tank was the first one i had fail on me, and i think it was more of a fluke than the norm (it was a sealant problem more than the actual tank being faulty). its sorta like oddysea around here, some people sware by them, others curse them under thier breath and dont dare say the "g" word :P i tried to order once though my LFS and refered me not to with language more colorful than the reef itself. but really, i like them, like having the tanks be glass, and the price point is a plus as well.

thanks for the compliments :) if i could find a pagoda frag that would fit id be all over it, as they are in my beloved dendrophyllia family!!!! :P

i got a tip from a little birdie of mine that there is a beautiful 10" coral catshark for $60 aorund the corner from me at a store i dont ussually frequent, so maybe they will have some goodies for my reef as well :)

Thanks for the info about glass cages.

Yea I have never seen a pagoda frag in a LFS (I had to order mine and every single coral I ordered was the wrong thing except the pagoda). But it is just the heartiest coral.

The shark sounds cool, And $60 seems reasonable for a hatched shark.

went reef shopping today, hit up the Reef Room in dana point, scored a few little monti frags, a orange cap and a red and green polyped encrusting chunk, $5 each. placed them in the tank and both immediatly showed nice polyp extension. i figured at $5 each they wpuld be good feelers to whether or not this set up can support a few simple SPS. pictures up tommorow.

Cool SPS pico! I wish I could find SPS frags for $5, The cheapest I have ever seen them in a LFS is $25 and about $8 for online fish stores. And montipora is so hearty you should have no problem, You should look in to pocillopora as well (They grow like weeds).

Once in my tank for about a week the temp shifted from 81F to 68F at night and the monti/pocilli opened up every morning like they always had before with no problems at all. Just make sure to keep the calcium/ALK up in your tank (With how small your tank is you could probably just keep it up with water changes rather than trying to figure out how much to put in when dosing).

Can't wait to see the pics.

thesmallerthebetter
Thanks for the info about glass cages.

Yea I have never seen a pagoda frag in a LFS (I had to order mine and every single coral I ordered was the wrong thing except the pagoda). But it is just the heartiest coral.

The shark sounds cool, And $60 seems reasonable for a hatched shark.

Cool SPS pico! I wish I could find SPS frags for $5, The cheapest I have ever seen them in a LFS is $25 and about $8 for online fish stores. And montipora is so hearty you should have no problem, You should look in to pocillopora as well (They grow like weeds).

Once in my tank for about a week the temp shifted from 81F to 68F at night and the monti/pocilli opened up every morning like they always had before with no problems at all. Just make sure to keep the calcium/ALK up in your tank (With how small your tank is you could probably just keep it up with water changes rather than trying to figure out how much to put in when dosing).

Can't wait to see the pics.

sorry i flaked out on the pics!!! :(

i had some things come up (poker game, work, more work, tank crash in another system)

didnt get the shark (totally covered in fleas, easy fix, 15 minutes in freshwater, but i didnt want to risk it), but i got something else that youll see in the pics :P

ill probably end up getting a cup coral and fragging off a nice piece for my tank and sharing the rest with one of the other reefs....

i gott a duncan, aussie hammer (finally!), and a few other guys you can see in the pics :) i had to remove the Blue sponge tho, i had a bubble problem with the filter (sucked up some sand and had alot of start/stop going on) and it got covered in bubbles, and u know what happens next.

also replaced my astrea and hermit with 2 ceriths (worried about hermit molts causing crashes, and the astrea was too big)

so, heres the promised the pictures, late but hey, better than never.

AWSOME photosynthetic Gorgonian (silver and blue, already regrew where it was cut fom the mother colony) my knwoledge of the family leads me to belive either Murciea (silver gorgs) or Eucinea (other silver gorgs lol), i thought maybe Guiagorgia (non-photo) but the healing ruled that out (free, know the shop owner)

post-39455-1227347011_thumb.jpg

Duncan Frag (double deep discount, $15)

post-39455-1227347031_thumb.jpg

Aussie hammer (pic makes it look bleached, but its really a wicked pink color in person)

post-39455-1227347120_thumb.jpg

Brown and Green Fungia (like 1/4" blurry pic) $5

post-39455-1227347175_thumb.jpg

Red Monti from above ($5)

post-39455-1227347271_thumb.jpg

Cool Chalice ($15)

post-39455-1227347289_thumb.jpg

Encrusting Monti, green polyps,red base ($5)

post-39455-1227347352_thumb.jpg

Another shot of the Chalice and Monti

post-39455-1227347544_thumb.jpg

My little Cubicus Boxfish :eek: (eats like 2 particles of cyclopeze every morning and pods and algea the rest of the day), favorite thing about the tank. i figure when he doubles in size ,hes smaller than a kix cereal ball right now, he can move to another tank and ill replace him with a trimma goby or something, but for now, the tank is huge for him, no noticable impact on the params :wub:

post-39455-1227347495_thumb.jpg

FTS with the Box's Cyclopeze on the side for size comparison

post-39455-1227347411_thumb.jpg

OK, flame away about the fish in half gallon :P

another update next week (hopefully)

that boxfish is sick and so tiny. awesome tank man. looks bigger than it actually is. that gorg looks pretty big for the tank tho, looks like another inch and its out of the water. coming along nicely

thesmallerthebetter
that boxfish is sick and so tiny. awesome tank man. looks bigger than it actually is. that gorg looks pretty big for the tank tho, looks like another inch and its out of the water. coming along nicely

yea, the gorg is actually like 1mm from the surface. im hoping this way it will grow branching rather than up......i guess i could cut it down a few cm's at the base....lol.

thanks for the compliments :)

AcroporaLokani

:o That box fish is SWEET! Its like a little cork kernel or something. Just make sure the filter does not suck him up because of his corn kernel goodness :lol:

And those corals look nice, great polyp extension on the SPS and I have never seen a fungi that small (But its perfect for your tank).

I forgot, what lighting do you have 9W PC?

To bad about the shark, And sorry to hear about the tank crash.

thesmallerthebetter
:o That box fish is SWEET! Its like a little cork kernel or something. Just make sure the filter does not suck him up because of his corn kernel goodness :lol:

And those corals look nice, great polyp extension on the SPS and I have never seen a fungi that small (But its perfect for your tank).

I forgot, what lighting do you have 9W PC?

To bad about the shark, And sorry to hear about the tank crash.

hehe, yea i was worried about the filter too so i tossed a pile of rock in front of the intake to avoid that catastrophe.

the sps seem to be doing good, still hesitant to try any more vibrant monti's though....i want a purple and green cap in there, and maybe some blue encruster eventually.

yea, its 9w of PC, its the picotope stock lighting, but over this tank its quite a bit :)

as always, thanks for the comments :)

thesmallerthebetter

well, i got in a last minute (literally, transaction complete at 11:58pm eastern time) at Mr.Coral.com from my hotel here in maryland, couldnt pass up the opportunity to get some more acans for 50% off, they go for $20 a head in a minimum of 5 heads back home. they should look good in this pico after some fragging of the frags :P ill get pics up next weekend when i get back (tank watchers are going to put them in the SPS tank while im away, and then ill frag them down when i get back)

it was really the free duncans that i did it for :P

anyone wanna trade something for like 2-4 heads of green aussie acan? hehe

got some more fancy SPS too.....

AcroporaLokani
well, i got in a last minute (literally, transaction complete at 11:58pm eastern time) at Mr.Coral.com from my hotel here in maryland, couldnt pass up the opportunity to get some more acans for 50% off, they go for $20 a head in a minimum of 5 heads back home. they should look good in this pico after some fragging of the frags :P ill get pics up next weekend when i get back (tank watchers are going to put them in the SPS tank while im away, and then ill frag them down when i get back)

it was really the free duncans that i did it for :P

anyone wanna trade something for like 2-4 heads of green aussie acan? hehe

got some more fancy SPS too.....

Sounds like a good deal, Can't wait to see the new corals in the tank. How's little corn kernel doing? :lol:

Archived