SaltCritters.com

DIY Jawfish House

stoney waters

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I'd add photos of the DIY Jawfish house I built - I obviously used Stoney's plans :)

barnaclehouseuz3.jpg

Here are some photos of me introducing him to the tank, and making sure he tried out his new house before I let him run around the tank digging holes :) As you can see, I basically took a disposable plastic container and cut a hole in the top of it large enough for the Barnacle Shells to fit in. I put it in the tank so it floated at the top, and netted the jawfish and plopped him in. I then covered the hole, inverted the container, and placed it on top of the Barnacle home.

jawfish01eg6.jpg

jawfish02er7.jpg

I've had the Blue Spotted Jawfish for about a month now, and he loves his home. He hangs around in there 98% of the time.

He even has a few chunks of Live Rock Rubble that he uses as a "Door" at night. When the lights go out, he drags these rock pieces in front of the barnacle opening to close it up for the evening. So fun to watch!

You can drill holes in the side so fine grand sand won't fall through. The holes you drill should be pretty small otherwise your jawfish will be spitting and out all day.

I think average price for these guys is $140 or so. You can find them cheaper sometimes though.

I was talking to my LFS about Blue Spotted Jawfish (BSJF) and learned some pretty interesting information. Apparently they are all live caught, and often times arrive at wholesalers and retailers with diseases and general health issues. My LFS said that when they received BSJF, they immediately quarantine them and treat them in copper water as well as with antibiotics. They don't want to see if the BSJF is showing signs of disease, they just assume the fish is ill and treat it accordingly.

Using the above practice, they've only lost one BSJF over their many years of business. I talked to a wholesaler in my town also about this, and he agreed, saying that his source cited a "high mortality rate" for BSJF.

So what's my point? My careful about where you get the fish from ... if you're going to drop $100 - $150 on a BSJF, make sure it has been quarantined and treated accordingly, and make sure it is healthy/eating when you purchase it.

Mine just push the snails out.

LFS by me sell the BlueSpot for $100...there's like 3 local to me right now that have been in stock for a few months now and healthy.

what happens when a snail or a crab goes inside? Will the jawfish attack it?

My BSJF loves to pick on my Emerald Crab. The crab will walk along the front glass of the tank ... and when he gets to the middle of the tank, where the jawfish is, he knows to hurry up or he'll get nipped at.

stoney waters
what happens when a snail or a crab goes inside? Will the jawfish attack it?

If anything fall inside the jawfish will immediately pick it up and eject it. Sometimes I will purposely drop a hermit inside because it is so damn funny to watch.

I was just thinking what if you put a thin clear resin around the camel light box... then you could have it under water and have the jawfish inside without worrying about it corroding. hmmmm.. what if I made a tiny top hat made of acrylic.... oh the possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

what do you think the fish would do if it already has a burrow? I would like to make one of these and have it more front and center of the nano, because his burrow is on the far side...so you really don't see him even when he is peeking out. It is a pearly by the way.

Archived