ReefCleaners.org

Super Ghetto Frag System

yardboy

While the frag tank isn't as fully covered with corraline as it used to be, the reason is a combination of expanding coral populations, urchin munching, and poor maintenance of calcium and alkalinity levels.

The pic above is in a recent addition to the whole ghetto frag system, where I put another tank (a rubbermaid storage bin) on the sump with the ghetto frag tank, to make the whole system practically third world ghetto! The urchin lived in the refugium (a salvaged 20H) but moved to the rubbermaid when the algae began growing on the sides.

I'll try and get a shot of it tomorrow morning to show how it all goes together.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took some pics this morning, but then got sidetracked on my contest tank.

I've never been a big zoanthid collector. I have about 7 that have done well for me over the years, and all the rest are just lame. Not to say they aren't pretty, they just don't like my systems. And the real exptic ones are just too expensive for me to watch them languish. I'll get them up soon.

orangewithgreenskirts.jpg

orangeeyes.jpg

anassortment.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Have.......uncontrollable.........urge.........to...........send Weetie...........zoanthid.............frag.........

I wonder if she has frag of long green-tentacled Sarco?

Awesome bucket tank. I actually like the look of it! Not display worthy for the guests I suppose but awesome!

One thing to watch for. I used to use these food grade buckets for freshwater rearing(inverts,snails, fish I didn't need to fish out) and it used to get horrible slimy sides very fast even with constant cleaning. Never hurt anything though- and obviously fw is very different from sw.

I have an electrician friend who said to me recently a lot of companies throw out MHs, he's on the lookout for what I need/want/might never use in the meantime lol. Such a great idea getting it from the car lot. I mean, they were throwing em out anyways! I hope you grabbed more than one ;)

as far as the clown, we got two "percula" tank bred clowns from two different places. They never saw a nem for sure. I can't tell if one or both are really percs or not. But we later added a BTA(purpley rose base, green tentacles, pink tips) and they both took to the nem within 24-48 hrs. It was amazing.

Keep up with the cool DIYs!!

Thanks Neya.

Timely information. The barrel has never had a problem with cyano, though it grows corraline fster than anything I've ever seen, but the Sterilite storage container I temporarily hooked up to the system to hold the anemones while I reworked their tank has been a constant source of aggrevation. I cleaned the whole system, removing rocks from the sump and cleaning the detritus out of the bottom, removing every single coral from the tank and vacuuming the sand and scrubbing the cyano off the racks, major water change, and the only place the cyano grows is on the walls of that sterilite container. Didn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that the plastic was the likely culprit, but good to hear someone else with the same experience.

A little scraping and bending and spraypainting and it was "good enough for ghetto work".

paintingthelighthood2.jpg

Nothing says ghetto and class quite like a camaro parked on the lawn ha ha ha. It even has a few nice foot long weeds growing around the wheels :lol:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's been some questions about my Ghetto frag system lately, thought I better update.

The system has worked very well for me, and was certainly cheap to build, but it was kinda wide for the room it was sitting in, plus a bit small. I began adding to it, first a half barrel sump, then a left over tank for refugium, and finally a sterilite container for another frag tank, experimenting with the acrylic frag setup published in Reef Hobbyist magazine.

It got a bit too complex and I had several overflows of water from the sterilite container, which damaged the sheetrock wall next to the system. Wanting to simplify, repair the wall and get possibly a narrower setup, a friend offered me, for free, this huge frag tank! It's 96"X14"by 12" high, around 50 gallons.

fullsideview.jpg

It's actually 2 tanks sharing an overflow, with 3 (soon to be 4) overflows, so I can tap seperate overflows and direct them to the sump, refugium and another frag tank below the big one, reducing the pump needs. It's acrylic, somewhat scratched, but no problem since it's a frag tank. I've got one side cycling with water from the ghetto system now.

angledsideview.jpg

I'm going to try a light rail with a 250W 12K MH on the track, trying to reduce my electrical load. I'm waiting on it's arrival now. If it takes too long a light cycle, I may shorten up the track and use LED's at the ends.

Here's a shot of one of the racks for my acrylic system.

acrylicfragsystem.jpg

As I dismantle the old system and transfer it, I'll show pics of how well the acrylic works. There are some eggcrate racks I'll still use, as several different monti's are grown onto them, source for frags. After the transfer, I'll repair the wall then move the new system into the olds place, hopefully with as much success as the ghetto system.

Thanks to everyone who expressed their like of the ghetto frag system. It served me very well and I'm glad you enjoyed seeing it at work.

I'm very excited about it. I think it will work as well on a bigger scale as the ghetto system.

I've got my first test frags in place. The Pocillipora had been in the ghetto system for a month, and has encrusted the acrylic plug, the monti cap and digitata were freshly mounted. We'll see how they do for a week or so then start moving other stuff in

Testfrags.jpg

Archived