SaltCritters.com

Firefish Goby (Dartfish) Habits

aznt1217

Hello Everybody,

I just bought my Firefish Goby about 2 days ago. The first day he was out and about. I built him a little cave in the corner, but he ended up taking the big cave and sharing it with my Yellowheaded Jawfish (Who is still shy but is coming along).

Anyway, during normal hours of the day, this firefish doesn't seem to come out. He just stays in the back. He came out to eat VERY SMALL Flakes at night when I got home... but then he just went back into his hole. Do I have to spot feed him? I heard they are extremely hardy fish and although they have these weird habits I am wondering how long do they last for?

Just incase I have ordered cyclopeeze. I feed my tank a variety of food (Mixed Flakes, Sinking Pellets, and Frozen Mysis-- for the jawfish).

My water parameters must be fine the other fish are just fine and if anything my corals would go first.

Here is a picture of him... the clown gets along really nicely with my Bi Color Blenny and the Firefish

Fire.jpg

gulfsurfer101

Those things are hiders at first. I had one along with a purple firefish that liked to hide behind my rockworks all the time till my sunpod went out. I had a clown goby I never saw for three months and will never spend five bucks on another one. The one that I had the most luck with was the purple dottyback suedochromis. That things wasn't shy at all.

No need to spot feed. Mine eats flake, cyclopeeze, frozen food,etc. It wont eat pellets that already hit the sand.

They're easy to please.

Mine is always out and about. He tends to stick to one side of the tank. The minute the lights are out though, he goes and hides. And then when the lights come back on, hes back out and about. He will anything I feed him. I feed pellet and flake one day, and frozen the next. He wont eat the food though if it hits the sand or rocks. It has to be suspended in the water column. They are pretty jumpy fish and will dart into hiding if startled.

LIke some have mentioned just give the fish some time to feel secure, they usually eat anything not picky eaters at all. Once he feels secure he will hover around his dart hole.

LIke some have mentioned just give the fish some time to feel secure, they usually eat anything not picky eaters at all. Once he feels secure he will hover around his dart hole.

Yes! He's out right now. I guess he's out during the day (I don't get home till 9 PM. He ate some of the veggie flakes, usually the stuff that floats at the top. Thanks for the reassurance guys!

I picked one up 2 days ago. It went surfing but was still reluctant and shy. I tried feeding flakes and it would nibble a bit. However today, its appetite seems to be better. She is the only fish in the tank.

If something is scaring it, it will dart. But give time, and the only thing that brings them in/out the cave will be light. When light is on, they'll come out, if off, they'll go back. =)

Archived