Cultivated Reef

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Glad you like the little setup. I would highly recommend this AIO. The system works as advertised, it is very robust and it is easy to keep clean.

One of the smaller clownfish, a few branching-type LPS and a few CUC should do fine if your aquarium husbandry is correct and consistent. I run my tank without any filtration other than a few pieces of LR rubble in the 'fuge (I use these as a source of frag rocks more than anything else), but my bio-load is not heavy and feeding is weekly and realtively light. Each tank is different and part of the challenge is figuring out what works. Read as much as you can and especially, don't try to rush things.

I feed some corals rinsed Mysis shrimp with a tweezer, same for occasional small pieces of fresh fish, shrimp, etc. Any pieces not eaten are removed from the system. Those corals that do not eat large food items get either 'Oyster Feast' or 'Coral Frenzy' fed to them directly via a small pipette. I'm currently trying an amino acid supplement from Brightwell to determine if coral coloration can be enhanced.

Edited by Nano sapiens

Hey dude, you replied to one of my threads about the power glo bulbs. how you egtting on? installed them yet? im running 10k and 18k atm, 1st day running them, pipe organ has taken abit of a shock to them i think, only a couple. im wondering how my mushroom will do tho, hes getting alot of light, maybe too much im not sure but ill keep and eye on him.

ill also post back of what i think about the bulbs and how well my corals do with it. i swapped it for the marine blue, so ive lost the blue tint to the tank and gained a purple pinkish colour, and tbh these brights are pretty dam bright to look at, but from what hagen say, they put out a dam good spectrum! hoping my corals like it and wont be to much for them. ill see how it goes and ill let every1 else know also.

tanks looks brill btw. good job!

Edited by SpurtKA

Hey, how's it going.

You might want to shield your new light for a bit to prevent light shock. Some people use cheescloth, I used a piece of very thin white paper taped to my acrylic bulb shield to block some light directly over a few specimens for a week when I changed to new bulbs 6 months back.

I'll be installing the Power-Glo after New Year since my current bulbs are only 5 months old.

Here's a graph of the Power-Glo's spectrum:

HagenPower-GloSpectrum.jpg~original

You can see the peak in yellow, and to lesser extent orange, which combined with the blue will give the pinkish-purple. From what I have read, yellow/orange is good for coral growth. It'll be interesting to see how the various corals react to these bulbs.

Thanks for tank compliment.

Nano sapiens said:

Hey, how's it going.

You might want to shield your new light for a bit to prevent light shock. Some people use cheescloth, I used a piece of very thin white paper taped to my acrylic bulb shield to block some light directly over a few specimens for a week when I changed to new bulbs 6 months back.

I'll be installing the Power-Glo after New Year since my current bulbs are only 5 months old.

Here's a graph of the Power-Glo's spectrum:

HagenPower-GloSpectrum.jpg~original

You can see the peak in yellow, and to lesser extent orange, which combined with the blue will give the pinkish-purple. From what I have read, yellow/orange is good for coral growth. It'll be interesting to see how the various corals react to these bulbs.

Thanks for tank compliment.

ahhhh cheers for the light tip, ill do that tomoz. my pipe organs look like they are melting, only couple they are fine atm ill keep an eye on them closely. and im hoping they do well, only thing i can see going wrong is my mushrooms as they are smack bang in the middle of the tank recieving alot of light, maybe too much but again, ill keep an eye on them.

• 4 weeks later...
I'd love to hear about the new bulb, once you've put it in.

I've had a new Hagen Power-Glo bulb in for around 2 weeks in addition to (2) 10K and (1) Actinic bulbs from CADLights. The Hagen bulb is definitely bright and appears to be of very good quality (made in Japan),. I'll be replacing the old CADLights bulbs soon with fresh ones, but first I wanted to see if the Hagen bulb had any impact on its own.

Color wise the Power-Glo is actually quite pleasant when combined with the other bulbs, but when I tried two of the Power-Glo bulbs together the tank looked too pinkish. I dropped the photoperiod down from 10 to 8 hours because of the bulb being new. Polyp extension on all the corals has greatly improved using this new bulb, so I'd say I'm quite pleased so far.

A couple close-up shots of current polyp extension and recent, new growth under the Power-Glo bulb:

PolypExtensionSide123109.jpg

Pavona maldivensis looking like a UFO. The Acros on the right side have some serious polyp extension (just need to regain their blue color back), the Green Acro is starting to branch.

UndataPolypExt123109.jpg

M. undata (from 1-2 polyps to many!)

SetosaPolypExtTop123109.jpg

M. setosa growing polyps and forking.

GreenPavonaTop123109.jpg

Pavona sp. finally starting to spread.

Edited by Nano sapiens
Nano sapiens
Very Nice!!!! Great job NS

:bowdown: CADLIGHT's 12G

Thanks. I've been over on your tank post/thread watching the progress and its looking good! These are nice tanks, for sure.

Nano sapiens
Nice work NS!

Cool, looks like the LED guys are showing up :)

I've seen your tank thread, too, and followed along with the LED, ATO and stuff and it looks like it is coming along nicely!

A couple favs of mine, blue and green St. Thomas 'Shrooms I ordered from Coralmorphologic:

BlueStThomas010110.jpg

GreenStThomas010110.jpg

It's weird, but if I stare at the photo of the green St Thomas it starts to feel like its swaying in the current a bit (like it does in my tank).

Nano sapiens
Looking great. can't wait to start adding coral to mine!

Once you do, the fun (and expense) begins :)

Are you shooting for a mixed mini reef...or something more specialized?

It's weird, but if I stare at the photo of the green St Thomas it starts to feel like its swaying in the current a bit (like it does in my tank).

I be hipnotizedddd :blink:

:bowdown: CADLIGHTS 12G

Nano sapiens
Metal + saltwater = not good. Metal can rust in saltwater. Just thought I'd share.

Are you referring to the metal spouts on the pet bottle ATOs a couple pages back? They are stainless steel, the truly no rust kind. 1-1/2 years in service and no problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated photo on first page for January, 2010.

Not much new other than some fragging of Monti's here and there. Due to weekly vacuuming the diatoms on the sand bed are gone. Slow but steady growth noted on all corals with the exception of one single Acro species which seems to be stuck in suspended animation. All bulbs changed around Christmas (6 month duty cycle). All parameters very stable, Nitrates reduced to less than 5 ppm (from a high of 25 ppm a few months ago).

From another thread, a pic of my Petco bottle stainless steel spouts:

PetcoTwinSSTips012710.jpg

The left spout has seen 24/7 for nearly 1-1/2 years (the notch on the lip was my slip with a dremel tool, not corrosion). The right spout has seen around 3 months of service (the dimples around the tip were caused by my pliers when I removed the balls). The interior surfaces are rough and unfinished from the manufacturer.

No corrosion...no problem...all good!

Edited by Nano sapiens

Found a 'Black Barred Convict Goby' (Priolepis nocturnus) today at a local LFS. I've been looking for one of these for quite some time. I put him in the tank a few hours ago and he has been perched in the same spot ever since:

BarredClownGoby013010.jpg

Hopefully, it will be hiding in the rock work tomorrow where it belongs.

Just had the thought that it looks like the fish has his 'hands' up in this photo (after all, this is a 'Convict' goby) :)

Edited by Nano sapiens

Picked up this bright orange R. yuma gem this weekend:

BrightOrangeRYuma013010.jpg

I am very wary of wild caught Yumas (due to past melting experiences), so I was glad to find this aqua cultured specimen. This one is actually known to like bright light, but I'm hoping it will like my moderate lighting.

• 2 weeks later...
Beautiful tank! I'm thinking about going with the Cadlights 22gal. Very inspiring.

Thank you, glad you like it. I think you'll really enjoy the CadLights 22 :)

Couple new mods:

ATO 'Pet Bottle' Shroud (front view):

12gATOCoverFront021510.jpg

ATO 'Pet Bottle' Shroud (side view showing water level viewing window):

12gATOCoverSide021510.jpg

Thermometer viewing window:

12gThermoWindow021510.jpg

tank looks great :)

Thanks! I think I'm done tinkering since I can't think of anything left to mess with.

Another year or two of grow out and that'll just about finish it off.

How's the macro tank coming along?

• Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic