Coral Vue Hydros

DIY Jawfish House

stoney waters

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a couple of fist-sized clumps of those barnacles, what a GREAT idea! I was looking last night at some of the shrimp/goby combinations and I may rig up something like this for them.

So does he actually swim through the PVC piping or is it just used to anchor the barnacle? Do you know if they wouldn't mind living with neighbors? I wonder if you could set up a bunch of these along a pvc pipe and have a little colony in the sand.

stoney waters

Yes, he uses the whole tubing. When he enters head first he will swim through the loop and pop his head out from the other side. That is what he does at the end of the video, it's that fast. Sometimes he will hide inside and I cant see him, but he has his head out at least 90% of the time.

I wouldn't put two of them that close together, they are very territorial among their own species.

I Ate A Cake

I am definatley getting either a Blue-spot or a YellowHeaded Jawfish when I upgrade, and I am going to use this design. Thanks for the idea.

Yes, he uses the whole tubing. When he enters head first he will swim through the loop and pop his head out from the other side. That is what he does at the end of the video, it's that fast. Sometimes he will hide inside and I cant see him, but he has his head out at least 90% of the time.

I wouldn't put two of them that close together, they are very territorial among their own species.

Ah yeah I just watched the video again and see what you mean. Wow those guys are fast. Do you think if you put two barnacles on one pipe, so like two entrances he would like that or would that make him feel insecure. This is definitely a cool idea I really like jawfish and wouldn't mind trying it out.

stoney waters

All parts were 3/4" PVC. The list is small and cost only a couple bucks.

4-3/4" street elbows

1- small piece of 3/4" pipe (4 or 5 inches)

1- 3/4" Tee adapter ( I cut off the tee to fit the barnacle)

Reef epoxy

Barnacle shell ( not necessary, you could just use a PVC pipe to the surface like modernreefkeeper did on his version)

I did not use cement on any of the fittings in case disassembly was necessary.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I was thinking of glueing some LR rubble together to make the mouth of the cave or something. Of course all of this is in the planning stages I don't even have the tank yet!

stoney waters

There are so many options, I just used what I had. If I didn't have the barnacle I would have done it a different way. Liverock, shells, coral skeletons, they all would work equally well.

I wonder if I could drill a hole in some LR with a 1" bit and camouflage it that way. That would be pretty cool.

Agreed, that would be sweet!

stoney, awesome idea what you did right there!!!

• 1 month later...

Wow, this is definitely an awesome idea. Beautiful fish by the way. I've wanted a blue spot jawfish for some time now. I plan to put one in my new nano. I'm definitely going to build one of these. Great job and thanks for sharing.

What do you guys think about building the pvc throughout the entire bottom of the tank with a few different openings for the fish. This would provide those who don't like placing the rock directly on the glass onto the pvc. Think that would work?

I do have one other question though. Isn't the end with the vents under the surface of the sand? If it is then is there really flow though the pvc keeping the water from becoming stagnant throughout?

stoney waters
I do have one other question though. Isn't the end with the vents under the surface of the sand? If it is then is there really flow though the pvc keeping the water from becoming stagnant throughout?

In my opinion just the fish swiming through the pipe is enough to keep the water moving and refreshed.

• 1 month later...

I just built one of these. Ill take some pic of it and post it up here, cuz mine is a tad different.

For one i used a snail shell for the entrance. Im hoping my jawfish likes. ;)

Very cool!

I just added a bullseye jawfish to my tank but luckily I have crazy base LR so it already formed tunnels in the substrate.

Archived