Top Shelf Aquatics

Need hitch hiker crab id (red eyes)

SmittyCoco

I have pictures , but can't curently post them. So a descript will have to do. I have two crabs that look very similar to an emerald crab (shape wise) , but yet are brown with the most prominent red eyes. Anyone know wht they could be without pics?

BustytheSnowMaam

Let me warn you, before you try to definitively ID it, there are literally tens of thousands of species of crabs, and many look similar.

Sometimes LFS will put emeralds and sally lightfoots on their LR to eat algae while it's waiting to be sold. If it has hairy legs, it could be an emerald-which is usually a good guy. Their carapace can be various shades of green or brown. I'd just keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't seem to bother anything, leave it be.

Well thanks for the reply. I really need to get a picture on here. If anyone can chime in good or bad I would appreciate it.

The Propagator

If its got red eyes it isn't an emerald, porcelain, sally light foot or any common passive reef safe crab I've seen in the hobby for sure.

Is this what the your crab looks like?

DSCN1431.jpg

If so, he's not going to be a nice fellow. Mine came with my live rock. When I first saw him he was the size of dime but over a year grew to the size of a half dollar before I decided to catch him. Mine never hurt anything in my tank so I didn't kill him I just found a bigger home for him. But, from what I've read they will kill whatever they can catch when they get bigger. Also they will bore wholes in your live rock, weakening them considerably.

Archived