Cultivated Reef

DIY Jawfish House

stoney waters

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Bonsai,

How long have you had you BSJF? And how did you pick him out to make sure he was a healthy specimen?

Oh and what preventative measures did you do for your BC to prevent kamikaze style maneuvers? Thinking about just doing some egg crate on the back wall to prevent it jumping into the back compartments, cause I've had a diamond back goby and my false perc do it since the tank started.

I was the reason that StevieT designed the mediabaskets.com BC29 Fish Saver with a horizontal piece on top. So with that installed, there is NO way the Jawfish can get to the back chambers.

I've had the BSJF for a few months -- I got him from a trusted LFS who had the fish in their system for quite some time. He was eating frozen mysis readily and very healthy looking.

• 1 month later...

sorry to bring up this old thread but I was wondering if this contraption eliminates the need for a 4-5 inch sand bed... seems to me that you would only need enough sand to cover the entire burrow, except the entrance. Or does the fish still go and creates secondary burrows?

stoney waters

The reason I made the burrow was because I thought my two inch sand be was not sufficient. My jawfish ( and I've been through three) have all used it exclusively. Although, a couple of them would venture out from time to time and hang out in a certain nook under the live rock.

My jawfish digs all the time.. he has a mansion but he ventures and I find him in new burrows all the time. Its kinda nice because the wrasse, hogfish and firefish use his other burrows... they kinda switch rooms every now and then its interesting.

I am really debating this now but I have an open top. I suppose the tank needs to be screened in and I have to find a clean way of doing that that looks professional. I have so much acrylic tubing that I could use but PVC looks easier because of the bends.

does screen material cut down on too much light?

I like these little homes. I had a yellowhead jawfish for over a year, but I built my tank with a 5" sand bed. It was always fun to see where he would build his burrow. Sadly, he died, but now I am planning for my next jawfish, so I may consider something like this. One thing I would miss, based on my previous jawfish experience, is the playful tossing of sand jawfish are known for.

I like these little homes. I had a yellowhead jawfish for over a year, but I built my tank with a 5" sand bed. It was always fun to see where he would build his burrow. Sadly, he died, but now I am planning for my next jawfish, so I may consider something like this. One thing I would miss, based on my previous jawfish experience, is the playful tossing of sand jawfish are known for.

My jawfish still moves sand around, but it is basically just him taking sand from the front of the tank and piling it up in front of the Jawfish condo :)

Is it better to have more space open on the bottom for them? I have about 30 +/- of live rock and I am wondering if I should remove some pieces to give my future jawfish more room.

• 4 weeks later...

talk to kathyc on manhattanreefs.com

she makes a mesh screen cover for those that choose to run open top. i have been thinking about getting one

Anyone interested in a funny jawfish house check out my thread!

It involved Paco the Puffer and some PVC piping!

so i got a blue spot jawfish but i couldn't get him to try out the condo I made. he decided to take up residence behind some rocks. Is there anyway I can get him to move into the PVC piping?

the easiest way ive seen to get the BSJ to take to its home is to sink a tupperware container with a hole in the lid and with the fish inside the water-filled, sunken tupperware container, turn it upside down (lid down) so the house will fit up into the container. that way, the fish has no where to go besides into its new DIY home.

let it sit for awhile and then remove the tupperware container

yea, i tried that the first time, but he escaped and now is in my rock work. i tried capturing him again and doing the method, but once again, he escaped. any method to get him into the condo without catching him?

birdman204

Great thread.

TY.

I am going to make a large system of tunnel in my next tank. Wonder how the fish will like it.

yea, i tried that the first time, but he escaped and now is in my rock work. i tried capturing him again and doing the method, but once again, he escaped. any method to get him into the condo without catching him?

Try feeding near the condo. He may relocate to get closer to the food.

Do you have to have the jaw fish house go all the way around in a square? my houst is just a curved piece connected to a longer piece of PVC pipe... i didnt have enough sand to coverup the whole thing without it looking wierd

i got a few questions

1) what diameter PVC did you use?

2) could i keep a dusky jawfish in an 8gal BC?

thanks DT,

also how small should the holes in the PVC be?

I used 3/4" PVC. The holes were mainly for ventilation and to let air escape so it would stay submerged. Be sure the holes are small enough not to let sand drop in or your fish will spend all day scooping it up and spitting it out his hole.

both of your questions are covered on the first page...

Archived