Nano sapiens

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens
48 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Beautiful beautiful tank. 11yrs? Gosh its been around for almost half my lifetime XD 

No issues between the rics and yuma? For some reason I thought the yumas were a bit more aggressive. Didn’t know they played well together. 

Thank you  :)

Common misconception, 'Yumas' are 'Rics' (the two species are the Caribbean Ricordia florida and the Indo-Pacific Ricordia yuma).  I've been keeping these together for decades and they peacefully coexist.  The only concerns I've had are that over many years one or the other species of Ric *may* become dominant over the other (can't say which since each tank is different).

• Thanks 1

Nano sapiens
38 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Happy Birthday Reef!! 🎉

That fat GBG is the best. 😃 

Definitely a porker! 🐽

• Haha 1

Nano sapiens

RIP, 'Chunk 2':

1382195142_OldGBG_070219.jpg.25cc11979047c8523717324e7290ee45.jpg

I had this one for over 3-1/2 years.  It lost the ability to eat properly when the oversized jaw muscles nearly closed off the esophagus, so he wasted away over the last two weeks or so.  Now, there are three fish...and that's enough for ~10g of water.

In other news, I'm still battling a very tenacious 'Molten Lava Leptoseris'.  This is what it looked like in it's heyday as it tried to take over the neighborhood (light blue eyed encruster on top):

20190112_103521.jpg.fb2925e9a009d59925cd1ffbdfb9d0ad.jpg

A massive scraping got about 90% of it off, but for months I've been removing small remnants.  After I got tired of that I tried coating it with a Kalk paste (applied out of the water so it could soak in).  Surely, a PH of 12 should have killed it, but noooo...  Last resort is a full covering of the effected areas with pink epoxy:

1015593843_12gPinkEpoxyCoverings_091719.thumb.jpg.691d95fc3daefe3056fb3573f2504738.jpg

At the end of the month I'll be removing the epoxy and if it's still alive underneath I'll nominate it to Guinness for 'World's most resilient coral'!

Still dealing with brown dustings of sand bed cyano/diatoms.  PO4 and NO3 are slowly coming down with larger water changes/vacuuming and reduced feeding, but they have a ways to go (especially nitrate which is still around 35-40 ppm).  Interestingly, PO4 of up to .08 and NO3 up to 60 ppm (highest they've ever been in this system, currently sitting at .04 and ~40 ppm, respectively) caused some minor algae outbreaks, but had little observable effect on the corals themselves.  In fact, some, such as the Acans and the Ponape Birdsnest, actually look better than ever).  The elevated nutrient situation was caused by my attempt to keep a 3+ inch nocturnal Calliogobius hassellti well fed and healthy for the year that it was in the tank and the fish's ability to eat up just about everything in the system causing a lack of macrofauna biodiversity.  It is interesting to see how adaptable corals are to widely varying system conditions over time in a mature system.

Thanks for looking!

• Sad 3

WV Reefer
7 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

RIP, 'Chunk2':

1382195142_OldGBG_070219.jpg.25cc11979047c8523717324e7290ee45.jpg

I had this one for over 3-1/2 years.  It lost the ability to eat properly when the jaw muscles nearly closed off the esophagus, so he wasted away over the last two weeks or so.

In other news, I'm still battling a very tenacious 'Molten Lava Leptoseris'.  This is what it looked like in it's heyday as it tried to take over the neighborhood (light blue eyed encruster on top):

20190112_103521.jpg.fb2925e9a009d59925cd1ffbdfb9d0ad.jpg

A massive scraping got about 90% of it off, but for months I've been removing small remnants.  After I got tired of that I tried painting it out of the water with a Kalk paste.  Surely, a PH of 12 or more should kill it, but noooo...  Last resort is a full covering of the effected areas with pink epoxy:

1015593843_12gPinkEpoxyCoverings_091719.thumb.jpg.691d95fc3daefe3056fb3573f2504738.jpg

At the end of the month I'll be removing the epoxy and if it's still alive I'll nominate it to Guinness for 'World's most resilient coral'!

Still dealing with sand bed cyano.  PO4 and NO3 are slowly coming down with larger water changes/vacuumings and reduced feeding, but they have a ways to go (especially nitrate which is still around 35-40 ppm).

Thanks for looking!

Poor chunk 🙁

Nano sapiens
2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Poor chunk 🙁

After 3-1/2 years of entertainment, he'll be missed...

Now I'm down to an even older Yellow Line Goby, an Eyebrow Barnacle Blenny and a Saddled Blenny.  I expect the Yellow Line to finally pass this year (but I thought so last year, too, and he/she is still bopping around!).  I think the system as it is today would be just about right with the bioload of just the two Blennies.

• Like 2

Nano sapiens

Well, that's a fine how-do-you-do (a new automatic way to time-release those 'essential trace elements'?) :wink:

2036396662_12gBoltinBackChamber_092019.jpg.47da5749174c126aacda506fbec12f1d.jpg

On a whim, I was checking out my rear chambers for anything moving (hoping to see some form of motile life) and saw what looked like a small live rock.  Wondering how a piece of live rock could get in there, I reached in, took it out and found it was actually a bolt!  I have absolutely no idea how this got into one of my three back chambers.  The bolt is not even of a size that I use anywhere on or near the aquarium...

I am however seriously suspecting this corroded bolt as the cause of all my pods, mysids, micro-brittlestars and bristleworms disappearing from the system.  May also be contributing to my persistent 'brown cyano on the sand bed' issue as well as some green and brown hair algae that started showing up about 2 months ago (adding iron to a system often spurs algae growth if other elements are not limiting).

Have to add 'stray bolts out of nowhere' as another thing to look out for in this hobby :wacko:

• Wow 3

billygoat

I've heard stories of similar problems resulting from bits of metal buried in the sandbed, so I imagine you are absolutely right about this corroding bolt contributing to your algae/invert problems. Excellent find! It's great that you were able to remove it so easily. I hope this incredible system becomes even more beautiful now that it is gone. 😊

• Like 1

Nano sapiens
8 hours ago, billygoat said:

I've heard stories of similar problems resulting from bits of metal buried in the sandbed, so I imagine you are absolutely right about this corroding bolt contributing to your algae/invert problems. Excellent find! It's great that you were able to remove it so easily. I hope this incredible system becomes even more beautiful now that it is gone. 😊

Based on the bolt's condition, I suspect it's been in the system for just a few months.  I could easily have missed this had I not checked and got curious (the back chamber that this was in is only 2" x 3" wide).

I had a similar issue in my old 55g about 18 years ago where things started to go downhill for no apparent reason.  I trawled the substrate with a net and came up with a good sized rusty fish hook!  

Oddly enough, all the LPS and SPS look fine (other than a pale Sunset Monti).  In fact, the Acans, especially, have popped new heads out in all directions so they must be liking something (maybe the added iron)?.  My Hermits are a bit slow these days it seems, but otherwise doing their thing (Hermits are tough little buggers). 

There's always something to learn, even when things go sideways  :smilie:

• Like 1
  • Wow 1