Top Shelf Aquatics

Super Ghetto Frag System

yardboy

I've totally filled up all my frag tanks, but find a need for "just one more" temporarily to hold some stuff from a 70 gallon tank takedown I've done. Not wanting to commit any real money to the project, until the frags are ready to go, I decided to try and "make do" with what I could scrounge.

So what does a frag system consist of?

Tank - I have access to some 55 gallon plastic drums. I've used them for fresh water and salt water reservoirs on my water treatment plant, as sumps for liverock and refugium systems, and after seeing dtfleming's tub, realized I could make a shallow "tub" out of a barrel.

Stand - I am such a terrible scavenger, I really embarass my wife. If I see a 2X4 on the side of the road, I stop and get it. Neighbors moving and don't want to carry a bunch of scrap lumber, I'll dumpster dive for it! So all the wood for the stand was free, but of course you end up making do with what you have, so here, is the first couple of steps in the project.

P1010007.jpg

One of the bungs had a 3/4" threaded section available, so I ran a male adaptor through it and added a female threaded ell to the inside, then a 3/4" to 2" adaptor with a short piece of 2" pipe notched as an overflow. Where did I get the 2" pipe"? Well, I ordered some T5 bulbs from DIYreef.com and they shipped the bulbs in the PVC pipe!

Outside the tank I pulled some stuff from my PVC parts bucket, a 3/4" to 1" adaptor to 1" tee with pipe and 45d ells to run it into a plastic sump under the stand.

simpleoverflowsystempost.jpg

Light.

Redoing a road in town, they closed a used car lot. For the longest time I'd noticed some metal halde fixtures dangling from poles in the car lot, and when they ended up in a dumpster I dove in. I had to go it alone as Genie was totally aghast that I'd do such a thing.

More of the 2" pipe from the T5 purchase and a $2.50 2" electrical conduit sweep ell from Lowe's (amazing how cheap that was and some 2X4's made me pendant light stand.

A magnetic ballast mounted in a metal saltine cracker can and a cheap 250W chinese 20K bulb complete the ensemble.

Chineselightingsystem2-1.jpgThe light seems to be satisfactory.

Chineselightingsystem-1.jpg

Here's the setup in the Backyard reef lab

setupinlab100608.jpg

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see:

plumbing fittings - generously, $10.00 (not including the black return nozzle I got from a lfs junk table for $1.00)

Chinese bulb - cost plus shipping - $13.00 (yep, I wouldn't have been shocked it it hadn't worked, but it does!)

ballast - given to me, but had to buy a capacitor - $10.00 - New ballast cost $30.00 at the electrical supply.

Sand - that's why the water is cloudy - cleaned up from the 70 - I call it free or if you want $10.00

Paint - Sears weatherbeater bought as miscolor for $5.00 - but I've painted everything in the lab made of wood with it and still have a quarter gallon!

Hmm, what else?

Oh, the eggcrate - half a sheet - $6.00 (but actually given to me.)

Mag 7 pump, didn't work due to busted shaft and housing - new housing - $6.00, new shaft made from a 316 stainless welding rod - nothing :D

Sump - $5.00 from Wal-Mart - but I've had it for years. :P

Man, in these economic hard times we got to make do!

so whats the toatal gallon round 25-30 gallons i'm guessing aslo waht is yout turn over rate in the tub? I look reallly cool but if i get another tank my wife said i should start packing my bags

so whats the toatal gallon round 25-30 gallons i'm guessing aslo waht is yout turn over rate in the tub? I look reallly cool but if i get another tank my wife said i should start packing my bags

It's a 55 gallon drum, so about 25 gallons since it doesn't go all the way to the top edge, plus about a 10 gallon sump. It's shallower and more surface area than a 20L, so I should be able to get more frags in it that way.

Mag 7 return with a 2 ft. lift, so about 550gph/25 gallons = 22X. When I get sps frags in it I'll add a Maxi-Jet 1200 and if I need more I've got a DIY prop mod.

I had Genie help me move it out of the garage into the reef lab, she did make some little comment about "filling the place up soon" but I kinda ignored that. Fact is, when it gets cold all her orchids will be coming inside, so I'll have to make room for her then. It is a pretty cool place in the winter though, half jungle and half ocean.

Now for a skimmer and maybe a ghetto fuge. B)

pretty much amazing. you always seem to come up with the most inventive projects. any way we can see more pics of the "lab"?

pretty much amazing. you always seem to come up with the most inventive projects. any way we can see more pics of the "lab"?

Thanks BJK2, I guess I'm "one of those" who gets as much pleasure out of tinkering with stuff as I do looking at the tank.

I will get some pics of the full setup tomorrow. Lights are out now and I'm in the middle of a tank takedown so stuff is scattered all over the floor.

I gotta hand it to you....that's not ghetto at all....that's BRILLIANT DIY at its best....I am deeply impressed....If you happened to grab more than one off those lighting fixtures I sure would love to talk you out of one....I never see any good stuff going toward dumpsters around here....

Speaking of both Skimmers AND ghetto, have you considered a DIY 2 Liter Bottle recirculating skimmer? I was going to build one out of two bottles cut and put together to give like a 24 inch tall, 6 inch wide skimmer with a decent recirc pump. I kinda figured the curved top would make for a natural neck shape....just a thought...I first thought of it in response to people bashing ghetto DIY efforts....

onefish2fish
Very nice work and unique!!!! One question, Why didn't you use the other half of the drum for the sump? :D:D

shh...

... .thats for when the plants go inside...

......another frag tank.

Archived