ReefCleaners.org

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Crappy old cell phone pic (main camera has given up...).

961290248_12gFTS_101319.thumb.jpg.08432a9640e93a660a07075bc06bc197.jpg

4 year old ORA Yellow Lined Goby...looks like crap, but still eating and a'kick'in  :)

1334676445_4yrOldYellowLinedGoby2_101319.jpg.bdf755d7f44d171a26b2f424f6ace629.jpg

• Like 11
On 10/13/2019 at 3:52 PM, Nano sapiens said:

Crappy old cell phone pic (main camera has given up...).

961290248_12gFTS_101319.thumb.jpg.08432a9640e93a660a07075bc06bc197.jpg

4 year old ORA Yellow Lined Goby...looks like crap, but still eating and a'kick'in  🙂

1334676445_4yrOldYellowLinedGoby2_101319.jpg.bdf755d7f44d171a26b2f424f6ace629.jpg

The tank still looks great! Bravo

That fish is still alive?! It sure does look like crap 😅

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Reefboyadv said:

any future plans for the tank?

At this point, just trying to keep everything happy and make it to the 12th year.  After that, we'll see...

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Justind823 said:

The tank still looks great! Bravo

That fish is still alive?! It sure does look like crap 😅

Thanks.  It's doing well considering it had a corroding bolt sitting in a back chamber for a while...

I've never seen a sorrier looking fish that wasn't already dead.  Every day it still gets excited when I feed, even though it has cataracts and can't find food...and has muscle atrophy on one side so it just bobs around in a circle.  Funny and sad at the same time :unsure:.  They're not supposed to live this long, really.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
6 hours ago, BulkRate said:

No kidding... I thought the neon-type gobies only lived 2-3 years!

Typically, yes 2-3 years in an aquarium.  4 years is like the Methuselah of cleaner gobies...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
On 10/12/2019 at 1:40 AM, Nano sapiens said:

Well there you go, I was just thinking about some of the 'old timer' names here on NR, including yours...and here you are!  🙂 How you doing, Rehype, and have you got a tank going at the moment?  Last I remember that you had gotten yourself a Pax Bellum algae scrubber.

As for that FTS, I'll see what I can come up with this weekend, so stay tuned  🙂

Im doing well sir! How about you? I havent been on the site in a while and thought Id check in. No tank at the moment been busy with the kids but thinking of doing something small for them to enjoy. 

The tank looks fantastic like I remember.  I cant believe it nearly 12 years old! Unbelievable for this type of tank. Hats off to you.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Rehype said:

Im doing well sir! How about you? I havent been on the site in a while and thought Id check in. No tank at the moment been busy with the kids but thinking of doing something small for them to enjoy. 

The tank looks fantastic like I remember.  I cant believe it nearly 12 years old! Unbelievable for this type of tank. Hats off to you.

Thanks, Eugene.  Would be great to have something small and simple for the kids to learn all about marine life.

• Like 2

RIP o'little Cleaner Dude:

Had this little ORA Yellow Lined Cleaner Goby since 02/24/16.  Factoring in 4-6 months to get him up to selling size, I figure that's a bit over 4 years old. 

Never did find out out what happened to the partner (were sold as a mated pair, but the one disappeared after 2 weeks).

59d301a1ef178_YellowStripedNeonGoby_022416.jpg.b2c4dea1ce92b550df95aa66c4398e02.jpg

Now down to just two fish, an Eyebrow Barnacle Blenny and a Saddled Blenny.  No plans to add any other fish at this point, but if I spy something interesting that may change  :)

• Like 4
  • Sad 4
17 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

Had this little ORA Yellow Lined Cleaner Goby since 02/24/16.  Factoring in 4-6 months to get him up to selling size, I figure that's a bit over 4 years old.  Never did find out out what happened to the partner (were sold as a mated pair, but the one disappeared after 2 weeks).

Now down to just two fish, an Eyebrow Barnacle Blenny and a Saddled Blenny.  No plans to add any other fish at this point, but if I spy something interesting that may change  🙂

4 years, that's one heck of a life for a cleaner goby! His name will be remembered in the legends of his people. Very impressive work keeping him alive for so long!

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

RIP o'little Cleaner Dude:

Had this little ORA Yellow Lined Cleaner Goby since 02/24/16.  Factoring in 4-6 months to get him up to selling size, I figure that's a bit over 4 years old. 

Never did find out out what happened to the partner (were sold as a mated pair, but the one disappeared after 2 weeks).

59d301a1ef178_YellowStripedNeonGoby_022416.jpg.b2c4dea1ce92b550df95aa66c4398e02.jpg

Now down to just two fish, an Eyebrow Barnacle Blenny and a Saddled Blenny.  No plans to add any other fish at this point, but if I spy something interesting that may change  🙂

🙁 He was a fighter. 

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

RIP little fella 💙

The nano reef is looking great this fall @Nano sapiens! That’s a really nice FTS photo from your phone too. Digital cameras sure have come a long ways since this tank first began!

Thanks, Chris.  Considering the 'corroded bolt in the back chamber' issue, I'm surprised myself that it had so little effect, but perhaps the maturity of the system played a part.

The pic was taken with an older Samsung Galaxy 3, which weren't known for having a good camera.  A bit of fiddling with the phone camera settings and a small amount of post-processing in Picassa gets pretty close to what I see with the naked eye.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, billygoat said:

4 years, that's one heck of a life for a cleaner goby! His name will be remembered in the legends of his people. Very impressive work keeping him alive for so long!

LOL, like the way you put that  :) 

Easy fish to keep and never caused any issues.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

🙁 He was a fighter. 

Yup, sure was!  In the future, I might consider another pair of the ORA neon or the hybrid (if they ever become available again).

• Like 4
Reefrelatedusername

Hey how’s the ato water bottle setup? 

Without flipping through 91 pages I’ve seen the setup and I’m interested. 

Your post on google actually brought me to the forum lol tank looks bomb btw 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Reefrelatedusername said:

Hey how’s the ato water bottle setup? 

Without flipping through 91 pages I’ve seen the setup and I’m interested. 

Your post on google actually brought me to the forum lol tank looks bomb btw 

ATO's are 11 years old and still going strong.  No moving parts, nothing to break or get stuck...what's not to like?  😊

Thanks,.  Tank's in a bit of a recovery mode at the moment, but it's still chugging along...

Reefrelatedusername
5 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

ATO's are 11 years old and still going strong.  No moving parts, nothing to break or get stuck...what's not to like?  😊

Thanks,.  Tank's in a bit of a recovery mode at the moment, but it's still chugging along...

Are you still using the metal tube part? Any rust? Was considering a similar

but diy approach with a different “tank” up top. 

15 hours ago, Reefrelatedusername said:

Are you still using the metal tube part? Any rust? Was considering a similar

but diy approach with a different “tank” up top. 

No rust.  Over time, the metal tube gets coated by a tough layer of precipitate.  I had a Triton ICP test done many years back and no unusual elevated metals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Reefrelatedusername
12 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

No rust.  Over time, the metal tube gets coated by a tough layer of precipitate.  I had a Triton ICP test done many years back and no unusual elevated metals.

RIght on, you saved me like 120$ man! 

1 hour ago, Reefrelatedusername said:

RIght on, you saved me like 120$ man! 

I'd still be a bit cautious though since the same type of pet bottle may be made differently today (some 'stainless' are not really stainless and will eventually corrode).  One thing you can do is coat the metal tip in something like a non-toxic lacquer or spray urethane .

Remember to remove the balls in the tube or it won't work properly.  Good luck!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Tank still looks beautiful even as it recovers from who-knows-how-long of random bolt contamination!  Sorry about the gobies, my little GBG is so cute and fun to watch!  You handled that guy's questions (back in Sept.) and comments regarding dinos very gracefully.  I got into a rather spirited debate with him a while back and he blocked me lol. Hope this tank can keep chugging along into infinity year 12 and beyond!

• Like 3

Man, I remember this tank from way back when.  Congrats on keeping it running for such a long time and it’s still looking great. Sorry to hear about your goby.  

@Rehype you gotta set something up to enjoy with the kids. That’s what brought me back. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Tank still looks beautiful even as it recovers from who-knows-how-long of random bolt contamination!  Sorry about the gobies, my little GBG is so cute and fun to watch!  You handled that guy's questions (back in Sept.) and comments regarding dinos very gracefully.  I got into a rather spirited debate with him a while back and he blocked me lol. Hope this tank can keep chugging along into infinity year 12 and beyond!

Thank you!  The bolt episode was a bit of a shocker, but as they say "Expect the unexpected!".    

As far as the Gobies go, can't complain as they had provided a lot of entertainment over the years.  Hope yours do well for a long time to come.

Borrowing a reference from Forest Gump, the Internet is "like a box of chocolates...you never know what you are going to get".   I always try to assume that folks mean well when they post...unless they prove me wrong.  The removal of the bolt and any metal corrosion residue, plus numerous water changes as well as a substantial reduction in nutrient levels, has virtually eliminated the sand bed bloom 👍

• Like 2