ReefCleaners.org

how much CUC for a 15 gal

skipro

How much CUC should i have for my 15 gal reef? The reef is a month old and is going through the diatome algae stage. i currently have 1 turbo snail and 1 small cleaner shrimp.

hey, check out this site www.reefcleaners.org

I got my entire crew from them

They are Great

I have a huge CUC for my tank and they are rather entertaining

Cooper

I have like 1 crab and 1 snail per gallon in my 28 gallon most!

I have read in a book "101 Marine Inverts" that the 1 snail or crab per gallon is way too high. I stocked my 29 gal biocube with 10 snails and 8 hermits, a shrimp and an emerald crab. I had bought this tank used and already running, but had an ammonia spike from the traveling which necessitated my starting nearly from scratch. The CUC did a great job immediately, cleaning up the red slime and hair algae.

After reading the author's opinion I took half of my snails and hermits and transfered them to a newly cycled 24 gallon nanocube that I had bought just before the other one. I will just add maybe an emerald to that tank and a shrimp.

Apparently once things get in balance the larger CUC can't be supported and can get starved without extra algae or nori added

I have read in a book "101 Marine Inverts" that the 1 snail or crab per gallon is way too high.

+1

dont know that book, but its definately too high.

However it also highly depends on your individual tank, inhabitants, lights and rate of growth/decay for the things in there.

My 14 biocube has 3 snails, 3 crabs, and a peppermint shrimp. My 8 gallon and 2.5 both have 1 snail and 1 crab each. This is on the low end for a CUC, but I like to keep my bioload low. Plus I was tired of my snails getting stuck upside down, behind liverock, and bulldozing over all my corals.

I use a turkey baster once a day to blow detritus off the rocks, and replace my filter floss every other day. Plus the fuge on my 14 gallon keeps the algae in the display tank in check.

My cleaner shrimp makes short work of any dead or dying organisms in my main tank..

Archived