Pod Your Reef

Mavjoy's RSM new beginning...PICS!

mavjoy

what do you mean about taking out the surface skimmer grill? It should just pop right in if you put it in the right way.

I think it wasn't going right the first time 'cause the hood was not all the way open. I took out the surface skimmer anyways. It's in there nicely now. All is good in my RSM's neighborhood. Thanks again StevieT.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally put one snail today from my 10 gallon tank and it started eating my algae :) . I'm gonna wait 'til tomorrow then I'll be getting my whole CUC. Here are some pics:

10292008647.jpg

10292008648.jpg

10292008649.jpg

shot of my fuge

10282008646.jpg

Beautiful aquascaping!

Thanks Mano. I was lucky that my LFS had all these different types of LR. I really searched top and bottom from their drums of LR LOL :D . Your tank is coming along nicely too.

Look at my snail go...hehe...He's still alive since I put him there last night. Time to get my full team of CUC :) .

10302008650.jpg

I finally installed my R2 moonlights. I put some electrical tape between the fixture and the power plug so no salt creep could get inside :) .

10302008651.jpg

10302008652.jpg

10302008653.jpg

I haven't turn it on yet 'til later tonight. I'll post more pics when its on. Off to my LFS for the CUC.

I took some night shots to show how the R2 Moonlights fair to other moonlights. I really like the look and the shimmer of the lights. It looks much better in person. Here are some pics...enjoy!

10302008655.jpg

10302008656.jpg

10302008657.jpg

I finally got my CUC today. I have 13 total of snails but I didn't add any crabs or shrimp :) . How many hermit crabs should I add? Here is a pic of the CUC in action.

10312008661.jpg

hide your temp probe in the rear chamber

WOw, that is a lot of snails, much too many as they will be compeating for food which means some will die. Especailly after the algae is gone off the rocks.

I would sick with just a few crabs 2-4 tops, they can be mean and fight with themselves and the snails.

hide your temp probe in the rear chamber

WOw, that is a lot of snails, much too many as they will be compeating for food which means some will die. Especailly after the algae is gone off the rocks.

I would sick with just a few crabs 2-4 tops, they can be mean and fight with themselves and the snails.

LOL. The temp probe is there temporarily for now. I got a new heater and making sure it's working and reading accurately with the probe. I'll get 3 hermits then. Thanks StevieT.

sorry, i notice small stuff like that :)

No problem man, I just did a KH test just now and I got 7-8 kh according to Elos test kit. Is this good? My temp right now is 78 and ph is 8.2. I still haven't gotten a MG and Phosphate kits yet, 'cause I don't have any LS yet besides the snails. Are Elos test kits any good? Thanks.

Here are the new inhabitants of my tank. Giant shrooms and a duncan. I'm still not done moving my other corals from my 10 gallon. I'll be updating my pics whenever I move some new stuff.

11022008690.jpg

11022008689.jpg

11022008693.jpg

11022008691.jpg

FTS:

11022008688.jpg

I moved some corals from my 10 gal. and here are some pics:

11022008694.jpg

11022008695.jpg

11022008696.jpg

11022008697.jpg

I wanted to enter this pic of my blue xenia on the monthly pic contest but can't seem to access the link :( .

My diatoms are still there but my CUC are doing their job. I still have to move the rest of my corals and my one and only fish-maroon clown. What other fish can I have with my maroon clown? Planning on having 3-4 fish max. Thanks.

I moved some corals from my 10 gal. and here are some pics:

I wanted to enter this pic of my blue xenia on the monthly pic contest but can't seem to access the link :( .

My diatoms are still there but my CUC are doing their job. I still have to move the rest of my corals and my one and only fish-maroon clown. What other fish can I have with my maroon clown? Planning on having 3-4 fish max. Thanks.

The corals look happy in the new tank :D

A far as the diatoms go, Ours went away of their own accord. They practically disappeared overnight and would grow back during the day. They just grew back less and less until they were gone. I suppose pods ate it.

I can't help with the contest as I haven't tried that. Yet. We have some pink pulsing Xenia so I could submit something. I could show you what I'd plan to submit, but then I'd have to kill you. ;)

IDK what would go well with a maroon clown. Weren't you going to trade that for something more appropriate for your tank? We have a pair of clowns with a green chromis and purple firefish and they all get along well. I understand that Maroons get meaner as they get larger, but I don't know what they're like when small.

-hank

The corals look happy in the new tank :D

A far as the diatoms go, Ours went away of their own accord. They practically disappeared overnight and would grow back during the day. They just grew back less and less until they were gone. I suppose pods ate it.

I can't help with the contest as I haven't tried that. Yet. We have some pink pulsing Xenia so I could submit something. I could show you what I'd plan to submit, but then I'd have to kill you. ;)

IDK what would go well with a maroon clown. Weren't you going to trade that for something more appropriate for your tank? We have a pair of clowns with a green chromis and purple firefish and they all get along well. I understand that Maroons get meaner as they get larger, but I don't know what they're like when small.

-hank

hankb- yeah, all the corals opened up right away within a few hrs it was transferred :) . I've noticed a lot of pods crawling on my DT glass and the fuge. Diatoms presence are getting less and less as each day passes by. Let me know how to post pic for the Xenia contest as soon as you figure it out. Thanks.

I really want to keep the maroon clown but I'm worried about of not getting along with other fish I have in mind. Like for instance, I wanna get a 6 line wrasse, clown goby and another goby to stir my sandbed. Anyways, your tank looks great and your pics are sick..hehe...I just use my cellphone for my pics at the moment. I'll post more pics later when I moved some of my other corals.

I finally added the bulk of my corals from my 10 gallon but I'm still not done yet. I still have to move my blue xenia, 5 headed frogspawn, red favia, GSP, a small frag of brown acro(not sure the name) and my maroon clown :) . I took a lot of pics and here it is:

My tree LR with branches of LPS..hehe

11042008723.jpg

11042008724.jpg

another angle

11042008726.jpg

my pagoda

11042008727.jpg

starting to open

11042008729.jpg

11042008730.jpg

pagoda and blasto

11042008731.jpg

FTS

11042008732.jpg

Hope you guys like it. I put too much glue n putty on the frogspawn..such a noob :) . I'm gonna finish up moving the rest later tonite and post more pics tomorrow. I guess its time to feed them. Is dry cyclo and DT's good?

... Hope you guys like it. I put too much glue n putty on the frogspawn..such a noob :) . I'm gonna finish up moving the rest later tonite and post more pics tomorrow. I guess its time to feed them. Is dry cyclo and DT's good?

You have some nice healthy looking corals there. It looks like 10g worth of corals spread over 34g :haha: But that's where most of us start. It takes time to build a collection and have it grow into place.

I think if someone made a 2-part epoxy that was dark grey or even coralline colored they probably could sell it for a lot more than I pay for the Aquamend. That stuff really shows up and I too have found that a little goes a long long way. ;) I wish coralline would grow as fast on that stuff as it does on plastic.

I feed our LPS mysis and Rod's carnivore formula. Sometimes I squirt the cloudy water from the rods at stuff like leathers and SPS and small zoas thinking they might capture some, but I don't really know. For the most part, these corals don't need much food as long as you have adequate lighting. I just get a kick out of seeing them eat. Our open brain ate a 1" krill the other day! I also have coral frenzy and cyclop-eze that I sometimes feed. Both are very fine and I target feed both, though enough probably gets loose in the water column to feed everyone who can catch it.

I understand your desire to keep the Maroon. I think they're one of the most beautiful fish. I'm thinking about converting a 55g to saltwater so I could keep a pair, but right now I want to focus on our RSM (Cindy's tank) and my 10g, so that;s little more than an idle thought.

best,

hank

Hello there Hank,

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, I have a lot of corals all packed in my 10 gallon..hehe..I'm still not done yet and some of my zoos are going back to my LFS, decided not to keep them anymore :( . Anyways, I need to increase my photo period from 10 hrs to 12 hrs then. I also got soo much pods on my 10 gallon and thinking of catching them and putting them on the new tank. They look like small shrimp swimming around the sides of the tank and rock. Thanks for all the suggestions Hank. 'Til next time.

Mavjoy

I finally moved all my corals to my RSM and they are all doing good :) . I was worried about my blue xenia but its already open :) . My 10 gallon looks so bare right now :( . It's just LR, LS, maroon clown, pepp shrimp and bunch of pods. Anyways, here are some updated pics of all my corals:

right side view

11052008736.jpg

left side view

11052008737.jpg

FTS

11052008738.jpg

and my 10 gallon tank...sigh! :).

11052008739.jpg

I've also checked my water before I transferred the rest of my corals today and everything is A ok. I want to do a WC but everything is cool. I guess I'll wait 'til the end of the week. I want to get a Monti today, any suggestions? Something easy with nice color.

Some random shots of my RSM...finally moved everything from my 10 gal... one fish and all..lol

11062008770.jpg

11062008769.jpg

bonsai tree

11062008765.jpg

11062008764.jpg

My blue xenia

11062008761.jpg

FTS

11062008760.jpg

maroon clown

11062008755.jpg

11062008754.jpg

11052008748.jpg

11052008747.jpg

11052008745.jpg

11052008743.jpg

That's all folks! Hope you guys like it. :) .

Hi guys, here are some updated pics of my tank..plus my shroom shriveled up today..hehe..it looks cool :) .

11072008782.jpg

11072008779.jpg

11072008780.jpg

11082008787.jpg

11082008788.jpg

I also traded my excess LR today for this purple polyp coral..I don't know the name but it looks nice..I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it. It looks like small purple flowers covering the base.

This is all very informative. Can you guys point me to a "dummy" guide for setting one of these up with any mods that need to be made? Is the 130D a better buy?

Thanks,

montagma

This is all very informative. Can you guys point me to a "dummy" guide for setting one of these up with any mods that need to be made? Is the 130D a better buy?

Thanks,

montagma

The thread it seems almost every RSM owner refers to for help is StevieT's thread. He has posted earlier in this thread, link to his 'experience' thread in his signature will work.

Also, many other users of varying skill levels have set up RSM tanks. You can find links to their tank threads in their sigs as well.

Generally, the thought is the 130D may offer some improvements, but the key items people prefer to mod/upgrade are the same - skimmer, media rack, extra koralia for flow, etc. But since the 130D hasn't shown up on US shores yet, hard to say for sure.

Good luck!

Good luck

The thread it seems almost every RSM owner refers to for help is StevieT's thread. He has posted earlier in this thread, link to his 'experience' thread in his signature will work.

Also, many other users of varying skill levels have set up RSM tanks. You can find links to their tank threads in their sigs as well.

Generally, the thought is the 130D may offer some improvements, but the key items people prefer to mod/upgrade are the same - skimmer, media rack, extra koralia for flow, etc. But since the 130D hasn't shown up on US shores yet, hard to say for sure.

Good luck!

Good luck

+111 for mrnugget...the 130D IMO is better in terms of better surface skimming and such but I haven't seen it in action yet. Check StevieT's thread for further info about mods about this tank.

Archived