Cultivated Reef

DIY Jawfish House

stoney waters

Alright! Thanks for the answer. I don't have any tools so I got a HD employee to cut my pvc pipes for me. (: I literally brought the finished product to the cashier and they looked at me weirdly and I had to explain to them. And whew, my pipes are 3/4 inch

This hobby will get you weird looks from many stores. When i filled my 40B i had a shopping cart filled to the brim with distilled water, and the little rack on the bottom was too. I told them the world was ending.

I also got odd looks from people at Lowes yesterday. I bought eggcrate and acrylic cut to weird sizes. The guy kept saying "that piece of egg crate has some broken squares get a good one". I said it doesnt matter because im going to cut the crap out of it. So he finally gave me a discount on the broken one (which is what i was going for, half price!)

Get used to the odd looks :D

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This hobby will get you weird looks from many stores. When i filled my 40B i had a shopping cart filled to the brim with distilled water, and the little rack on the bottom was too. I told them the world was ending.

Haha did the same thing at walmart!

In the processs to of building one of these houses just waiting for the barnacle to come in the mail! :)

Im not sure if this was covered earlier in this thread, but do you fill the PVC pipe with sand and let him dig it all out? or do you leave it completely bare

Im not sure if this was covered earlier in this thread, but do you fill the PVC pipe with sand and let him dig it all out? or do you leave it completely bare

pretty sure you leave the inside bare. bury it in the sand tho.

you can acclimate him to his new home using a tuperware container as stated earlier in the thread

stoney waters
Here is the one I made, I made mine with a back door so the little guy could have somewhere to escape to if he wanted. I used rock rubble since I couldnt find a barnacle

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3032-1.jpg

Luv it!

Here is the one I made, I made mine with a back door so the little guy could have somewhere to escape to if he wanted. I used rock rubble since I couldnt find a barnacle

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3032-1.jpg

would it not put more stress on him having two doors because he has to protect them both i would think he would feel more safe with only one door.

When I was in florida and saw pearly jawfish in their burrows they always seemed to have multiple entry points to their burrows. They would pop their heads out of one to get a look at you duck in and pop out somewhere else.

When I was in florida and saw pearly jawfish in their burrows they always seemed to have multiple entry points to their burrows. They would pop their heads out of one to get a look at you duck in and pop out somewhere else.

ok then well you learn somthing new every day

You guys think a yellow watchman goby would like this? Or any goby, etc. for that matter? Or maybe even a scooter?

I don't have experience with those. But if they like to burrow, I'm sure they would eventually find it and settle in. I would give it a try, you've got nothing to lose! Then share your experiences with us, you can be a "pioneer"! ;)

• 1 month later...

i made a DIY jawfish house and my BSJF dug out all the sand from in the middle of it and is using it as a refuge.. its sort of making me kind of irritated..

i tried pushing sand back in it and he just sat there like he would die to stay there.. now hes cleaning it all out again.

is there anything i could do? should i set up a trap and try it all over again with a smaller water bottle so the only place he can go is in thebarnacle? my sandbed is definately not deep enough for him to burrow :( please help anyone..

its sort of making me kind of irritated..i tried pushing sand back in it and he just sat there like he would die to stay there

omgomgomg

LOL gotta love them BSJ's!

Wow.. this post will go on forever. Lol so the jawfish condo rocks! I wanna build one but I'm still somewhat worried on the outcome.. I had. Two mated engineer gobies 7in long do a number on my tank. So finally I got tired of re setting the fallin rocks and they weren't falling for the bottle trap trick so I went ahead and pulled all the live rock out of my tank. Which isn't fun at all.. lol I was tired of them tearing up the sand. Will these jaw fish do the same amount of damage if they don't take to there luxurious one bedroom condo? Lol

Archived