Cultivated Reef

AcroporaLokani's 12 Gallon Aquapod

AcroporaLokani

AcroporaLokani

Ok so after I moved I decided to take down my frag tank (Link In Sig) and try for a nice display tank. I had two 12 gal aquapods sitting around.

I got 30 pounds of dry rock and 5 pounds of actual live rock, I also got a new bag of sand so the water would not look like milk from all the gunk in the old sand. All the water was fully cycled from my frag tank.

I originally tried lighting the tank with a Solar Tube (A form of sky light that is sometimes used for tanks, Its basically a polished metal tube that goes up through the ceiling and can bring the natural sun light to the tank) But it did not bring enough light in to the tank.

Filters.....

Chamber one biocube skimmer and two bags of carbon.

Chamber two refugium with cheato.

Chamber three LR rubble and remora skimmer pump.

Chamber four return pump, skimmer out flow and thermometer censor.

The 100 watt heater is inside of the skimmer, It fits perfectly in the out flow chamber.

The biocube skimmer is not the best but I don't have any fish so it may just be that there is no waist in the water for it to work. I may end up taking it back to the LFS and getting my money back.

The only thing in the tank besides coral are three hermit crabs and one snail that came off of the 5 pounds of LR.

A crappy FTS, I'll update with more pics when I find my camera.

514de3.jpg

gulfsurfer101

Everything looks really tight in there but it looks like it will do nicely once you get your stuff situated. I can see lots of possiblities from that rockwork. Goodluck.

AcroporaLokani

Thanks, Yea the rocks are crammed in the tank, I just loved the way the rocks looked when I was stacking them and luckily they just barely fit in. I think I am going for a zoa tank with this one. But I just saw a great deal at my LFS for ALO tanks so I may get a bigger one so I can keep the rock work but have more room to clean the glass and have a bigger sand bed.

gulfsurfer101

I would opt for a bigger tank since I can never get inbetween the rock to clean the glass in my 12g AP. I will either get things put into my AP24 very soon or just add a sump to my existing tank and drop some rock in there to clear out room. These little tanks make awsome zoa huts so yours whould look killer with that rock work.

AcroporaLokani

Coral Pictures. All pics are taken without flash and the corals are under 14K MH lighting and an actinic blue T5.

greencandycanett9.jpg

fireandicezoaty8.jpg

greenstarpolypme5.jpg

scrollcoraltg3.jpg

pinkzoa2fr6.jpg

polypfv4.jpg

orangemontilv3.jpg

An actinic only shot of my brain coral.

braincoralsw5.jpg

Not the best pics but you get the idea.

AcroporaLokani
I am sure this tank will look great in a few months

Thanks!

It looks like you have some nice corals, but where's the FTS?

Not now...... There's an algae outbreak and I have to take the time to clean the glass fully instead of just parts, I also have to clean the sand before a FTS.

• 2 weeks later...
AcroporaLokani
Cool tank, I like your rockscaping. Nice corals also.

Thanks Sushi, Unfortunately I took this tank down yesterday (I upgraded and got a bio-cube 29 gallon). It looks less cramped and I can easily clean the glass (In this tank the rock were just to close to the glass for the mag float to reach, my fault for trying to cram thirty five LBS of rock in this tank).

So sorry to say but....

The End To this tank that is.....

• 2 months later...
JAGarciaOfTroy

Hey can you give a little more info on your lighting setup...

I have the same tank and am running a 150w MH and am concerned that it will be overkill for the tank. So far i have no heating issues and am satisfied but am nervous.

Archived