Pod Your Reef

SPS Experts - HELP

masterbuilder

masterbuilder

Thinking about some SPS in my 30G Finnex. I have lots of LPS (acans/blasto) on the bottom, Palys and Zoas in the middle and have pretty much left the top empty for the possibility of some SPS. I have no problem keeping LPS and softies healthy and happy.

What I would like to have is Montipora Digitata or distant second choice is Birdsnest. I have more than enough light, so that’s not the problem. The problem is I don’t have a skimmer and can’t/won’t. For a non-skimmer tank I have a fairly low nutrient system. I will happily fall back to plan B (no SPS) if they wont maintain their color or thrive (not just live). So …you SPS experts…what’s the outlook for healthy, happy, COLORFUL Montipora Digitata in my setup?

Thanks Reefers,

Mark

I don't run a skimmer and it is not required for SPS...I keep great corals and they have been growing and look great...its light that is important...

Thinking about some SPS in my 30G Finnex. I have lots of LPS (acans/blasto) on the bottom, Palys and Zoas in the middle and have pretty much left the top empty for the possibility of some SPS. I have no problem keeping LPS and softies healthy and happy.

What I would like to have is Montipora Digitata or distant second choice is Birdsnest. I have more than enough light, so that’s not the problem. The problem is I don’t have a skimmer and can’t/won’t. For a non-skimmer tank I have a fairly low nutrient system. I will happily fall back to plan B (no SPS) if they wont maintain their color or thrive (not just live). So …you SPS experts…what’s the outlook for healthy, happy, COLORFUL Montipora Digitata in my setup?

Thanks Reefers,

Mark

Well I remember reading a thread on here about someone that had a HUGE sps frag tank (over on RC) and they ran it with high nutrients like 20-30ppm of nitrates, and they looked amazing. So obviously it can be done. I say go for it ! :D

Your choices for SPS are two of the best for skimmerless systems. Pocillopora could also be a possibility. Montipora capricornis is also great.

Montipora digi is probably the hardest out of those to keep happy. Cap is easy and so is birdsnest IMO.

You tank is more than ready for some SPS, and some stomatellas! ;)

Don't need a skimmer. Just stay on top of 10% water changes weekly. Go for SPS.

I don't really like these blanket statements.

Water change amount and frequency will depend on your bioload and feeding habits.

I don't really like these blanket statements.

Water change amount and frequency will depend on your bioload and feeding habits.

Yep, agreed there. l also agree on the Bird's Nest. I got mine and just plunked it in the tank. I have not had to do anything "special" to get it to grow well.

Yep, agreed there. l also agree on the Bird's Nest. I got mine and just plunked it in the tank. I have not had to do anything "special" to get it to grow well.

The birdsnest and green slimmer are the SPS equivalent of "GSP" :D

The birdsnest and green slimmer are the SPS equivalent of "GSP" :D

And frags sell for much more, which is why they are awesssome. :lol:

Get a small frag of something hardy, place it in a spot high in the tank with good flow, and wait a month.

If it is growing and maintaining color, move on to something a little more delicate.

Really, the only true way to tell if a system is ready for SPS is to try. Just don't go nuts and get several colonies right off the bat.

Keep track of your alkalinity, magnesium, and calcium. Make sure they stay between 8-10, 1250-1450, and 420-450. Think something like regular water changes with good quality water and/or supplements like B-Ionic and ECS Magnesium.

Keep track of your phosphates and nitrates and make sure they stay at or as close to zero as possible. Think less feeding and regular water changes as appropriate.

Once everything is staying stable and in the above ranges add a piece of something like a Milipora or Acropora with the understanding that you may end up killing it. If it handles things ok then move on to something more difficult like a Montipora.

Birdsnest's are fine too as starter SPS but realize that they grow like bloody weeds and will suck your tank dry of Ca et al.

Oh and when SDT, Prop, or SPS say something pay attention. They are, in my book, the 'experts'.

masterbuilder

Ok...thanks everyone for your input. I test often, never miss my weekly 20% water change and keep my levels at what has been recommended. So...now I guess it time to make a decision on which way I want my tank to go.

Thanks again reefers,

Mark

p.s. I do listen to what those guys say.

p.s. I do listen to what those guys say.

"Guys"!? -_- ...... :P

Your ready, I know you will do just fine, probably better than most. Your new tank looks awesome BTW, great job on the aquascape and the foam!

Oh and when SDT, Prop, or SPS say something pay attention. They are, in my book, the 'experts'.

Hear that, SDT? You're a ####in' Icon! lol.

Hey SDT...I wasnt refering to you. You are in a different class all together.

Mark

p.s. is that sucking up enough?

lol. believe me, she doesn't need the sucking up. she strokes her own ego enough as it is. :P

Get a small frag of something hardy, place it in a spot high in the tank with good flow, and wait a month.

If it is growing and maintaining color, move on to something a little more delicate.

Really, the only true way to tell if a system is ready for SPS is to try. Just don't go nuts and get several colonies right off the bat.

+1...a BIG 1....

Only trying it will REALLY tell you if it will work out....Skimmers are sweet, and with the SPS load I have, along with my crappy water change habits there is no way....but if you stay on top of your system they should thrive.

The Propagator

:haha: "experts" :haha:

Thank you ! I am flattered but all I have done is read, and a lot of trial and error just like the rest of you. I am definitely no expert, self proclaimed or otherwise. In my book there really are no experts. The hobby is to vast. We may be able to master our own tanks but there is no way to be the master of all. What information I give, while i may work for me, may not work for the person I am giving the information to. I learn from you guys as much as you learn from me.

:)

But thank you for the ego boost :D ( my wife is cringing at the thought of me strutting around the house now btw :haha: )

i had an orange monti digi growing well in a 10g clown tank with no skimmer and 96w quad light. so think it is just a matter of getting some cheap frags at swap and trying it out.

Archived