Cultivated Reef

DIY Jawfish House

stoney waters

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
akabryanhall

So I went throught the process, made the square tube using 1" pvc, ordered the barnacle online, epoxied it all to gether and it looks great. My Black Cap Jawfish came in the other day and I tried to coax it in there using the tupperware method, he escaped through a crack made during a readjustment, and now resides in a tunnel system, nowhere near the barnacle. Hopefully he discovers it at some point.

Question about this...I built something similar to this and was wondering about it......

I bought all the pieces however none are threaded they are all slip....Since im putting it in water and will have water in it i dont have to worry about sealing it right? I bought a 1/16" drill bit and put holes in the top like the one pictured in here. I also used a 3/4" 45 degree angle for the top to go on the T and it will stick out of the sand. This should be good right?

This is for a YWG. the smallest tubes are 3/4"

akabryanhall

That should be good, I'm wondering if the fact that the pieces fit loosely together will cause things to shift and sand may start coming in through the cracks.

That should be good, I'm wondering if the fact that the pieces fit loosely together will cause things to shift and sand may start coming in through the cracks.

Oh they arent together loosely...They are tight as crap. I tried to reposition the entrance after i got it in the water and under the sand and found out really fast it wouldnt happen. So i had to take it back out and beg it to move some more.

• 3 weeks later...

Could someone please provide what fish species will successfully host in this home I have been looking at gobys blennies etc... looking for something that will be attracted this home I built one and it is installed in tank just waiting for tank to cycle...

DSC_1121a-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
would I be able to add a jawfish to a 10 gallon with one of these bad boys? I don't want my sand bed to be like 4 inches deep

Should work fine, that was OP made this for.

I made one of these for my 40B.

I used krylon to paint the entrance. When that dried I gooped on superglue then stuffed it in sand.

Now the outside matches the sandbed with the inside black.

I'll have to take a pic of it and post.

duckiesforever

hmmm is a 5 gallon a stretch?

im planning on doing this

but i cant afford a screw-up

i only have a 1 inch substrate depth,

however im planning on making a mound

where the burrow will be

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it was a good run.

My Jawfish officially abandoned his PVC+Barnacle Condo last night, after having lived in it since Dec 22nd, 2008. I'm so disappointed, but I guess every Blue Spotted Jawfish has to venture out sooner or later.

He's currently digging burrows under my live rock and making a mess with the sugar-sized sand ... I changed over to LEDs yesterday, and the increase in light must have stressed him out.

Damn.

Edit: Yey! My BSJF moved back into his PVC+Barnacle Condo. I guess his 6 day vacation is over.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread up from the dead. I made a house today, too. Unfortunately, my jawfish already made a traditional burrow behind the rock work. I'm hoping lack of food back there will get him to explore the front and find the house. I'll give it a few weeks before I start messing with him at his old home to make him leave.

11142009-1.jpg

wow i was just going to bump this because i just got a blue spotted jaw fish... and it has been sitting in the Tupperware thing for like 30 min.... how long did it take yours to find the house? mine looks like crap.... not the fish... the house

this would be great if someone would make the tubing out of something transparent and the bury it in sand right along the front of the tank so you could an above ground and underground view of the home

That does sound awesome. But what if it doesnt like the fact that the inside of the burrow is bright from the room light? or is that not a factor?

kellerexpress

Here is the one I made, I made mine with a back door so the little guy could have somewhere to escape to if he wanted. I used rock rubble since I couldnt find a barnacle

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3032-1.jpg

Awesome idea and thread, might have to get a jawfish just so i can make one of these.

I was reading this thread on my laptop while on the toilet, took me awhile to get through all the pages but i was to into the thread to get up. Now my legs asleep and im stuck. Someone want to come pull a "lethal weapon 2" and pull me off the toilet into the tub?

Do i NEED a shell or some entrance? Can it be like this? Its cause I cant find any barnacle or shell.

1128090047.jpg?t=1259398322

Also, how big/wide does the entrance hole have to be?

Do i NEED a shell or some entrance? Can it be like this? Its cause I cant find any barnacle or shell.

Also, how big/wide does the entrance hole have to be?

You dont NEED a shell for the entrance, it just looks better.

The original poster made his entrance 3/4inch along with the rest of it.

Just put the house under the sand and put some small pieces of live rock rubble around the pvc entrance to make it look better and to hide the pvc.

Alright! Thanks for the answer. I don't have any tools so I got a HD employee to cut my pvc pipes for me. (: I literally brought the finished product to the cashier and they looked at me weirdly and I had to explain to them. And whew, my pipes are 3/4 inch

Archived