Innovative Marine Aquariums

Zen reef tank, suggestions?

forehandj

Hey guys, my tank has been up and running for about a month with nothing but some macro algae and some copepods and some really stubborn red slime algae (either that or its diatoms, not sure which). I was walking through my LFS the other day and realized that we shove way too much stuff into our aquariums (even his 1000 gallon aquarium was over stocked). I'm taking a course in Zen buddhism at my univesrity and decided what I'm going to do is just raise one species, and keep it small for that matter.

So I want some feedback as to what kind of species I might consider coral wise? I want to stick with T5's so that probably takes SPS out of the equation. Since I'm only doing one species of coral and probably a soft coral at that I want it to be somewhat colorful. I have a 20 gallon high tank, with a 10 gallon sump. I'm going to wait until my LR is covered with coralline. I want to add some hermit crabs, probably scarlet legged hermit crabs. A few snails, maybe some reef safe cowries (a LFS down the street gets some in every now and again) with a citron goby.

So we're talking about a very purple tank (hopefully) with a yellow goby. Any suggestions? Oh yeah and heavy on the actinics. I'm thinking I'm going to upgrade to a 4x24 W sundial fixture around christmas time. I'll post a picture of my tank ASAP.

post-38007-1222808543_thumb.jpg

I want to stick with T5's so that probably takes SPS out of the equation.

Do this to whoever told you that: :slap:

I would think that having an SPS tank would be very peaceful, provided you had only a few colonies and a very limited rock structure. Or you could do a macroalgae tank. I think duncan had some type of zen tank using just an algae covered rock with even "raked sand". Also, you shouldn't go heavy on actinics since there are many T5 bulbs (like the ATI blue plus) that eliminate the need for pure actinics.

get less rock. for a zen look. and add some nice sea grass. and keep the corals to a few simple but nice powerful colors. basically "kiss" it. manatee grass might be good. or even oar grass from john at reefcleaners

The algae is diatoms, a bunch of different color zoanthids would look sweet! As for sps, the goby might nip at them so I wouldn't suggest that. As for the T5's you could keep anything. :)

Thanks guys, I've got some pura complete in a filter sock in my return pump chamber. Its suppose to remove silicates but I guess not all that quickly. my phosphates are probably an issue as well (started with bleached coral skeleton from marcorocks).

I agree with others re the macroalgae...I especially like this one: http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=sho...t&Itemid=34

(Dragon's Breath) at ReefCleaner's if I screwed up the linkage.

+1 about being able to keep SPS with T5s (as long as they are HO or VHO I would think)

I really love soft corals that "flow" so I like frogspawns, clove polyps, xenia, etc.

I am creating a "therapy tank" for my therapy office hoping for the same kind of soothing effect. Unfortunately, I am wondering if I made a poor fish selection. I bought a very brightly colored fish and am now wishing I picked something more soothing!

Reallybright and blue T5 lighting with a few SPS species would look great, especially with minimal rock work. I bet some birds nest varieties or digitalia would be great. Acros are possible, just make sure the tank is mature and very well lit.

a ricordea garden would be bad ass too

So I rearranged the LR today, I think this arrangement is more fitting to what I'm trying to do. Funny though, nothing remotely zen about rearranging LR. I said a lot of stuff that was very not zen whilst rearranging these rocks, mostly at the top of my lungs.

I keep seeing these frags at my LFS, they have really small polyps (probably less than a half inch accross) they're really colorful. Have to remember to ask what they are one of these days. I'm assuming zoas of some description? They had a jewel gonipora that looked similar but was pretty much all red. I definitely don't want the jewel gonipora, read that they are almost impossible to care for.

Anyone think some galaxea would be cool as it'll be the only species in the tank? I'll probably go soft until this aquarium really matures (>1yr).

post-38007-1222908647_thumb.jpg

Archived