Cultivated Reef

DIY Jawfish House

stoney waters

You could make one and hope he notices it and decides it would be a better home. I mean short of removing him from his current home and destroying it, there probably won't be much incentive for him to move. Give it a shot though he may see it and like it.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i need to do something...he left his original burrow...and I found him under a mushroom colony, and now this morning he is in the front right corner just digging in the sand....my clowns love to peek into his hole so it is likely annoying him...hence the move all the time

I never thought I could have a Bluespot cause my substrate is fine and it couldnt really make a burrow out of it. This is awesome man I was thinking about constructing a burrow out of small pieces of live rock and then attaching Ricordea on the outside of the burrow. I wonder if the Jawfish would except the burrow with ricordea on the outside or not?

This does work , I did this many years ago with one inch PVC for my blue spot that lived in my 12 gallon nano for many many years . Mine was not as fancy and I do like the barnical/shell idea . Keep in mind when mine was alive it was the only fish in the nano . His death came as an accident when he jumped over the false wall and got caught up in the cooling fan of the hood . Here is an older picture of him . RIP Jaws .

post-8365-1235144310_thumb.jpg

post-8365-1235144337_thumb.jpg

suicidal little sucks aren't they?

What makes them jump?

Like wrasses , they can be startled easy , when they move in the ocean to a new home or have to leave there burrow through the front or back exit they jump/swim very very quickly , so as not to be attacked or become someones dinner .

• 2 weeks later...
akabryanhall

Doesn't the jawfish have a slime that accumulates on their scales that they naturally rub off by burrowing. Wouldn't a smooth sided tunnel prevent them from doing that? I suppose they could still burrow outside of the man made tunnel as well..

Doesn't the jawfish have a slime that accumulates on their scales that they naturally rub off by burrowing. Wouldn't a smooth sided tunnel prevent them from doing that? I suppose they could still burrow outside of the man made tunnel as well..

My jawfish still plays in the sand, he just doesn't dig holes :)

akabryanhall

Hey Bonsai,

How long have you had you BSJF? And how did you pick him out to make sure he was a healthy specimen?

Oh and what preventative measures did you do for your BC to prevent kamikaze style maneuvers? Thinking about just doing some egg crate on the back wall to prevent it jumping into the back compartments, cause I've had a diamond back goby and my false perc do it since the tank started.

Archived