SaltCritters.com

28g JBJ HQI Club....

MarvinsReef

Thanks for the great comments!

Marvin,

I have not made any mod's or upgrades to my tank I am running it stock!

Using a sponge and purgien in the ref.

I am using a fan to keep the temp in check and have plans to purchace a chiller.

I have 23 lbs of LR and 25 lbs of LS, 6 corals, 3 fish, 5 snails, 5 crabs and a lobster.

Parameters:

Temp 76 - 77

PH - 8.2

Am - 0

NO2 - 0

NO3 - 0

So far so good, keeping my fingers crossed!

Allen

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry it took so long but heres my tank and its specs. I want to thank Marvin again for starting this thread everyone.

Tank: 28g JBJ w/ 54 watt actinic pcs

Lighting: 150w MH DE (20k Ushio bulb); (2) 54w PC actinics; (4) Moonlights

Skimmer: none

Fuge: none

Controller: Neptune AC JR

Top Off: JBJ ATO

Chiller: none

Birthday: 5-15-08

Mods: Fan blowing across back chambers and I also lifted the hood about 4 inches

Circulation: stock pumps, koralia nano, koralia 1

And of course the FTS

FTSOct7-1.jpg

Everyones tanks are looking great and I cant wait to see them all mature.

Hey Allen I have had no real issues with the screws rusting on my tank so I cant help with that but you might try the vegetable oil like someone else mentioned.

NancyPichette

I hope I am posting this in the right place.

My new 28 Gallon Nano Cube HQI.

Stock Lighting and Wavemaker

Skimmer (Stock) Don't see a name on it.

(1) 150 Watt HQI - 14K

(1) Remote HQI Ballast

(4) Cooling Fans

(4) Nite -Vu LEDs

(1) Remote LED Ballast

(1) Mirror Reflector

(1) Auto-Shut Off Thermal Protector

(2) Accela SPl-1000 Pumps Rated at 266 GPH

Ocean Pulse Duo Wavemaker

(2) Directional Flow Nozzles

I removed sponge in the back and added some live rock. I also added a 100 watt heater .

Here is my aquarium,

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks Nancy

post-39168-1223755150_thumb.jpg

I just scored one of these tanks for $250!!! Can I join the club? :P

Tank build to come soon, hopefully within the next month.

I just scored one of these tanks for $250!!! Can I join the club? :P

Tank build to come soon, hopefully within the next month.

Great deal on the tank, you will love it!

Glad to have you here :welcome:

Post pictures as you start the build!

Allen

Someone a while ago was talking about 'Fuge lighting for the center chamber ... this is what I got:

Coralife 18w PC 50/50 $34

Works pretty dang well! I got pods all over the place! (Granted, I don't have any fish yet to eat them) In my thread I show a bit on how I set it up.

Is anyone else having problems with rusting screws on thier JBJ HQI?

Thank you,

Ben

Yep, mine are rusted. Not to worried about it though......

NancyPichette
Hey Nancy,

Your in the righ place, glad to have you here :D

The rockscape looks good!

How long has your tank been up and running?

Allen

Allen,

Thanks! I have just had this one running about 3 days. The rock is cured and uncured but I had it in a barrel of saltwater with powerhead and heater for over a week. I just took my numbers today and they are:

Amonia .50

PH 7.8-8.0

Nitrate 5.0

Nitrite 1.0

Temp 78-79

Salinity 1.025

So far the only thing I changed in the back was remove sponge from fiter area and add live rock. I kept those rings for now but put them in another chamber, should I discard them also? I also kept the charcoal media though I do have that Chemi Pure stuff on hand for later. I bought a couple bags of filter floss but haven't added that yet. ( I have a 14 gallon set up for about two weeks and all my numbers on that one came back excellent over the past two days. I am still waiting a week for CUC as suggested though it's killing me :)

Nancy

Okay why not worry about the screws rusting?

Allen

I'm not worried when it comes to the metal corroding and getting into the water. Lets be realistic, rust from 4 little (freaking tiny) screws isn't going to crash a tank or cause any negative side effect, imo......

I am a bit worried about them getting rusted to the point of never being able to get them out if I need to, might look into replacements for that purpose.

I'm not worried when it comes to the metal corroding and getting into the water. Lets be realistic, rust from 4 little (freaking tiny) screws isn't going to crash a tank or cause any negative side effect, imo......

I am a bit worried about them getting rusted to the point of never being able to get them out if I need to, might look into replacements for that purpose.

That's what I ment what if you needed to get them out!

NancyPichette
Allen,

Thanks! I have just had this one running about 3 days. The rock is cured and uncured but I had it in a barrel of saltwater with powerhead and heater for over a week. I just took my numbers today and they are:

Amonia .50

PH 7.8-8.0

Nitrate 5.0

Nitrite 1.0

Temp 78-79

Salinity 1.025

So far the only thing I changed in the back was remove sponge from fiter area and add live rock. I kept those rings for now but put them in another chamber, should I discard them also? I also kept the charcoal media though I do have that Chemi Pure stuff on hand for later. I bought a couple bags of filter floss but haven't added that yet. ( I have a 14 gallon set up for about two weeks and all my numbers on that one came back excellent over the past two days. I am still waiting a week for CUC as suggested though it's killing me :)

Nancy

I have been looking online at CUC and notice one package came with a goby another with a Blenny. Is it save to add gobies or Blennies at the same time as the CUC? This is a list of some of the fish and things I would like to add to the 28 gallon and 14 gallon. I welcome any comments on what will or won't work. I am not thinking of adding everything on the list, just possibilities.

28 Gallon Stock List

FISH

Mystery Wrasse

OR

Labout's Fairy Wrasse

Black & White False Percula

Bi Color Blenny

Royal Gramma

Possible Goby

Purple Firefish Goby

Green Clown Goby

Shrimp Goby- Pink and Blue (like comp of pistol shrimp)

Shrimpgoby - Randall

Shrimpgoby -Yellow Watchman

Coral

Yellow Toadstool

Yellow Polyps

Zoos Lime

Leather Tree Colored

14 Gallon Stock

2 False Percula Clownfish-Aquacultured

( What is best ? True or False Percula?)

Bubble Tip Anenome or other kind ? I'm open to suggestions.

Possible Blennie or Goby?

I'm still looking, just trying to stay busy and keep my mind of the Cycling process, though I'm pretty sure the 14 gallon is ready for a cleanup crew :)

Nancy

I have been looking online at CUC and notice one package came with a goby another with a Blenny. Is it save to add gobies or Blennies at the same time as the CUC? This is a list of some of the fish and things I would like to add to the 28 gallon and 14 gallon. I welcome any comments on what will or won't work. I am not thinking of adding everything on the list, just possibilities.

28 Gallon Stock List

FISH

Mystery Wrasse

OR

Labout's Fairy Wrasse

Black & White False Percula

Bi Color Blenny

Royal Gramma

Possible Goby

Purple Firefish Goby

Green Clown Goby

Shrimp Goby- Pink and Blue (like comp of pistol shrimp)

Shrimpgoby - Randall

Shrimpgoby -Yellow Watchman

Coral

Yellow Toadstool

Yellow Polyps

Zoos Lime

Leather Tree Colored

14 Gallon Stock

2 False Percula Clownfish-Aquacultured

( What is best ? True or False Percula?)

Bubble Tip Anenome or other kind ? I'm open to suggestions.

Possible Blennie or Goby?

I'm still looking, just trying to stay busy and keep my mind of the Cycling process, though I'm pretty sure the 14 gallon is ready for a cleanup crew :)

Nancy

Hey Nancy,

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction, remember go slow!

I would take the ceramic rings out of the filter.

If you add a fish with your CUC you will be adding a larger bioload to your tank and it will be harder for the tank to handle so you may want to hold off on the fish!

Allen

NancyPichette
Hey Nancy,

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction, remember go slow!

I would take the ceramic rings out of the filter.

If you add a fish with your CUC you will be adding a larger bioload to your tank and it will be harder for the tank to handle so you may want to hold off on the fish!

Allen

Thanks! Already took out the rings ( I had quite a bit of live rock pieces left and through them in the back chambers. And I will hold off on the fish. I am going to do exactly as told :)

Nancy

NancyPichette

What does everyone keep the wave makers on? Or has everyone already replaced them :) I can't really tell about the flow since I don't have anything in there except rock.

Thanks Nancy

Tank started January of 2008.

Mods:

PC lighting upgrade from nanotuners

Current 1/15 chiller

Reefkeeper II

JBJ auto top off

2 Two little fishes phosban reactors. 1 runs chemipure the other runs chaeto with DIY light

Aqua C protein skimmer

Nano koralia and a korali #1

Planned mods

Liter meterIII due in this week

Electronic ballast upgrade from nanotuners

Parameters

SG 1.025

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

DKH 10

Ca 440

Mg 1350

Phosphates 0 however i think the test kit I have is not very good.

I am not very good at taking pictures ( I blame the camera :angry: )

The only livestock plans right now are to trade in 2 of the 4 anemones. They split shortly after getting them.

tank.jpg

NancyPichette
Thanks! Already took out the rings ( I had quite a bit of live rock pieces left and through them in the back chambers. And I will hold off on the fish. I am going to do exactly as told :)

Nancy

Okay, so I tried to do exactly as told! But it is soooo hard. I added some snails (it has almost been a week and I was having trouble finding them) and two red leg and blue leg crabs. The fish store has a couple of baby frogspawn and a hammerhead ( I think it's called) could I add these? The crabs and snails seem to be doing great! I read up on the frogspawn and realize it can be dangerous to other corals. It is either this or a anemone . I have two aquariums so I can always keep just corals that would be safe with this one and not mix others who could be harmed.

Thanks again for advice and I am really trying to take it. I just had to see life of some kind .

Nancy

tank.jpg

very nice eternal.. what fishes do you have in there... I see a Hooded wrasse and some kind of flasher?

pretty cool... keep up the good work... :)

Thanks marvin. I have a scaled rosy fin fairy wrasse, mcoskers flasher wrasse, and 2 clown fish. Both the wrasses get along great. I had only the flasher wrasse for a long time and he hid a lot but since the addition of the rosy wrasse they both stay out in the open. :D

NancyPichette
Okay, so I tried to do exactly as told! But it is soooo hard. I added some snails (it has almost been a week and I was having trouble finding them) and two red leg and blue leg crabs. The fish store has a couple of baby frogspawn and a hammerhead ( I think it's called) could I add these? The crabs and snails seem to be doing great! I read up on the frogspawn and realize it can be dangerous to other corals. It is either this or a anemone . I have two aquariums so I can always keep just corals that would be safe with this one and not mix others who could be harmed.

Thanks again for advice and I am really trying to take it. I just had to see life of some kind .

Nancy

My 28 Gallon had been cycling since Oct 6th. The past few days have had brown stuff all over. I have had the lights on because I am hoping to save any life that may be in the rocks. Anything to worry about? My 14 gallon didn't get this bad during the cycle. I'm thinking because I used more uncured rock in this one. I say uncured but it was never really bad. I received it in water and soaked it in a different setup before adding to this tank for a least a week. It never had a bad smell and I changed the water and scrubed really well. I will check my numbers and post a little later.

Thanks Nancy

post-39168-1224101048_thumb.jpg post-39168-1224101007_thumb.jpg

post-39168-1224101035_thumb.jpg post-39168-1224101098_thumb.jpg

Archived