Top Shelf Aquatics

28g JBJ HQI Club....

MarvinsReef

Chuck h how was putting that deltec 300 skimmer in the back of the tank was it easy .Any mods that you hade to do..And what side is the skimmer on the left or right side.. Curious were the intake tube is in the back chambers and were the return tube pours the water back in.. thx's again..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Am also new to the reef setup's and Nano Tanks. But here are a couple of pics of my Tank

This is my Tank Cycling

105 Watt CF Quad hood

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

Moon Leds On

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

Thought i would post a new pic the tank is now 10 months old

DSC_0002.jpg

Fish

Green Chromis (took him back to LFS in order to lower my bioload)

Occ. clownfish (2)

Firefish Goby

black cap Jawfish

Inverts

Cleaner shrimp

Peppermint shrimp

Hermits

Snails

Emerald crab

Tuxedo urchin

Coral

Red Acan

Kenya Leather

Yellow Polyp

Pulsing Xenia

Lunar Eclipse Zoa

Equipment

JBJ Nano Cube HQI

150 watt 14k Metal halide

100w heater

Stock Protine Skimmer

Two Stock Return Pumps

Coralife Digital Thermometer

Koralia 2

JBJ LED Nano-Glow

urbaneks media basket

Filteration

Poly-Fill

Chem-Pure

Cheato

purigen

Well add me to the list. I just ordered a 28hqi. It should arrive the week before I go on a trip though so it may take a bit to set it up. I'm upgrading from an NC12. I'll be ordering a bunch of marco rocks and their epoxy-cement stuff the week I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is quite off subject, but here goes:

After 1 year, I put on a 20k Radium Bulb about 4 months ago. Recently, the lights will automatically shut off after a half hour of running for roughly 5 minutes then start back up.

Other posters said that some wires might be burnt due to the hot temperatures internally. If so, what wires would I change, or how do I even change a ballast? I'm a bit clumsy with do it yourself mods, so the main reason that I chose this all in one tank was to try and prevent me doing any work on the equipment itself.

If anyone could please help out it would be much appreciated.

I know this is quite off subject, but here goes:

After 1 year, I put on a 20k Radium Bulb about 4 months ago. Recently, the lights will automatically shut off after a half hour of running for roughly 5 minutes then start back up.

Other posters said that some wires might be burnt due to the hot temperatures internally. If so, what wires would I change, or how do I even change a ballast? I'm a bit clumsy with do it yourself mods, so the main reason that I chose this all in one tank was to try and prevent me doing any work on the equipment itself.

If anyone could please help out it would be much appreciated.

the nano cube hqi has a heat thing where if the bulb or anything gets to hot it will shut off i had this happen when i got a new bulb also. all i did was just add a fan to the back chambers which blew air through the grate in the back which i guess cooled the light because its not turning off anymore. another thing i did was open up the holes on the inside of the reflector a little more so that it was easier for the hood fans to push/pull air across the bulb. hth and let me know if you dont get it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Reefaddix: The first thing that comes to my mind is the overheathing thermal switch which i placed somewere in the hood. I think the problem lies in bad fans or dust buildups or both... (sry for the bad english)

//Chris

clownfish & chriscross:

thanks for your responses guys. i've been away for work and came back to a tank that is not doing well. my 2 clams are upset and my brain coral is the worst i've ever seen it.

i added a dual azoo fan on the back, lowered the temperature in the apartment 4 degrees, opened up the fixture and looked for dust... but it's still doing the shutoff/on cycle.

what should i do? i'm thinking of just buying a sunpod but i do not want to lose the look of the sealed hood. really panicking w/ the livestock not doing well... please help

wanted to send an update:

the fans had a TON of dust buildup; now that it's all gone the lights have gone the longest w/o a shutoff... crossing my fingers here!

clownfish & chriscross:

thanks for your responses guys. i've been away for work and came back to a tank that is not doing well. my 2 clams are upset and my brain coral is the worst i've ever seen it.

i added a dual azoo fan on the back, lowered the temperature in the apartment 4 degrees, opened up the fixture and looked for dust... but it's still doing the shutoff/on cycle.

what should i do? i'm thinking of just buying a sunpod but i do not want to lose the look of the sealed hood. really panicking w/ the livestock not doing well... please help

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The tank is five months old now thought I would give a before and after update :)

This is how it looks today. last pic is how it started.

post-43204-1251575800_thumb.jpg

post-43204-1251575812_thumb.jpg

Beautiful Rock

• 7 months later...

Bumping a very old thread.

For those with an Aquafuge on the back,, do you run a fan to cool the water? I currently have a azoo fan and am planning out my fuge/sump. Thinking between the aquafuge 2 (medium) and a CPR 50 overflow and making a sump (rather not do)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

well i'm not really new, but i'm a youngster in the hobby. i've had my jbj since january last year, and started in feb of this year. so recently (last week) i delt with just about everything dying in my jbj. only to find out it was nothing i did, but my wife bombing my apartment. so because she doesn't share my love for the hobby, she doesn't know the do's n' don'ts of the hobby. and that was the reasoning of my jbj's death. so i've done some mod's to the tank. i went and took the stock media basket out, because i noticed water flowing out of the top of it and not through it. and i've seen everyone convert to the inmediabasket.com's media basket. just couldn't imagine paying that money. so i made my own with some light diffusion plastic, basically egg crate, and acrylic. and made a shelf. so i hang my chemipure for the egg crate, and filter floss on top of that, because i had 35 lbs of live rock in the tank that was my main source of bio filtration. this made water flow all around the media bag, and filter floss, after about a week notice a slight design flaw, the acrylic restricted the flow of water causing detrius build up. so i took it out and cut about 4 by 1/4th" slits on each pieces of acrylic sheet i used to support the egg crate to allow more flow, i've also added mj1100 (295 gph) utilty pumps replacing the stock accel pumps. lifted the hood due to heating issues. which has kinda worked. next step is an azoo fan for the back. i had a biocube skimmer which i modded, by getting a medium gravel vacuum tube. elongating it to about 10" which allows for more water to bubble contact time. which allows for more organics to get pulled out. thats about it for mods so far. my next step is a diy led build in which i'm also going to attach the hood to a automatic pully system where i can lift the hood up and down with out hinges. should be interesting, and will post picks of the build.

• 1 year later...

Hi I'm a new member in need of some help.

My Nano 28 HQ1 ballast just died after 1 3/4 years of use. As many of you know JBJ no longer carries this ballast.

Any suggestions on how or where to replace this unit?

JBJ stated just up grade to the new LED units. Paid a ton for this lid.

Any members recently upgraded and have the ballast available?

Any suggestions would be appreciate.

Thanks

Archived