Pod Your Reef

28g JBJ HQI Club....

MarvinsReef

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the wave maker, so there is 2 pumps but only 1 on at a time. And I dont run the skimmer in a power outage. I go for max battery life so a Pump and heater is all I need to make sure they stay alive. In the summer I can pop open the top for oxygen and heat supression if needed.

I use the wave maker, so there is 2 pumps but only 1 on at a time. And I dont run the skimmer in a power outage. I go for max battery life so a Pump and heater is all I need to make sure they stay alive. In the summer I can pop open the top for oxygen and heat supression if needed.

Summer is a whole 'nother story. EXCEPT, wait a minute, what of the blasted chiller? In this case, I'd fill plastic bottles with cold tap water and float them in the tank.

Congratulations on weathering this storm, though! Happy New Year!

I'm cycling my tank so I haven't tested power consumption of the skimmer. I consider it to be non-eaential during a power outtage.

Today I ran a test with the Black and Decker Electromate 400. It's a battery source for camping and jumpstarting cars. It's electric, so it may be great for those of you in apartments and condos. I purchased it for 99$.

The test: room temp was 60 degrees. Tank temp was 75. 1 stock pump, and Stealth 50w heater ran for 3 hours. I thought that was pretty good for a100$ solution.. The tank temp dropped 2 degrees. A bit disapponting. I'll try the 100w heater tomorrow.

btw: someone mentioned the 100w heater drawing 100w. I believe the 100w is the heat output rating, not the draw. Please see my previous post (typing on my iPhone now so I can't cut and paste). My 100w heater requires 177w input.

forgot to mention... you can recharge the Electromate from your car.

I haven't committed to this, however 3 hrs gets us through the " common" power outtage, and gives time to scrambel into other solutions. I guess if I had 2 I could charge one in the car while using the other.

Duracell has a 600 which I am looking into.

I wonder if they still make those hampster running on a wheel power suppliers anymore....? :lol: 1 lb of food and a mate for em and we should be good for 2 days.

lmao. I'm willing to run on a wheel if it keeps the tank alive.

more info. The Duracell is 28amp-hrs, it's made by Xantrex which offers many options including 40ah, 50ah to whole house battery backup. check em out at Xantrex.com

ok, I'm done. someone post some tank pics!

Dutch_Reefer
Check out this link Dutch Tunze hood cut

Down the page there's some pics of it in the back of the tank and the hood with cut made for cup to fit.

Thanks viinse! I have read the article and came up with 2 questions:

1. would a StevieT cup fit so that you don't have to cut in to the hood?

2. and this is more general, what does ORA stands for? I see a lot of ORA coral..

I am almost done with buying all the hardware so I can start really soon, I will post pics in my thread in the members aquariums section...

Greetings,

Marcel

Come on guys, Anyone got info on the fuge in middle compartment and cutting out one of those back dividers?

Help a brotha out!

Another 3 week delay on the Warner Marine H1 HoB skimmer... so the review is delayed... again omgomgomg

Is that the only place that has it?

Are you going to have to shave your tank lip or does this one have a wider hanging bracket?

many places have it but its on backorder from WM, supposedly im not going to have to shave it since this new one has a wider lip... we will see. (I shaved part of it for the tunze anyways)

Dutch_Reefer

Thanks viinse!

I already discovered that StevieT also has JBJ 28g collector cups... I guess I will order one soon...

Yesterday I went out for hardware but came back with a beautiful small purple sand anemone :D . It's in my current tank now but when it is in the NanoCube I will add a pair of porcelain crabs to inhabit the sandanemone. That should look awesome!

Greetings,

Marcel

anyone else have problems with the stock skimmer? I hooked mine up for the first time. I get an empty cup, or a cup full of water. It also doesn't seem to stay attached.

I'd like to have that chamber free for my 2nd heater. Any feedback on a hang on back skimmer.

I MADE MY FUGE! Nobody responded so I just went crazy. Had to remove a bunch of stuff in the back chambers (the plastic separating walls).

So far so good! Pics to come on my thread

I MADE MY FUGE! Nobody responded so I just went crazy. Had to remove a bunch of stuff in the back chambers (the plastic separating walls).

So far so good! Pics to come on my thread

awesome... congrats... hopefully, the pics will help others that want to do a similar mod... thanks for sharing... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question on the matching stand that goes with this tank. Does anyone know the weight limits for the stand? I assume since they sell it for this tank it can easily handle the weight but it just doesn't look that strong to me for some reason?? Any input before I buy a stand for my tank?

I am not sure which stand you are referring to; I have the stand that can house the chiller!

I can tell you that I used wood glue when I put my stand together and it is very sturdy.

The biggest problem is that the instructions that come with the stand are a joke but common sense will prevail!

Allen

I guess I am cool now :P

Started: Jan 24th 2009

Gear: 28g Tank

1/15 hp Mini Artica - the guy I bought it from broke it..

Mods: dimmer for LED's

Livestock: 2 green chromis, 1 small colony of bright green zoa's

DSCF2352.jpg

It's not much but for how new the tank is what can you expect?

I guess I am cool now :P

Started: Jan 24th 2009

Gear: 28g Tank

1/15 hp Mini Artica - the guy I bought it from broke it..

Mods: dimmer for LED's

Livestock: 2 green chromis, 1 small colony of bright green zoa's

DSCF2352.jpg

It's not much but for how new the tank is what can you expect?

I like that setup alot! best luck

I posted this in another thread, but I think it might get more attention here..

Does anyone have problems with flow through the media basket in the center chamber? The issue I have is that the chamber just fills up with water and overflows into the back. I don't think anything even drips down into the 2nd and 3rd chambers, and is mostly just stagnant water back there.

I am just running filter floss in the top and I still have this issue.. If I load up chemi-pure and LR in the other two chambers it is even worse. Any ideas on how to fix this? I think the biggest problem is that the center chamber is always full of water, which means gravity will not force the water through the entire media basket.. it just simply overflows and drips into the return pump chamber

I am new here and don't have a tank yet. I have been doing a lot of research on "All in one tanks" and I am leaning towards the 28g JBJ HQI tank. I was hoping to start out with a tank that I didn't have to mod to much and wanted to ask all of you that have this tank if you need to make any major mods right out of the box. I have read where some have changed the fans. Is this something that has to be done or can your tank survive without a fan change? Any other mods that need to be made?

I posted this in another thread, but I think it might get more attention here..

Does anyone have problems with flow through the media basket in the center chamber? The issue I have is that the chamber just fills up with water and overflows into the back. I don't think anything even drips down into the 2nd and 3rd chambers, and is mostly just stagnant water back there.

I am just running filter floss in the top and I still have this issue.. If I load up chemi-pure and LR in the other two chambers it is even worse. Any ideas on how to fix this? I think the biggest problem is that the center chamber is always full of water, which means gravity will not force the water through the entire media basket.. it just simply overflows and drips into the return pump chamber

I have the 28cube and dont seem to have a problem with it backing up.

I will say this.. i'm looking forward to putting a stevie T rack back there and getting rid of the basket altogether once stevie is able to build the rack for the nano.

i want to put my chaeto in the center chamber with the small light that he sells. my chaeto has been in my display behind the rocks and its caused some flow issues.

cant imagine why yours is backing up.. is your water level low enough so that the overflow is actually pulling water from the display into the back chamber? that would be my best guess.

Archived